PDA

View Full Version : failure to connect

Blackwolf
April 2nd, 2017, 02:23
Had a router hiccup while running my third game. After none of the players could connect to my game. Reset Router PC and checked for any patches, also if the external IP had changed, it had not. Any Ideas. Internet provider is Cox. :confused:

Andraax
April 2nd, 2017, 02:25
Did your internal address change? Did the router "forget" your port forward?

Blackwolf
April 2nd, 2017, 02:35
Don't know about the internal as I don't recall what it was before. Not sure how a router hiccup would change my internal IP? or drop the port forward but that's why I am hear asking. So where do I go to find this out.

Andraax
April 2nd, 2017, 03:15
Don't know about the internal as I don't recall what it was before. Not sure how a router hiccup would change my internal IP? or drop the port forward but that's why I am hear asking. So where do I go to find this out.

It would cause your computer to make a new DHCP request to the router, and while many routers will hand back the same address over and over, some do not. FG will report your IP address on the "Load Campaign" screen as "Internal Address". You need to check that your router is forwarding port 1802 to that address. How to do that varies from router model to router model.

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2017, 03:18
Router hiccup probably means that the internal IP assigned to your computer has changed. So, you will need to log into your modem (192.168.0.1) and check the port forwarding (virtual server setup) to make sure your port forwarding points to the current internal IP of you FG host (probably something like 192.168.0.x).

You can check your current internal IP either using FG or a DOS command/prompt window typing 'ipconfig'.

Let us know what doesn't make sense and we can give you more exact details.

damned
April 2nd, 2017, 04:52
Did you create a manual port forward or did it just work (using UPnP)?
If you manually created the rule - delete it, reboot router and create a new rule.
If it just worked (eg using UPnP) the first time, close FG, reboot router and then relaunch FG and restest.

skj310
April 2nd, 2017, 10:11
One other thought is related to the type of router and how configuration is saved. What i mean is thatis some routers can store the configuration while the router remains up and running, but that is not to say the configuration was written to it's internal memory, and therefore after restarting, the latest config changes might be lost. This can happen with some of the more expense enterprise-like routers (e.g. i dealt with this using some CISCO enterprise routers, and i would need to specifically write my config changes to memory ... the reason for this is so that you don't accidentally write over a working/good configuration until you ARE CERTAIN that the new changes are safe).

So it's possible that your port forwarding rule was lost.

Most likely is what the guys above have indicated, internal address being changed via DHCP (which can happen for sure). On my router i make sure to setup static DHCP, which means that whenever the router sees the MAC address for the wifi NIC on my laptop, desktop, phones, whatever; then it will automatically assign an address i've chosen. Static DHCP simply means assignin IP addresses to devices based on their MAC addresses. Again this is something I don't think you would need to worry about ... I only mention it because if you want to avoid having to change a port forwarding rule that is necessary because your local computer's IP address (the computer you use to host your FG session) has changed, then check and see if your router supports static DHCP (i.e. user manual time).

Otherwise you'll need to do exactly as @damned has indicated in the post above.

Blackwolf
April 2nd, 2017, 19:36
Um all of the above I can plug it in and turn it on. its a net gear AC1900c6300bd router wireless router from cox cable. Any thing else was over my head, you want me to tell you about building a Road and soil types ok I'm your guy.

Trenloe
April 2nd, 2017, 21:56
Um all of the above I can plug it in and turn it on. its a net gear AC1900c6300bd router wireless router from cox cable.
Not the exact same model number, but this might help: https://portforward.com/netgear/ac1750-c6300/

Don't do "1. Setup a static ip address..." at first. Just use the computer's current IP address until you know you get it working.

LordEntrails
April 3rd, 2017, 05:06
Um all of the above I can plug it in and turn it on. its a net gear AC1900c6300bd router wireless router from cox cable. Any thing else was over my head, you want me to tell you about building a Road and soil types ok I'm your guy.
I used to have that router, or one very similar, from Cox until a couple of months ago. If you are still having issues, send me a PM and we can walk through it together.