PDA

View Full Version : Sword of Life Stealing Effects

Embelyon
April 8th, 2017, 04:56
I'm trying to model the effects of a life stealing sword in fantasy grounds and I'm having some trouble working out how to model this

"When you attack a creature with this magic weapon and roll a 20 on the attack roll, that target takes an extra 3d6 necrotic damage, provided that the target isn't a construct or an undead. You gain temporary hit points equal to the extra damage dealt."

I can make an effect to do an extra 3d6 necrotic damage on a crit, but I'm having trouble making the rest fit. IFT: type(!construct, !undead); DMG: 3d6 necrotic, critical; doesn't seem to work even though that would seems like the way it should be done. Would I have to type(everything except undead and construct) for that to work. That seems like an oversight.

I also can't figure out how to add any healing effects to a hit, but that might be a lost cause.

Zacchaeus
April 8th, 2017, 11:36
Yes, you will have to list all of the creature types affected leaving out the constricts and undeads. The '!' doesn't work to reverse the logic in this kind of statement.

Once you have hit the creature and the necrotic damage has been dealt drag and drop the result back into chat; and then drag that figure and drop it onto the PCs TMP hit point box to deal with the second part of the equation.

LordEntrails
April 8th, 2017, 18:57
I've got to go with Mr. Z on this. I wouldn't try to automate everything. Just make the effects and have the player apply them when necessary. It will help keep them aware of their special abilities, and what makes them special.

Kelevraa
January 31st, 2021, 16:42
I know this is old, but might help someone in the future. I did

DMG: 10, necrotic, critical; IFT: TYPE (construct, undead); DMG: -10, necrotic, critical

and it works fine. Idk if I need the second necrotic on there... but it works so I'm leaving it alone.

FyreM
August 18th, 2021, 09:19
and now, 7 months after the last post:

if you have the Constitutional Amendments extention (search the Forge for it), you can also get the 10 TempHP
DMG: 10, necrotic, critical, stealtemp; IFT: TYPE (construct, undead); DMG: -10, necrotic, critical, stealtemp