PDA

View Full Version : The Game Calendar

Goblin-King
December 19th, 2005, 13:44
We've implemented a dedicated Game Calendar that let's you keep track of campaigns, sessions, offline messages and GM announcements. It's available at this link (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/). Please note that you need to be registered and logged in to take advantage of the calendar.

We consider the service to still be in a beta phase, which means we may make modifications or need to run maintenance on it from time to time in the coming weeks. We also welcome any suggestions and feedback.

The calendar, we hope, should supercede much of what is currently taking place on this board. We will leave the board up for now, at least until we have all the kinks worked out of the new system and everyone has had ample time to move their campaigns into the Calendar. Still, this board might be merged, moved or removed at a later time.

Snikle
December 19th, 2005, 16:58
OK, I set my campaign up on there. Will see how it works out.

gurney9999
December 19th, 2005, 21:06
I see that separate discussions are tied to the campaigns. Can these (or portions of these) discussions be made public?

In other words, can we show others what is going on in the campaign, post session logs, etc. to generate future interest while keeping other threads private to only the campaign members?

Goblin-King
December 21st, 2005, 08:33
A quick update on what's been changed:
Added time zone information to the campaign pages. It will now display the time zone used by the GM, as well as informing the user viewing the page of his/her selected time zone, and the fact that all times are adjusted for that.
Fixed the times displayed on the community page. They weren't adjusting for time zones.
Adjusted the session time entry logic so that it accepts times in "pm" form and defaults to pm if you just type a single number between 1-11 (which isn't a formal time representation, this is for convenience). The following should now be all valid (and the same time) "6", "6pm", "18", "18:00". You can also use "6:30pm" to represent "18:30", if you wish.
Private sessions listed (due to the fact that you are a player or GM in them) will have a small lock icon to indicate the fact.
You can invite players to your campaigns (including private) by going to the user's profile page on the boards and clicking on a name of a campaign created by you listed there. This will result in the targeted user seeing an invitation notice on the community main page, and seeing the campaign on the calendar page if it is private. We're looking into other options for performing the invite.

joshuha
December 21st, 2005, 11:46
Can you add the option for a player to cancel a request for signup? I accidentally registered for campaign not realizing the timezone difference and still am in pending status and would like to cancel my request.

Alkaven
December 22nd, 2005, 02:42
This looks like a rather interesting feature. It's been a long while since I've been around these messageboards with my workload increase since my college graduation. Hopefully will have it under control within the next few weeks.

I notice the game calendar lists campaigns, but not adventures. I'm wondering if the term 'campaign' is used interchangeably with adventure or not. For example, I run multiple adventures, but they aren't completely tailored together as one campaign. While the nature of the adventures are in the same world (Thus making them somewhat apart of the same campaign), they are independant form eachother, allowing the accomodation of new players and the departure of current players with a bit more ease.

So what I'm getting at is, can I run one game and call it "Shieldforthcoming" and stick multiple adventures under it, such as: "The Broken Mountains" and "Mistwell Melodies: The Tomgale Talisman", allowing me to post all my story revisions (when I get them done someday) ? If not, can I simply just make multiple "campaigns" (aka adventures), and simply close them when they end?

joshuha
December 30th, 2005, 21:15
The calendar, we hope, should supercede much of what is currently taking place on this board. We will leave the board up for now, at least until we have all the kinks worked out of the new system and everyone has had ample time to move their campaigns into the Calendar. Still, this board might be merged, moved or removed at a later time.

I think you should leave the board up long term. It would help serve as a place to garner ideas for campaigns and guage interest before an actual campaign is posted.

kalmarjan
December 31st, 2005, 14:45
Uhhhh... Thank you for making it so that PM is displayed. Now can you please fix it so that I can place a time in the AM? I am typing 09, 9, 9am, and 9AM. It is being displayed as 9 PM.

I always start at this time, (in the AM) so it could be confusing to my players.

