PDA

View Full Version : How to set different adjustments per target for an AOE

Nilram the Grey
April 4th, 2017, 14:10
I can't figure out how to do this cleanly. For example, let's say a wizard casts burning hands at three targets and one has cover for a +2 on his saves. I have the wizard target the two unadjusted and roll their saves. Then I have the wizard untarget them and target the one with the bonus for the save. The wizard clicks +2 and rolls that save. Then I have him select the whole group again and roll damage. Is there a better way?

FYI, this method works correctly from what I can tell with the testing, but I'm not sure how.

Gwydion
April 4th, 2017, 14:45
I can't figure out how to do this cleanly. For example, let's say a wizard casts burning hands at three targets and one has cover for a +2 on his saves. I have the wizard target the two unadjusted and roll their saves. Then I have the wizard untarget them and target the one with the bonus for the save. The wizard clicks +2 and rolls that save. Then I have him select the whole group again and roll damage. Is there a better way?

FYI, this method works correctly from what I can tell with the testing, but I'm not sure how.

Its working for you as before you roll damage, you have already rolled the saves separately and fantasy grounds knows who made the save and who didn't (even though the rolls were separate).

For attack spells you could build a cover effect by typing "COVER" I believe. Then when an attack roll is made against the character, their AC will be 2 pts higher due to the COVER effect. Since Burning Hands is a save (and not an attack roll), I don't think cover would apply. In your specific case of burning hands, you can't do the cover coding like I'm suggesting as it will only increase the charater's AC and won't add to their Save roll. If you use the COVER you just need to remove the effect if someone attacks the character who is not firing into cover.

Hope that all makes sense!

Nickademus
April 4th, 2017, 15:17
Make an effect with a name of 'SAVE: 2 dexterity' and an Expend? of On Next Roll. Apply it to the target with cover prior to rolling the save. Only that target will get the cover bonus and it will go away after the spell is cast.

Zacchaeus
April 4th, 2017, 16:42
Or have the player who has cover click the modifier for Cover (the +/- icon top right). Then you can target all of the players and force the saves. The player in cover will get the Dex bonus automatically and you can then move on to roll damage.

Nilram the Grey
April 5th, 2017, 02:46
Zacchaeus,

That does not seem to work. At least I can't apply modifiers to a single target. It seems to apply to everyone when it is clicked. Note: I'm trying to add a modifier to a creature being targeted by a player with other creatures not getting said modifier. I'm the GM.

damned
April 5th, 2017, 03:16
Or have the player who has cover click the modifier for Cover (the +/- icon top right). Then you can target all of the players and force the saves. The player in cover will get the Dex bonus automatically and you can then move on to roll damage.

Zacchaeus,

That does not seem to work. At least I can't apply modifiers to a single target. It seems to apply to everyone when it is clicked. Note: I'm trying to add a modifier to a creature being targeted by a player with other creatures not getting said modifier. I'm the GM.

Modifiers are used by the person doing the rolls. If the player is making the rolls they will use the Modifers. If you are trying to do it yourself for the players rolls then you would use Effects.

Nilram the Grey
April 5th, 2017, 05:30
Damned,

That is why I was wondering why modifiers was ever suggested. If only one of N targeted creatures would get a modified roll then modifiers will not work ever from what I can tell. I'm playing around with making custom effects now.

damned
April 5th, 2017, 06:04
Damned,

That is why I was wondering why modifiers was ever suggested. If only one of N targeted creatures would get a modified roll then modifiers will not work ever from what I can tell. I'm playing around with making custom effects now.

Probably because - even though they are manual - Modifiers are much easier when you first get started or until you are ready to dive into Effects. Effects are awesome but they are not faster until you get the hang of them and until your players learn to manage their effects too.
Its probably not the best solution when you are using group targeted rolls as you point out.

Nilram the Grey
April 5th, 2017, 06:09
Damned,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm pretty comfortable with effects now. My players not as much. There is definitely a learning curve, but I think they are starting to get over the hump now. We struggle most with the lack of automation for long duration effects.

damned
April 5th, 2017, 06:22
Damned,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm pretty comfortable with effects now. My players not as much. There is definitely a learning curve, but I think they are starting to get over the hump now. We struggle most with the lack of automation for long duration effects.

Its not that there is no automation of long duration as such, its more that outside of combat there is no concept of duration. Its like in a book at the bottom of page 16 the prince and princess get married and at the top of page 17 the queen is cradling her newborn babe a year later. Stories and time are very... fluid...

Zacchaeus
April 5th, 2017, 10:40
Sorry I misread what you were wanting to do. Indeed a modifier in this case won't work.

Nylanfs
April 5th, 2017, 13:48
Stories and time are very... fluid...

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff. (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1000252/quotes?item=qt0387974)

Yep. :)

Nilram the Grey
April 5th, 2017, 14:55
It should be easy enough to advance time via the combat tracker and have it reflect on long duration spells and on the calendar. All you need is a menu item that lets you advance time by minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, and years with a sub-menu of 1,2,5,10,20,50 units for each. This handles all long duration spell exploration, resting, and advancing the timeline along. If weeks and months are too much of a headache because of all the calendar types, then drop them and just provide minutes, hours, days, and years. Those units are pretty universal and given plenty of control.

damned
April 5th, 2017, 15:11
You can add entries to the wishlist or vote for ones already there.
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/
if you think that this is something needed feel free to add to the wishlist.

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2017, 21:02
I thought there were already some larger adjustment options available by right clicking on the round counter in he combat tracker.

Also, I believe a short rest will advance the round counter as well, though I'm not as sure about that.

Regards,
JPG

Gwydion
April 5th, 2017, 21:22
I thought there were already some larger adjustment options available by right clicking on the round counter in he combat tracker.

Also, I believe a short rest will advance the round counter as well, though I'm not as sure about that.

Regards,
JPG

Holy moly! You are right about right-clicking on the round counter in the ct. You can advance in 5, 10, 15 and 20 round increments. I never knew that. That might come in very handy. In terms of a short rest, it resets the round counter to zero.