PDA

View Full Version : Beginner looking for a teacher

McGafkoc
April 9th, 2017, 04:12
I only have the demo version and have no clue how the program works. I'm looking for someone to help teach me how to use the program and then either has a quest I can join or if you have a game I can join after my training has been completed set that up so I can. :rv:

dulux-oz
April 9th, 2017, 04:36
Hi McGafkoc, and Welcome! to the Community,

You'll have a lot of fun in this ho9bby and with this software, and although this post doesn't directly answer your request (although I'm sure one of the others will be along shortly to help out) while you're waiting, if you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

JohnD
April 9th, 2017, 17:18
Welcome! You can help by listing the rulesets or kind of game you would want to play afterwards. Some rulesets are more complex than others.

McGafkoc
April 9th, 2017, 17:25
Welcome! You can help by listing the rulesets or kind of game you would want to play afterwards. Some rulesets are more complex than others.

I want to play dnd not sure which edition as I've only played 2e and it's not on the list.

JohnD
April 9th, 2017, 19:49
Ah! Well then you really do have some choices. 3.5e, Pathfinder, Castles and Crusades and the juggernaut 5e.

If you think of yourself as an "old school" type, there's an AD&D ruleset in the wotks by at least two members of the community.

C&C and 5e are the ones I personally know the best.

Teufelhunde87
April 10th, 2017, 10:33
I only have the demo version and have no clue how the program works. I'm looking for someone to help teach me how to use the program and then either has a quest I can join or if you have a game I can join after my training has been completed set that up so I can. :rv:

I watched a lot of you tube videos of groups running campaigns (and still do!) LOL. That helps you see how others interact with the Interface.
Our Friday night game is streamed live on this site. https://www.twitch.tv/starsickle

Greg

JohnD
April 10th, 2017, 22:57
If some skanky old dude wants you to go to the Jedi temple and kill a bunch of kids, try to find a different mentor.

Halaku
April 11th, 2017, 09:34
Hi McGafkoc

What time zone are you in?
I'm not the most experienced here and I don't have a game you could join but if times work out I would be willing to run you through the basics of the FG interface.
I could run you through a quick encounter to get you used to the combat tracker for 5e.

--Halaku

Rhakadishu
April 11th, 2017, 20:36
If you dont have discord, you should join it! There is a FG channel that I use religiously for help. Also, I can help you learn the system, Im usually on in the afternoons and willing to run combat encounters and what not to help others learn, Send me a MSG here or on discord BadassBard! Join the FG discord here: https://discord.gg/KbVsjgx

Halaku
April 11th, 2017, 22:55
Rhakadishu makes a good point the FG Discord is super useful, there are often people on there quite willing to help you out.

Halaku
April 19th, 2017, 10:49
If you still want someone to run you through Fantasy Grounds I could do that tomorrow evening GMT (Thursday 20th)