Thanks,

Sandeman

Goblin-King
January 2nd, 2006, 09:24
Uhhhh... Thank you for making it so that PM is displayed. Now can you please fix it so that I can place a time in the AM? I am typing 09, 9, 9am, and 9AM. It is being displayed as 9 PM.

Hmm... I'll have a look, but in the mean time, try "9:00".

pentay
January 8th, 2006, 04:38
how about putting a link for the calender on the home page, right next to the community link?

Stuart
January 14th, 2006, 08:38
I'm clearly stupid ... I have tried entering scheduled times in the suggest new game time box and it will not register.
I enter the time, press the brown arrow - zip. Data is wiped but the time/date does not appear in the Scheduled Play Time box.
I enter the time, don't press the brown arrow - zip
I have checked the format of the day/date/time it should work ?

Stuart

Ablefish
January 15th, 2006, 10:00
When you say you checked the format, what format did you use? Because I thought there was a problem myself, but then I plugged in all numbers and it seemed to work. It's not all that friendly at the moment, in terms of feedback if you enter something it doesn't understand.

To get Sunday, Jan 15th, 8pm you have to plug in 15/1/8

don't know how you get am though... :)

Stuart
January 15th, 2006, 18:55
Very odd !
Tried typing 15 (for day) 1 (for month) and variously 2000, 20:00, 8:00 8:00 PM and 8 (for time) .... nothing works !

Stuart

linkmaxwell
January 25th, 2006, 17:59
Very odd !
Tried typing 15 (for day) 1 (for month) and variously 2000, 20:00, 8:00 8:00 PM and 8 (for time) .... nothing works !

Stuart

Try typing in 15 (day), 01 (month), and 2000. It seemed to work for me.

Schiz
February 2nd, 2006, 13:58
maybe an option to make the GameMasters name clickable... so it links to an PM to him for further questions.
maybe as an option in the 'Create new campaign' form
"Make my name available as PM link to [listbox=everybody, players, nobody]"

or maybe the option to connect a forum thread to the game?

anyways. i really like the system. very nicely done. :)

Stuart
February 2nd, 2006, 17:55
Schiz ! Greetings !:)
Link ... it worked ... boy do I feel stupid ! Many thanks !:o

Lord Robert of Worcester
February 19th, 2006, 03:54
The calendar dates need 2 stay on the day of the event.
Im on more than one group but I keep forgetting which sever to log on to, and which character.

DarkStar
February 19th, 2006, 09:00
btw. I was too lazy to post it before ;), but I will now - times in Game Caledar are shown wrong, I have CET set for my account, but times in the calendar seem to look like GMT-1 (like, it's 2pm my time and I see 12am there).

acmer
February 19th, 2006, 20:17
Similar problem. EET here and european games start around 4AM. Europeans have no life ?

DarkStar
February 20th, 2006, 17:32
Similar problem. EET here and european games start around 4AM. Europeans have no life ?
Nah, we just set up a game at 8pm, but can't sleep all night the day before, thinking about the upcoming session, so everyone jumps on the computer at 4am and it just sort of starts itself...:D

Kipros
March 12th, 2006, 07:27
Hey all,

I'm new here, im a good friend of DarkStar's all the way from Australia!

I'd really like to play this game with you guys, but have never played a paper and pen before.

So it would be really good if someone could let me know were i could find the server uptimes (calander).

Thanks!

Xuub
March 16th, 2006, 14:19
I think the Calendar is a great feature, however I find it difficult to see WHEN a game is scheduled.

On the front page of the Calendar there are columns for

Campaign / Gamemaster / Accepting players / # of players

I think there should also be a column for "Ususal Game time" or "Next Scheduled Game". This way, when I'm looking for a game, I don't have to open each one and read everything trying to find where (or if) each person has decided to note when the game takes palce.

For instance today is Thursday. If I want to see if there are any games going on today, it is quite time consuming to figure it out.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and thanks for listening.

