PDA

View Full Version : Updater failing to extract a file

Morfedel
April 3rd, 2017, 23:59
With this last update, the updater is failing to extract the file. In particular, this is the error I'm getting:

SaveToVault
Unable to extract file (modules/SCAGCG.mod) for product (WOTC5ESCAG)

and of course, as such, the uipdater then ends with a note to please contact....

EDIT: oh joy, and now I get an error trying to renaming traps that I was taking out of Out of the Abyss and repurposing them for my custom adventure... giving me errors and not renaming them. Though it is letting me edit the details.

Trenloe
April 4th, 2017, 00:12
Try this: Open FG, click the folder icon in the top right of the startup screen, open "vault" in the file explorer that appears and find the WOTC5ESCAG.dat file. Delete this file and try running update again.

Morfedel
April 4th, 2017, 00:27
Ok, trying it now. Its updating extensions/Decal_SCAG.ext....

and it's taking a very long time. Ok, I'll reply again once this is done on whether it works or not.

Try this: Open FG, click the folder icon in the top right of the startup screen, open "vault" in the file explorer that appears and find the WOTC5ESCAG.dat file. Delete this file and try running update again.

Morfedel
April 4th, 2017, 00:30
This update is taking much longer than I'm normally used to. My players, when the updated, it happened in seconds.

Trenloe
April 4th, 2017, 00:45
My players, when the updated, it happened in seconds.
I'm guessing your players don't have hundreds of MBs of material! SCAG itself is 180MB.

Morfedel
April 5th, 2017, 03:21
late in responding, but that did fix it. Still, wow, over an hour patching, wth?

LordEntrails
April 5th, 2017, 03:47
If it took an hour, it's most likely due to conflict and dropped packets on your wireless connection. Of course, it could be anything from the FG server to your computer, but your wireless connection is the most likely culprit.

Morfedel
April 5th, 2017, 04:57
I have been lagging a lot lately on my mmo I play too; I wonder what the culprit might be

If it took an hour, it's most likely due to conflict and dropped packets on your wireless connection. Of course, it could be anything from the FG server to your computer, but your wireless connection is the most likely culprit.

LordEntrails
April 5th, 2017, 05:39
Do you have a smart phone? Download a wifi analyzer app. This will tell you how much crossover you have on the various channels available to your wifi router. Once you identify the channel with the least amount of traffic/usage, go into your router settings and change the channel to that one. Reboot and see if that helps.

damned
April 5th, 2017, 06:07
Yeah I think Lord Entrails is pointing you in the right direction - look at your wifi interference and strength - you may need to move closer to your wifi or even run a LAN cable.

Morfedel
April 5th, 2017, 14:01
don't think its my wifi. I think its my actual internet connection. I got suspicious and ran a speed test, and my internet speed is horribly down. This happened once before, had to have my ISP reset my router. I'll call them tonight.

damned
April 5th, 2017, 14:08
Quick test - find your router IP address (its your gateway address)

open 2 cmd prompt windows and run

ping 8.8.8.8 -n 200

in the first and

ping <router ip address> -n 200

in the second.

Do you see timeouts?
Are you seeing timeouts in both at the same time or just on one or the other?
Which one is having timeouts?

LordEntrails
April 5th, 2017, 19:21
It might be lots of things. I' have gone through this myself and I recommend you don't just leave it up to your ISP. Tier 1 technical support (the people who will answer your call tonight) really truly don't know squat. Regardless of how nice and helpful they try to be, they know very little, and even more so, are empowered with almost no functional capabilities.

Here's my advice:
1) perform the ping test as described above
2) check and configure your wifi channel like I suggested above.
3) perform the ping test again and compare
4) check your ISP's website, they might have a remote modem reset tool (Cox is my ISP and they do).
5) power cycle your router.

Steps 4 & 5 will help, but only short term. Both will probably have your router pick another channel, but that will only last until your neighbor resets their router, then you are back to where you are now. That's why I suggest step 2, that will always prevent channel contention.

Finally, if all three steps don't work, then call your ISP. Try to sound knowledgeable and ask them if there if they can open a Tier 2 ticket for you.

Andraax
April 5th, 2017, 19:29
This happened once before, had to have my ISP reset my router. I'll call them tonight.

Turn it off and back on. If it doesn't have a power switch, unplug it and plug it back in.

LordEntrails
April 5th, 2017, 19:35
Turn it off and back on. If it doesn't have a power switch, unplug it and plug it back in.
Depending upon your modem and the s/w loaded on it by your ISP, a remote reset can be slightly different than cycling the power, that's why I have both step 4 & 5 above (though in most cases, this will be the same).

Nylanfs
April 5th, 2017, 20:11
Don't forget the code word! (https://xkcd.com/806/)

LordEntrails
April 5th, 2017, 21:31
Don't forget the code word! (https://xkcd.com/806/)
I think of that comic every time I have to call! (Which I actually have to do again, but have been putting off!)