PDA

View Full Version : A player made class for d20 fantasy

EisenSturm
December 20th, 2005, 20:11
This is a base class for d20 fantasy I made. I would like to here feedback about it. CLASS:Slayer, ALIGNMENT:Any, HIT DIE: D10, CLASS SKILLS:Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), SKILL POINTS AT FIRST LEVEL: (4+Int modifier)x4, SKILL POINTS AT EACH ADDITIONAL LEVEL:4+Int modifier,
Table:The Slayer
Level____BaseAttackBonus____FS___RS___WS__________ Special_______
_1st__________+1___________+2____+0____+0_Track, 1st Favored Enemy
_2nd_________+2____________+3____+0____+0___ Favored Weapon_____
_3rd__________+3___________+3____+1____+1_____ Bonus Feat________
_4th__________+4___________+4____+1____+1___ Favored Weapon______
_5th__________+5___________+4____+1____+1__2nd Favored Enemy____
_6th_________+6/+1_________+5____+2____+2_______________________
_7th_________+7/+2_________+5____+2____+2_____Bonus Feat________
_8th_________+8/+3_________+6____+2____+2___Favored Weapon______
_9th_________+9/+4_________+6____+3____+3_______________________
10th________+10/+5_________+7____+3____+3__3rd Favored Enemy_____
11th_______+11/+6/+1_______+7____+3____+3_______________________
12th_______+12/+7/+2_______+8____+4____+4___Favored Weapon______
13th_______+13/+8/+3_______+8____+4____+4_____Bonus Feat_________
14th_______+14/+9/+4_______+9____+4____+4_______________________
15th______+15/+10/+5_______+9____+5____+5__4th Favored Enemy_____
16th_____+16/+11/+6/+1_____+10___+5____+5_______________________
17th_____+17/+12/+7/+2_____+10___+5____+5_____Bonus Feat_________
18th_____+18/+13/+8/+3_____+11___+6____+6_______________________
19th_____+19/+14/+9/+4_____+11___+6____+6________________________
20th_____+20/+15/+10/+5____+12___+6____+6__5th Favored Enemy______
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLASS FEATURES: WEAPON AND ARMOR PROFICIENCY: A Slayer is proficient with all simple and martial weapons,with shields (not tower shields),and light and medium armor.TRACK: The Slayer gains track as a bonus feat. FAVORED ENEMY: The Slayer's favored enemy feature is the same as the ranger's. FAVORED WEAPON: At 2nd level a Slayer selects a weapon with witch he is proficient, that weapon is the slayer's favored weapon. At 2nd level the Slayer gains weapon focus for his favored weapon as a bonus feat. At 4th level he gains weapon specialization for his favored weapon. At 8th level he gains greater weapon focus for his favored weapon. At 12th level he gains greater weapon specialization for his favored weapon. All of these feats may be gained without the normal prerequisites. BONUS FEATS: At 3rd, 7th, 13th, and 17th level the slayer may select a bonus feat from this list, Diehard, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Toughness, the slayer must meet any prerequisites.----------------------------------
I origanally had an idea for a dragon slayer class, but quickly decided to make it generic because somebody might want to play this class in a campaign without dragons. so what do people think of it? Go easy on me this is my first serious try.

devinnight
December 20th, 2005, 21:45
I think it looks pretty good. Maybe just a bit heavy on the Feats, but I am not super familiar with proper balance so who knows.
I like it though.
-D

EisenSturm
December 21st, 2005, 02:17
I have removed armor proficiency heavy.

Sigurd
December 21st, 2005, 04:49
So he gets 3 more bonus feats than a fighter and 56 more skill points. Does he give up anything?

EisenSturm
December 21st, 2005, 13:31
So he gets 3 more bonus feats than a fighter and 56 more skill points. Does he give up anything?
Armor proficiency heavy and tower sheild proficiency. I guess I was comparing it more to the ranger. A ranger gets more skills, more reflex saves, favored enemy just as much, combat mastery instead of favored weapon, and still get other cool suff like animal companion, woodland stride, and camoflage. I think fighters are sopposed to be good because they can chose from a wide range of feats becoming vary good at what ever they want.

John_Geeshu
December 21st, 2005, 14:28
Actually I think you need to go back to the drawing board. You've reinvented the wheel here. Changing around a few feat awards and adjusting skill points and weapon and armor proficiencies a new class does make. But an interesting class? No. I have been working on a campaign setting for Terry Brooks' Shannara novels for several years now and in designing the classes I found it instructional and helpful to begin by writing out all of the intro information you get in the PHB. If you start by describing the Slayer's professional and social background, his reasons for adventuring, his purpose in life, his goals, his relationship to other classes, his political and social views, etc. you will then have a better idea of what you want the class to look like. Otherwise all you have done is reinvent the wheel and call it the dwheel.

Sigurd
December 21st, 2005, 15:47
I think your first instinct to build a dragon slayer might have been more thematic. More flavour and Role Playing elements flesh out a class to make it more than a min\maxing exercise. Alternately it is good form to make a dragon slaying package based on another class like the fighter.

With all of the bloody classes and prestige classes out there I think an overlooked avenue is simply an organized progression in the existing classes. Try making your slayer with the fighter or ranger class and see where it comes up short. A school of Dragon Slayers need not be a unique class, as a matter of fact they'd be universal to the game if they could be constructed from the existing rules. Even if you still go forward with a new core class at least you will have a better idea of what it has to offer.

Sigurd

John's idea about the background and outlook text is a very good idea by the way. Never abandon flavour for crunch - there will always be crunch. Flavour is a far more fragile thing.