DarkStar
March 16th, 2006, 19:05
The Calendar needs more improvements than just that. :) I hope the devs will take care of it once 1.06 is out.

Griogre
March 16th, 2006, 21:01
Someone was talking about Pickup games on another thread. It would be nice if there was a "Calender" that really showed a calender starting at the current date plus, say, 30 days. People could select a day and enter a time, planned duration and what they were running.

acmer
March 16th, 2006, 22:05
There appears to be idle games too. Soon nobody knows which ones are real and which are dead.

Maybe categories on game world too? Looks like Eberron, Warhammer, D&D, Forgotten Realms and Custom worlds mostly. Something like a checkbox-display would be nice. You could choose to display Eberron and FR -games that are accepting players and not full. Would look much clearer.

Toadwart
March 16th, 2006, 23:16
Another possible improvement: allow DM to add players (not linked to a forum user)
My player list looks very sparse because most of my players don't visit these forums (in spite of being repeatedly asked to do so :mad: ).

DarkStar
March 17th, 2006, 12:28
My player list looks very sparse because most of my players don't visit these forums (in spite of being repeatedly asked to do so :mad: ).

Start posting game related information in here...:D

Craw
May 11th, 2006, 02:46
I have had an applicant for my game on the calendar, but I search for the user name and can't find him/her. What gives? Are unregistered users allowed to sign up? If so how do I contact them? If they are registered, how do I search the registered users?

DarkStar
May 11th, 2006, 07:59
I have had an applicant for my game on the calendar, but I search for the user name and can't find him/her. What gives? Are unregistered users allowed to sign up? If so how do I contact them? If they are registered, how do I search the registered users?

If someone applied for your game, you already have their username. It's in the calendar, in first column on your players list. :) Just copy it and send him/her a PM using that name. It's impossible that the username would be blank on your calendar page, unless we are experiencing a bug here. ;)

When you PM people, SmiteWorks also has a nifty feature, which looks up usernames while you type them and gives you suggestions (kinda like Google Suggest). Try it.

LordMoose
June 14th, 2006, 22:03
ive never played a pen and paper games before too
but i want to

what about the people useing the demo version how are we sopposed to find games?

Sigurd
June 16th, 2006, 09:12
Presumably if you wanted to organize a demo version test you could post as DM and ask if someone will connect to you. I think the message boards might be a better option for you though.

The Demo version lets you test the functionality of the game and see that everything works. The purchased version has far greater freedom of setting and saves characters etc... I find the game well worth the money, and the flexibility of using my own setting really important. I don't think you'd find many takers for any regular game with just the demo.

Most people I've met, test the demo version on two computers or with a friend who is also new to the game. I bought the game just after seeing how transparently the program presented data. If you can't think of one of your friends interested in testing, watch or post to the message boards.

Remember to include your time zone and the hours you'd be interested in finding someone to help you out.

Cirondel
July 16th, 2006, 18:10
Oops, wrong thread, delete message please.

Yenooc
October 15th, 2006, 04:57
I came to post about my confusion with The Game Calendar, but I see that what I was going to say was posted already several months ago. I don't see any reply from the devs, and the calendar seems to have the same problems: I can't tell when games are scheduled, or even if the entry is still valid.

Sooooo,

Are the improvements coming with the release of 2.0? Or has the decision been made to abandon the calendar altogether?

Morfedel
January 6th, 2007, 01:43
How do I delete an old campaign calendar entry of mine that I'm no longer running?

DarkStar
January 6th, 2007, 12:02
How do I delete an old campaign calendar entry of mine that I'm no longer running?

You can't. We have been asking for that feature since a year at least.

Morfedel
January 7th, 2007, 03:51
And they haven't replied? Can't we at least ask the admins to go in and manually remove them then?

