PDA

View Full Version : FG with hybrid games

Amaril
December 19th, 2005, 22:24
I'm curious if anyone has used Fantasy Grounds in a hybrid game where one player is online and the rest are present in the room. If so, what have been your experiences with this type of gaming environment? Do you encounter issues with combat scenarios or with voice communication? Are there any other issues to consider? Is it more work to use FG than it would be worth for one player?

On a seperate but somewhat related note, how do the rule sets affect game play, if at all? For example, if I'm using content from the Book of Vile Darkness in my Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil adventure, is the functionality of FG dependent on entering in data for respective prestige classes?

LordTomar
December 19th, 2005, 23:14
on your second issue...
From what I have seen you do not need to have every race/class or spell/skill/feat added to your ruleset to be able to use these because everything is done manualy, so your not having the computer roll the die for you.

Bumamgar
December 20th, 2005, 18:17
My game has four players out on the wild internet and one in the room next to me (for a total of five players and myself, the DM)

We use Ventrilo for voice chat, and there really aren't any problems. In fact, my wife and I use Fantasy Grounds for our solo campaigns, where we don't actually have anyone joining from the internet.

Fantasy Grounds is a great virtual tabletop. We have two kids, including a toddler who loves to eat dice, so using FG as our battle grid and dice roller makes things significantly safer/easier :) No knocked over miniatures, no eaten dice...

You can use it at the drop of a hat for a session if you like, simply using a blank image with a grid overlayed and the default 'letter' tokens; or you can spend a little time preparing .jpg map images and monster tokens. You really can get away with spending as little or as much prep time as you like. When I've got free time, I'll enter NPC stat blocks etc, but if I don't have time to do all that, we can still play exactly the same, I just have to refer to paper NPC stat blocks instead of on-screen stats :)

All in all, we've found Fantasy Grounds to be a great addition to our game. We're able to play D&D a lot more often, and have our sessions be a lot more productive, than before we started to use it.