PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tracker - how to rollback player damage to wrong NPC

CraneBane
April 6th, 2017, 01:50
I am have a problem that tends to repeat itself from session to session. Some of my players are not - shall we say, well-versed in the proper use of Fantasy Grounds and thus it often happens that they apply a damage to the wrong NPC in the combat tracker. In itself this is not a huge problem for me as long as the damage doesn't kill the NPC. I simply CTRL-drag the damage roll back unto the NPC in question to revert the wound status. The problem is when the wrong NPC is killed.

For instance:

An orc has 27 max hit points and currently 21 wounds. A player makes a mistake and applies a damage roll of 10 to the orc. Realizing his mistake he informs the DM (me). I now need to undo this damage roll, but all I now see is that the orc has 27 wounds (equal to its max hit points). If I now CTRL-drag the 10 point damage roll back unto the orc, it will end up with 17 wounds (27-10) when it should have 21 wounds.

I realize that I can use the [DAMAGE EXCEEDS HIT POINTS BY X], take the damage roll and deduct X from it, and then deducts that number from the wounds. But this gets really messy and I end up wishing I was using good old pen and paper for tracking my monsters hit points.

I really wish there was an option for NPCs to go into negative wounds. Then it would be possible to revert wounds from a creatue with [Status: Dying] simply by using the easy CTRL-dragging solution.

Maybe I am missing something? If that's the case, then please enlighten me, good sirs!

Nylanfs
April 6th, 2017, 02:56
Drag the value from the chat back on to the NPC's HP I believe. I could be wrong though.

Beldak
April 6th, 2017, 03:04
I would love to see an "Undo/Oops" option for DMs that allow you to undo the last action(s) going back a few...

LordEntrails
April 6th, 2017, 03:32
Dracius made such a suggestion today, vote for it here; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=110631

Beldak
April 6th, 2017, 03:55
Dracius made such a suggestion today, vote for it here; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=110631

Upvoted! ��

Andraax
April 6th, 2017, 04:11
If I now CTRL-drag the 10 point damage roll back unto the orc, it will end up with 17 wounds (27-10) when it should have 21 wounds.

That's OK. Penalty for screwing up. And then make sure this NPC attacks the player who keeps making that mistake. They'll learn quickly.

:-)

JohnD
April 6th, 2017, 04:56
I'm with Andraax on this one.

CraneBane
April 6th, 2017, 10:16

Yes, I was actually aware of this and have already upvoted this excelllent suggestion for an undo option. AoE attacks are especially bothersome when damage is accidently applied to wrong NPCs. Even more so if the damage ends up killing the NPCs in question due to the reasons specified in my OP.

CraneBane
April 6th, 2017, 10:21
That's OK. Penalty for screwing up. And then make sure this NPC attacks the player who keeps making that mistake. They'll learn quickly.

:-)

That's not really the way I play the game. But you know what, for the sake of simplicity and the flow of combat, I think I'm gonna do just that till we get an Undo option :-)

Nickademus
April 6th, 2017, 11:07
You can hold Ctrl and drag a damage or heal action from the chat window onto a token to cause the inverse: damage is applied as healing and healing is applied as untyped damage. Unfortunately, the damage application is affected by damage reduction, resistance, etc. But in most situations it can fully undo the problem, and it is something that any player can do as well (so they can fix their own screw ups).

Also as a side note, if a player forgets to target a creature when rolling an attack, damage or heal, the action in the chat window can be drug (without Ctrl) to a token to apply it to a creature without it being rerolled. Furthermore, if a number is placed in the modifier box then it will be applied to the roll as it is being applied. So for instance, if a player forgot to add a +2 to an attack roll, the player can put 2 in the modifier box and drag the attack roll from the chat window onto the target again and it will recalculate the attack with the +2 added in.

CraneBane
April 6th, 2017, 12:07
You can hold Ctrl and drag a damage or heal action from the chat window onto a token to cause the inverse: damage is applied as healing and healing is applied as untyped damage. Unfortunately, the damage application is affected by damage reduction, resistance, etc. But in most situations it can fully undo the problem, and it is something that any player can do as well (so they can fix their own screw ups).

Thanks for replying Nickademus. As stated in my OP I am aware of the option for players and DM alike to hold CTRL+drag damage number to revert. But like I said, the problem is when damage is applied to the wrong NPC whereby the NPC is killed (received wounds in excess of the creatures maximum hit points). Please refer to the example of the orc in my OP to see what I am talking about.

Nickademus
April 6th, 2017, 16:28
An orc has 27 max hit points and currently 21 wounds. A player makes a mistake and applies a damage roll of 10 to the orc. Realizing his mistake he informs the DM (me). I now need to undo this damage roll, but all I now see is that the orc has 27 wounds (equal to its max hit points). If I now CTRL-drag the 10 point damage roll back unto the orc, it will end up with 17 wounds (27-10) when it should have 21 wounds.

I realize that I can use the [DAMAGE EXCEEDS HIT POINTS BY X], take the damage roll and deduct X from it, and then deducts that number from the wounds. But this gets really messy and I end up wishing I was using good old pen and paper for tracking my monsters hit points.
I'm sorry, I thought I explained all this in my post. I was perhaps too general.

Look at the [DAMAGE EXCEEDS HIT POINTS BY X]. Put the negative of 'X' in the modifier box (-4 in your example). Ctrl+drag the damage to heal back onto the orc. It will heal back to what it was.

Gwydion
April 6th, 2017, 18:10
I'm sorry, I thought I explained all this in my post. I was perhaps too general.

Look at the [DAMAGE EXCEEDS HIT POINTS BY X]. Put the negative of 'X' in the modifier box (-4 in your example). Ctrl+drag the damage to heal back onto the orc. It will heal back to what it was.

I don't know why I wasn't following initially what you were saying, but now this makes complete sense! I never use the modifier box but will definitely test this out the next time I DM (which would be tonight)! Thanks, Nickademus!

CraneBane
April 6th, 2017, 19:22

Using the modifier stack in this manner is a brilliant solution Nickademus! Thanks for sharing.

Nickademus
April 6th, 2017, 20:06
Glad to help.

Dracius
April 7th, 2017, 01:07
You know... God damn it... I knew both those things individually (ctrl to swap positive/negative and modifier to adjust rolls) but I never thought of just combining the two. This certainly will make it much faster to fix things after the mage "accidently" rolls damage 2-3 times for the same spell on a group of enemies/allies.

Learn something new every day.