Griogre
January 7th, 2007, 07:01
They say site improvements will happen after they release 2.0. Most have not pushed them very hard over the site improvements. ;)

Wraith
January 13th, 2007, 09:39
I think the game calendar is broken again. I tried several times to input different event times and it won't accepted any of them. Will the Devs please look into this. Thank you.

Wraith
January 23rd, 2007, 16:47
Is anyone looking into the scheduling problem? I still can't schedule games on the game calender. I really like this feature and would like to see it fixed.

Elf
January 23rd, 2007, 21:52
Hmm,
I have had no problems... but then my campaign is only a few months old.

Wraith
March 6th, 2007, 17:51
Is anyone looking into the calendar problem I still can not schedule sessions on my calendar listing and it is beginning to be irritating. If the Dev's don't have time could they at least acknowledge the problem and suggest a solution or maybe when they might get around to fixing it.

Auly
April 24th, 2007, 16:52
Is this used anymore?

Griogre
April 24th, 2007, 22:07
It is still used but the time matching/voting feature does not work. The private Forum and Info Section still work. As an alternative you can use Yahoo Groups or something similar.

Elf
April 25th, 2007, 07:58
It works for my group. I am not sure if the time matching feature is working properly however. The voting definitely works.

VenomousFiligree
May 2nd, 2007, 09:18
Is anyone looking into the calendar problem I still can not schedule sessions on my calendar listing and it is beginning to be irritating. If the Dev's don't have time could they at least acknowledge the problem and suggest a solution or maybe when they might get around to fixing it.

*pokes thread and walks off*

Goblin-King
May 2nd, 2007, 14:15
I had a look at this with Ged and it seemed to work OK, except for a bug in the session submission that didn't take daylight saving into account, which I fixed.

Make sure your time zone settings are correct in your message board profile options. What sort of problems are there with voting/session matching?

VenomousFiligree
May 2nd, 2007, 14:28
It would appear that a GM cannot "Suggest new game time" but players can.

MB

Wraith
May 2nd, 2007, 19:16
I don't know why it does it maybe something is wrong with my campaign calander? Cause everyone else seems to work just fine.

Mellock
May 8th, 2007, 00:31
Heh, this is odd. I'm the only one in my campaign appearantly that just can't see the discussion. I've tried it with IE, firefox and opera on one pc, and firefox on a different one downstairs.

Does the calendar just *hate* me?

Edit: Ah, good good... Changing the timezone to my own with automatic detection for daylight savings time does the trick. All is well again. Stand down.

Yenooc
July 3rd, 2007, 22:31
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the functioning of the calendar is improving by leaps and bounds. ;)

Having said that, it would be nice to be able to see how old a game posting is. Right now I see that some hosting games take the trouble to add "Cancelled" to their defunct posts, but I'm sure that not everyone is doing so.

Valarian
July 5th, 2007, 11:32
It'd be very useful if we could remove our own calendar entries once our campaign has concluded. It would also be useful if the owner of the calendar entry could remove / edit discussion entries on the campaign.

Lord Robert of Worcester
July 5th, 2007, 21:06
It would also be usefull if players could remove there name from games there not playing in.

Waldo Pepper
August 12th, 2007, 17:38
Is it possible for someone to do a bit of housekeeping on the list? There are multiple games that have been canceled that are still on the list.

In addition, it would be helpful if the list included a column/entry for game system and perhaps genre. The ability to sort by the columns would also be awesome.

Yenooc
August 12th, 2007, 21:08
Is it possible for someone to do a bit of housekeeping on the list? There are multiple games that have been canceled that are still on the list.

In addition, it would be helpful if the list included a column/entry for game system and perhaps genre. The ability to sort by the columns would also be awesome.

