PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding AL

JHale1966
April 5th, 2017, 23:38
I just need to make sure that I have this straight in my head since I'm new to this version... :)

Every year WotC puts out a new Hardback 'scenario base' (Storm King's Thunder, etc) and then also put out AL Scenarios based on the current theme? So you can have a lot of one-shots running 2-4 hours per adventure that are all based off the 'book of the year'?

Reason I'm asking is I've picked up some more materials for 5E for FG and would REALLY like to do Out of the Abyss once I get more comfortable with the system and would like to know what AL adventures go along with it.

The main 'set' I ran in the 80's was the Giants/Drow/Demonweb and this seems to be the closest thing to it.

Thanks!

Talyn
April 6th, 2017, 00:33
I've only played PFS locally, not DDAL yet but my understanding is they align their "seasons" to match the newest hardcover campaign. So this current season is related to Storm King's Thunder. Kinda wish PFS would do something similar, or at least have some cohesive storyline over a season. They claim to but I've never seen it yet.

JHale1966
April 6th, 2017, 00:44
I've been doing PFS since March 2016 and just wanting to keep things straight. I REALLY want to be able to play things along the same lines I did back then. I have the above series and the 5E conversion documents. Looks feasible to do.

Talyn
April 6th, 2017, 00:47
Honestly, I'd check out the DDAL G+ Group (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/112559314186117492998) it's very active and Robert makes posts, if not daily, very frequently and the community is good with questions, etc.

I don't see too many DDAL (or PFS for that matter) posts here on the forums. I know the PFS gang seems to be a tight clique of friends or whatever, so they're static groups, not something we can get into.

tiawaz
April 6th, 2017, 23:16
I just need to make sure that I have this straight in my head since I'm new to this version... :)

Every year WotC puts out a new Hardback 'scenario base' (Storm King's Thunder, etc) and then also put out AL Scenarios based on the current theme? So you can have a lot of one-shots running 2-4 hours per adventure that are all based off the 'book of the year'?

Thematically yes, but theres no 'crossover' between the storys.

Reason I'm asking is I've picked up some more materials for 5E for FG and would REALLY like to do Out of the Abyss once I get more comfortable with the system and would like to know what AL adventures go along with it.

The main 'set' I ran in the 80's was the Giants/Drow/Demonweb and this seems to be the closest thing to it.

Thanks!

Season 3 of Adventurers League is the one that went along with the Out of the Abyss/Rage of Demons Campaign
DDEN3 Out of the Abyss is the 'Introductory' Part (lvl1-4) of the DDHC OotA Campaign (Lvl1-15)

There are 16 Adventures in Season3, of different Tiers (T1: lvl1-4, T2: lvl5-10, T3: lvl 11-16) with runtimes of 2h, 4h, or 8h
see Adventurers League Content Catalog on DMsGuild (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/208140/Adventurers-League-Content-Catalog?src=newest_community&filters=45470_0_0_0_0_0_0_0)

In my experience (from other seasons, so ymmv), unless you really streamline the campaign you wont really have a chance to run them, as the campaign by itself is designed to take the players through the level range, so playing them would mean players outlevel the campaign