PDA

View Full Version : Blue Yeti Pro USB Mic

Elfuthark
April 1st, 2017, 23:04
I'm looking to buy myself a good Mic for DMing in Fantasy Grounds, I will be using Discord with my groups as the audio software. I LOVE the audio quality the Yeti Pro produces but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using it? I'd like to be able to hear my own voice with Zero Latency through my headphones while narrating to the group but I don't know if this is possible? I do know this Mic is much better than what's needed because Discord compresses audio but I have other uses for it too.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Andraax
April 1st, 2017, 23:08
Install VoiceMeeter and you can feed your mic directly back into your headset, with it's own volume control.

lostsanityreturned
April 2nd, 2017, 01:11
The Yeti Pro has the ability to give you zero latency mic monitoring.

HOWEVER if you are to go with a USB mic I would personally Recommend the Audio Technical AT2020+USB, it has better monitoring and mixing controls, is significantly smaller and lighter as well as having subjectively better quality recording abilities (although both are good). I would also get a windgard popshield or similar knockoff as they are so much nicer than the large circular pop filters.

Another reason to get the Audiotechnica, shock mount availability and standard microphone mounting options.

Nalfien
April 2nd, 2017, 17:38
I use the USB Blue Yeti with Discord and it sounds great. I highly recommend it. On the back is a dial you can set the patterns with. I have mine set to were it's just directed for one person talking in front of it. I have discovered that if I tweak the gain dial on the back I can have it sit over to the left of my monitor and my players can't tell the difference from it being directly in front of me.

Since you are using Discord, I would also recommend looking into a music bot and a sound board bot controlled within Fantasy Grounds with the DOE sound extension. This can be accomplished easily with the Mimic program I've uploaded to the forums in This Thread. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37439-Discord-Soundboards-with-DOE-Sound-Extension)

Honken
April 3rd, 2017, 13:39
A friend of mine have a HyperX Cloud 2 headset, and that mic on the headset is really good. They do not gm, but I have him as a player, and one other guy in my gaming group bought the headset too. They are both very happy with it.

/H

Szabtom
April 3rd, 2017, 17:07
Based on personal experience, I can only recommend a professional microphone if you are going to use it in a quiet room, without any background noises. I bought one myself and had to put it away due to kids/family and other noises picked up from the background. The quality of the sound was perfect but gaming was impossible.
I had to buy a 4 dollar collar clip microphone to get around the problem. I have no problems since, the mic sits close to my mouth and is much less sensitive.
In my opinion, professional microphones are overhyped and not needed for gaming. Buy one if you run streams or any business otherwise a decent built-in or presentation mic will work perfectly (and for 1/20 of the price).