I'd like to echo those recommendations. The housekeeping is needed to remove the great deal of clutter, and the inclusion of the game identification would eliminate a lot of headaches in searching for a suitable game. The ability to sort would be icing on the cake. :D

Valarian
October 17th, 2007, 14:32
Bumping the suggestions for maintenance function on the calendar.
It'd be very useful if we could remove our own calendar entries once our campaign has concluded. It would also be useful if the owner of the calendar entry could remove / edit discussion entries on the campaign.

Holy_Rage
December 14th, 2007, 20:42
Bumping the suggestions for maintenance function on the calendar.

And yet another asking for the same, the calendar in its current state is clearly unsuitable for any "generic" research.

kaahen
December 16th, 2007, 10:29
The calendar is very nice, but I can´t see a creation date and preferred language for the games?

Pheonix-IV
January 29th, 2008, 00:56
I'd really appreciate it if the calandar wouldn't remove game times 2 hours before the game actually happens. I find it incredibly annoying as i keep forgetting which game is supposed to be occuring.

Wraith
February 24th, 2008, 15:25
I have a update...

1) I also would like the play times to stay until the game time is over. Perhaps make it have a start and stop time and the stop time makes the listing come off the calender.

2) I would also like to see a way for characters to withdraw from a campaign.

3) I would also like to see a way for DM's to delete campaigns that they are no longer playing.

4) I have figured out what I was doing wrong with my entries and I thought I would put it in the community so that others can benefit from my stupidity. When you put your time into the calender make sure you include the : colon between the numbers. Otherwise the scheduled time won't stick.

Broadsword
May 1st, 2008, 11:14
I'd really appreciate it if the calandar wouldn't remove game times 2 hours before the game actually happens. I find it incredibly annoying as i keep forgetting which game is supposed to be occuring.
I second that one.

Morfedel
July 5th, 2008, 20:03
I have a update...
3) I would also like to see a way for DM's to delete campaigns that they are no longer playing.

Seriously. I have a campaign from quite some time ago that I had to kill due to real life issues. No way to remove it. It's still there. I realize its not the main priority for the programmers here, but it's pretty irritating to have games that have been dead for a long time still hovering there afterwards.

Makes me want to NOT create a calendar item. Just begging for trouble, it seems.

XpressO
September 17th, 2008, 13:01
Pretty please.
Could you fix the game calendar. The time at the moment I'm writing is 3pm EEST and I cannot schedule a game for 5pm EEST, because the calendar thinks it's 6pm at the moment. Could you please fix this :)

I have the options correctly set to be GMT+2 with automatic daylight savings and it shows correct time everywhere else but not in the calendar.

EDIT: In calendar it says that "All times are EEST" but they are not. They're 3 hours early.

middlemonster
September 20th, 2008, 20:05
one thing that would be helpful for old games, when I canceled my game I renamed the title "Game Over" and deleted all the players and stoped allowing players and unchecked the running box. so theres no doubt that my game is done for. But if I want to use the calender again, I'd just use the same slot and change the title and description and start allowing players again. You can also use that calender for multiple games. Just specify in your announcements which date/time coincides with which game. The staff should find all the people who canceled games and delete them. Or delete games that have been inactive for longer than 3 months.

Griogre
September 21st, 2008, 00:29
You can also set games to private when they are done or full and turn them back to public if you need to recruit again.

Tarken
October 7th, 2008, 02:39
I have a suggestion for the game calendar. We should have everyone post the time zone they are in, and the game system the game will be in, on the subject line. So that people dont have to click on every single one, to know what the game is, and time.

Avalord
October 21st, 2008, 22:06
Maybe a "time stamp" should be added to the entries in the calendar. Seems there are several very old ones in it, that are by no means active anymore. This way it would be possible to find the "fresh" offers.

Martian
November 13th, 2008, 23:28
OK... I'm very new here. And new to gaming. And new to Fantasy Grounds. I'm planning on buying the software.

The only thing I'm NOT new to is Lovecraft, I've been a fan/reader for years and years, so I understand it thoroughly.

I know people hate stupid newbie questions, but could someone please point me in the right direction to get started, and to get started with a CoC game as well?

