PDA

View Full Version : Data Library Limitations for FG on Macs?

bigbluepaw
April 7th, 2017, 01:38
Hey all. I've got FG installed on a Windows machine that I primarily use when I play. I have the data library folder within my Google Drive folder. That gets replicated on Google Drive just fine.

I have tried to get FG on my Mac to point to the same folder that is duplicated on my Mac, but for some reason, it never sees it.

I installed FG from Steam.

Are there some limitations I don't know about here?

ddavison
April 7th, 2017, 01:52
We don't recommend using Google Drive or any other automatically synced location for your Data Directory. It has been reported to cause corruption issues if a sync occurs while you are still in the application. Instead, we recommend using these services to transfer files between devices or machines only after Fantasy Grounds is not running.

For the Mac version, launch FG and click on the folder icon to open your Data Directory. Copy from the Google Drive into that folder.

bigbluepaw
April 7th, 2017, 01:57
Got it. Thanks. I can do that manual replication.

One thing though: even when I went through and selected the folder in the Google Drive manually, it changed it back to some other directory.

Again, I'll make that manual change, but is there a reason it keeps changing from the directory I selected?

ddavison
April 7th, 2017, 02:12
Are you referring to the browse window where you select the Data Directory within the Settings screen?

The version from Steam is a WINE implementation wrapped up as a single .app file. The data directory and program directories are actually *inside* of that .app file. You can access it by using Show Contents and then navigating further within it. I suspect there might be some additional steps you would need to do to access a path found outside of the .app file, but I would have to refer that over to our more experienced Mac users.

bigbluepaw
April 7th, 2017, 02:13
OK. Understood. I think you are right. It keeps changing that directory to within a wineskin folder.

ddavison
April 7th, 2017, 02:15
I think you can do it by using symbolic links, but again, it's not my area of expertise. Zeus has done that, I'm pretty sure.