PDA

View Full Version : Going Rogue on the Elemental Earth Plane of Evil

LordEntrails
April 6th, 2017, 20:13
Last night my party was almost finished with PotA. They just had to defeat the last prophet. But, they wimped out and decided to take a long rest before continuing on (of course, they did not know they only had the final fight). But they had already retreated to take multiple long rests in this node so I wanted to punish/reward them for their caution.

So, while they rested around the corner from the final node, I had the prophet finish his summoning of the elemental prince. They didn't investigate when tremors struck etc, so, I had the elemental prince leave the node to go ravage and conquer the Dessarin Valley. When they finished their rest, they went to explore the node. Other than some dead cultists, and finding the node active, the place was empty. They didn't ask too many questions before they decided to go through the node...

Now, I'm totally off script. Which is fine, just means I've got stuff I got to create! Knowing my party, they are going to want to raid the elemental prince's treasure before returning through the node and finding out they are going to have to track down the prince and defeat him.

A couple of possible plot or sub-plots I think to plan for (at least an outline of);
- Raid on the prince's abode to steal some of his treasures
- Prevent elementals from journeying through the portal, which would relate to how strong/how many allies the prince has when they face him back in Dessarin Valley
- explore the elemental plane (What might be of interest?)
- Is the portal still active? Or do they have to find a means to use it to go back?
- Where's the prophet? (I'm thinking being held as a "guest" in the prince's abode) And I'm thinking he still has the artifact which the players are going to need.

So, lots of questions I've got to answer and hoping you all can give me ideas and links/references;
- Can you actually kill an elemental prince of evil? How? Perhaps with the artifact used to close the portal?
- What's the elemental earth plane like?
- - How prime material plane like? towns/civilizations? geology? how do the denizens/residents live? How chaotic or organized?
- - What all lives there besides earth elementals?
- I'm thinking their adventures on the plane should be enough to give them a level or two rather than have it a quick one session diversion.
- - So, I'm thinking the portal brought them out at some geological monument near one of the prince's abodes/chalets (not his main home/fortress etc)
- - Should their be a village or three between them and the abode? What other types of locations?
- I'm thinking when they first come through, there will be a small group of the prince's allies prepping to invade. And maybe if they leave the area, others will be headed this way too.
- Ideas for unique magic items or artifacts, for non-dwarf / non-fighter types. (they already have the Crown and OrcSplitter)
- Once they return to the Dessarin Valley, they will have to track down and fight the prince.
- - There will be destroyed town, refugees, maybe some elementals ravaging they will have to beat back here or there. Ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Nylanfs
April 6th, 2017, 22:18
The best place to keep items that can kill you is in your treasure hoard under lock and key, but then you leave home to ramage on another plane ...

LordEntrails
April 7th, 2017, 03:53
Anyone have any opinion on if Ogremoch would want to destroy the Stone Bridge? Would he resent the dwarven construct?

Redemption77
April 8th, 2017, 16:55
Honestly I think the bridge is gone and by the time the group gets back to the valley they are going to probably find most of the valley is in utter disarray. I would assume Waterdeep will bring their various forces to bear to hold back the Elemental Lord. I also think this is a possible opportunity for you to have your group meet Faeruns other big heroes or heroes of your creation, as many of these heroes will be involved in stopping the Elemental Lord. I think then they could come back with the artifact and redeem themselves in the valleys eyes by putting a stop to the elemental lord and perhaps earning a place among the pantheon of legendary heroes

LordEntrails
April 8th, 2017, 18:55
Thanks Redemption. I kind of had been playing with some of this. Thinking that in general that Waterdeep, Neverwinter, etc would become aware, but not that they would have had time or desire to react yet. The idea of bringing in other adventurers/heroes though is intriguing. That would allow me to make the climatic battle bigger, while still focusing on the PCs (i.e. the armies are fighting the elementals while the PCs go for the Prince).

Does SCAG have a list of current NPCs in the region I could draw from? They are pretty active with the Harpers, so that's something I'll work with. (They actually have sending stones with the Harper agent in Yartar/Triboar.)

Since the party's goal is to effectively retire their heroes by founding a kingdom (rebuilding one of the dwarven holds) here, that might work really well.

Redemption77
April 8th, 2017, 21:51
I know they mention some in the SCAG but I cant tell you exactly who or how many off hand Im not currently with my book.

The idea of them having to retrieve some item which is the only thing that can finish the elemental lord off could lead to huge story. Let him tear up Faerun a bit and make the situation dire. You can have the item not so much just stop him once its used against him but more of the final piece of the puzzle to keep him finished off. That way you can get a big battle out of it and then the item makes sure it ends. In the end this could be the thing that gets them a parcel of land or titles or lord knows what.

LordEntrails
April 9th, 2017, 00:50
I want them to have several session on the plane of elemental earth. I'm also thinking of having them interact with Entemoch, Ogremoch's brother. Who has finally decided with his brother now rampaging on the prime material and reveling in evil that Entemoch can not longer standby while his brother causes such evil. And therefore he decides his brother's evil must be brought to an end and the players are the means to the end.