VenomousFiligree
November 13th, 2008, 23:44
OK... I'm very new here. And new to gaming. And new to Fantasy Grounds. I'm planning on buying the software.

The only thing I'm NOT new to is Lovecraft, I've been a fan/reader for years and years, so I understand it thoroughly.

I know people hate stupid newbie questions, but could someone please point me in the right direction to get started, and to get started with a CoC game as well?

Hi Martian

If you go to the downloads page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/) and scroll down you'll see some community tutorials by Xorn. This should get you started on Fantasy Grounds itself. They are not using the CoC ruleset however.

The CoC ruleset is quite new so not many games are happening at the moment, keep an eye out for games being advertised in the "Guild House". There is a game here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9289)but it is Euro Friendly hours.

MB

howerd.phillips
January 25th, 2009, 01:22

Are you new to Call of Cthulhu in general, or just FG? If the former, check out chaosium.com, yog-sothoth.com, and callofcthulhu.org.uk. I'm new to this game, too. But there is actually very little reference to rules, it seems to me. I've been playing a play-by-post campaign, it's all about thinking, investigating, more like a mystery than D&D that is about getting more powerful, or more stuff. It's great.

If you find a US game, keep me in mind to join if you will.

Narf the Mouse
February 28th, 2009, 16:50
The game calendar needs to display the game schedule.

Otherwise, the name is somewhat misleading. ;)

trevorgall
March 17th, 2009, 12:23
Whats the story with the calendar.. Does FG2 need someone with programming skills to enhance.. , (id volunteer) lots of suggestions here.. seems that its the best way of getting new players.. and therfore new subscrioptions.. but very hard to find an active game.. needs to have an option to show actual scheduled games.. as Narf says. Ability to delete old games. etc etc.

ProfMarks
April 2nd, 2009, 01:30
Whats the story with the calendar.. Does FG2 need someone with programming skills to enhance.. , (id volunteer) lots of suggestions here.. seems that its the best way of getting new players.. and therfore new subscrioptions.. but very hard to find an active game.. needs to have an option to show actual scheduled games.. as Narf says. Ability to delete old games. etc etc.

I'm also interested if there has been any movement on cleaning out the calender and allowing it to be a FGII'ers one stop shop for finding games. FG has a very active community, but finding games atm is fracture among many different fansites.

Rpetiger
June 16th, 2009, 04:52
They need to state the last time the GM checked the gamelist. As it is, it seems all the games on the calendar are dead.

Sterlinganon
June 21st, 2009, 18:51
So, the game calender is completely broken and as it stands seems to be useless for finding a new game.

And all these suggestions seem to be going now where, at least nowhere in the last year.

I'm sure someone else has already thought of it, but what about scheduling using a yahoo group or something else? Maybe FG would link to it so it could be a new one-stop shop for games.

davenporttenn
June 27th, 2009, 18:54
Something needs to be done. I've been trolling for a couple of weeks and not found anything.

Griogre
June 27th, 2009, 22:30
You will probably have a much better chance of finding a game by looking at the Guild House Messageboard every day or so. Many games posted in the Guild House are not on the calendar - I would even say most are not.

gyrhawk
July 28th, 2009, 19:55
Could you possibly place a date and time of the last time the GM of a particular game viewed their post or accepted players... something to figure out if the game is still going or still going to happen. I noticed a lot of folks aren't putting when the next session is going to be (which would give me all the info I want), but anyhow that's my two cents worth.

Thanks

radiocarbon
August 3rd, 2009, 03:47
FG can really benefit from a revamp of the calender system, but at this rate, interest in FG is only going to dwindle.

CampbellR66
September 18th, 2009, 11:18
Having created a Campaign and asked players to create FG comunity accounts ... how do i add/invite players

Valarian
September 18th, 2009, 12:26
Go to someone's profile page by clicking on their site name. At the bottom, there's an option to invite people to your campaigns.

