PDA

View Full Version : This thing looks really good

Tailz Silver Paws
December 21st, 2005, 02:42
I've only just noticed Fantasy Grounds and downloaded the demo to see what it is like, so far from my tinkering with the demo I think its a great bit of software and I am looking forwards to getting the full version - then getting my players adicted to it.

But is it posible to setup different systems? I have read on the boards that there is work underware for d20 Modern - but what about others mods? I am working on my own d20 SRD for World War II and I'd love to mod it to fit this software... is this something that I could do with this software?

Other than that, I like what I have seen so far.

Snikle
December 21st, 2005, 02:53
It takes a bit of understand xml (which isnt all that hard really) but it can be done. A few people on here have created their own rulesets.

Tailz Silver Paws
December 21st, 2005, 02:58
It takes a bit of understand xml (which isnt all that hard really) but it can be done. A few people on here have created their own rulesets.
Hhhmmm.... making pretty pictures and writting text is my thing - programmng makes my head hurt. :confused:

Doswelk
December 21st, 2005, 14:18
Hhhmmm.... making pretty pictures and writting text is my thing - programmng makes my head hurt. :confused:

It's not really that bad...

The most daunting thing is tryiong to work what xml does what, but once you work that out it's quite straight forward.

For example, I'm creating a D20 Modern SRD, and for that I'm using the RTF files that you can get from Wizards, I copy the rtf (including tables) into Dreamweaver and then edit the resulting html to make it compatible with FG.

Time consuming but not impossible.

Tailz Silver Paws
December 21st, 2005, 22:33
It's not really that bad...

The most daunting thing is tryiong to work what xml does what, but once you work that out it's quite straight forward.

For example, I'm creating a D20 Modern SRD, and for that I'm using the RTF files that you can get from Wizards, I copy the rtf (including tables) into Dreamweaver and then edit the resulting html to make it compatible with FG.

Time consuming but not impossible.

I can write HTML, but xml?? I don't have the foggyiest idea.
Once I have finished my World War II text, someone want to convert it for FG ;)

richvalle
December 21st, 2005, 23:32
If you can do html I think you can do xml.

What you do is find a free xml editor (I've used Altova) and then poke around the existing FG files. For the most part, you don't want to create xml but substitue your information for what is there now.

If you look around the website there are some screen shots of what people have done already. I think two of the best were the Adventure! one and a Star Wars one. Both were created quite a while ago so you'll have to dig back pretty far. What I liked about them is how they changed the default images to match their theme. Look at the screenies and you'll see what I mean.

-I've- never done it, but if you have the time I'm sure you can do it. Just start messing around and post questions here and you'll be on your way.

rv