Talmon
June 7th, 2010, 00:24
Possibly breaking the campaigns into rulesets for quickly finding the game type your looking for?

ddavison
July 7th, 2010, 05:33
The first 50px worth of the Ruleset entry is now displayed as a column and you can click on the column header to sort by that.

OmarLennon
September 22nd, 2010, 03:01
hi mates...im new on this can anyone recomend me some campaing to start, i mean for beginners

thanks

aaelon
September 28th, 2010, 16:01
hi mates...im new on this can anyone recomend me some campaing to start, i mean for beginners

thanks

depends on the type of game you would like to play really. I can't really speak for other rulesets but I found 4th edition pretty easy to learn, If you get in a good group it will make it easier for you too ( check out the calendar on here )

Mgrancey
July 21st, 2013, 19:53
It really depends on what you like. There is a list of GMs who will run demos for different systems if you are interested, as well as summaries for different systems as well.
Attn-New-FG-Adventurers!-Please-Read (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?14218-Attn-New-FG-Adventurers!-Please-Read)

So first as your self what you want to play:
Fantasy (high, low, mid)
Horror
Sci-Fi
etc.

Adventure Focused, Social, etc

Are you looking to just try some demos to try out or do you know what you want and are looking for a long-term campaign.

Important: when can you play and how often.

How Rules/Details lite or heavy are you looking for.

Dazzar
May 14th, 2015, 12:03
could you add a time zone to the calender search, it would really help. Regards Daz

Trenloe
May 14th, 2015, 15:30
could you add a time zone to the calender search, it would really help. Regards Daz
Last column:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Game%20Calendar%20TZ.jpg

Clicking on this will bring "tmz" into the "sort by" field and you can then select ascending or descending.

jhall6766
May 14th, 2015, 15:35
Wow I never knew that... Thanks Trenloe seems Im always learning something new..

Quinn
May 15th, 2015, 04:26
There are nine (9) different D&D 5E rules groupings and multiple other editions and systems. Can we get them combined into a drop-down menu so people posting a game select the system and edition and have one grouping of each instead of NINE?

Dazzar
May 15th, 2015, 05:16
Ok, Thanks Trenloe, I would like to See D+D 5e Grouped also as Quinn Suggested.

OH! PS: I still am looking for a group and would love to start playing FG in AEST or close to that zone sometime. If anyone has a game going I am very keen to play AEST, I am a fun gamer honest :P, I think once people learn to play you would get a lot more attempting to have a crack DM a game, you have to start somewhere, as one day I would like to DM like I did for real in 2nd edition years ago.

X-baby longshot
July 12th, 2015, 14:53
I would request a few changes to the calendar if possible. I think these two changes would allow the calendar to be used as a better tool for looking for groups because it would clarify how often the game would be played and when.
First is change the time zone column to a time intended time to start play, that automatically converts to viewers time zone settings when logged in. The time zone the game is being hosted by really doesn’t have a huge effect as must as what time the actually game will be played at. It would also be a bit less confusing if the listing converted the times for the viewer based on the initial input. I realize this is already done once you open up a calendar entry that has a scheduled game, but for initial entries it would help players be able to determine if the game will be played at a viable time for them, more so then a time zone would. I realize every game entered in the calendar doesn't always have a set time so you could make the entry optional and if a GM wasn’t sure he could fill it in later.
Second I would ask that a new column be added to show how often the game will be played. For example one shot , weekly, bi weekly or even twice weekly and so on.. The more info the better, so if chosen on weekly it could give actual days of the week. For example for a weekly entry might be, will be played on: Weekly on Tuesdays. This could also be left as an optional entry for those that haven decided.
Just in case the calendar entry area doesn’t allow for optional entries you could always have a undecided choice for input.

JohnD
July 12th, 2015, 15:09
Calendar needs to be pruned again. All those PFS games from months ago that dominate the top of the list for example.

Blackfoot
July 12th, 2015, 19:39
Personally, I think the Calendar 'main page' has too much information now. It's too chaotic to really come away with much from it. It might be cool if all that 'extra' info was available as a quick 'click' open rather than by going to the actual page entry page... The theory here is ... a simple list with basic important info... and then a toggle that'll reveal more about a specific game if desired... something like how the combat tracker reveals more about defenses or effects... a button to close them all at once or open and close them individually. Then you could have a fair amount of information about a specific game without having to change pages.. and still have a simple list to scan while looking at different options.

What those 'at a glance' entries might be is certainly open for discussion... but a simpler view would be better.

Off the top of my head, necessary 'all the time' fields might be...
'game name', 'ruleset', 'gm name' (no avatar)...
after that... things get less clear... X-baby's suggestion about whether or not a game is a 1 shot isn't a bad one... if it has to list multiple days of the week then it starts to get cumbersome and messy though. Seems like a single word response would be good there... 1-shot, daily, semi-weekly, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly... if you want more specific details.. click. or maybe even simpler.. 1-shot, short run, campaign.. then 1-shot's would need a specific date/time... short runs and campaigns would maybe list a day of the week and time.. whether this additional info was listed in the 'at a glance' would take some discussion.
I am thinking the 'at a glance' should be 1 or 2 lines at the most... 1 is probably the best.

Blackfoot
July 12th, 2015, 19:41
Calendar needs to be pruned again. All those PFS games from months ago that dominate the top of the list for example.
I'm not really sure why those guys don't close out their games after they run... if a game had a '1-shot' tag it could theoretically auto-closeout after the run date... or a week after the date... if folks use the thing for discussion after the game...

X-baby longshot
July 12th, 2015, 20:06
If it’s intended use is to be as a LFG tool then the only up front data you should really need is the items that can help you determin if the game is suitable for you or not. In my opinion the list should consist of the following:
Rule set
How often game will be played, and when it will be played. (I.E. weekly on Monday starting at 1600, or One shot July 25th at 0800)
Name of the GM
Name of the campaign/game
# of players

Most of the data in grey would be better listed in expanded area, although some of it is duplicate entrys, not sure why rule set is listed in grey area and as search able column, seems redundant, keep the search function lose the grey section. Also Campain name is listed twice, again not sure why..
Other the items I would remove or modify:
Last GM Activity isn’t really needed unless it’s used as tool for moderators to clear it out.
If the game isn’t accepting players then it should not be advertised. (make it a private calendar viewable to only active players or the GM)
Time zone, as previously mentioned, I don’t care what time zone you are in, I want to know if you are going to play at a time that is viable for me to join in!

Blackfoot
July 12th, 2015, 20:15
The games that I've played in that have made use of the calendar, did so in a varying degrees, but I know that ALL of the games more or less gave up on it after a while. The biggest issue for long-term use is that the calendar discussions don't send out notifications for new entries... so it's an inconsistent way to keep track of an ongoing game. The GMs are pretty slack (face it.. gamers are slackers) about updating the entries.. particularly after the game has started.

Blackfoot
July 12th, 2015, 20:19
There are nine (9) different D&D 5E rules groupings and multiple other editions and systems. Can we get them combined into a drop-down menu so people posting a game select the system and edition and have one grouping of each instead of NINE?
Bumping this comment. I've suggested this on previous occasion and it's a good one.
Certainly it'd be nice to have an 'other' option.. but the standard rulesets need to be selectable from a list.

X-baby longshot
July 12th, 2015, 20:20
That might be a good point. The calendar is an excellent way of letting others know when game dates are scheduled and would be an excellent way to cancel a session for long term games if it sent out a notification.

X-baby longshot
July 12th, 2015, 20:32
Bumping this comment. I've suggested this on previous occasion and it's a good one.
Certainly it'd be nice to have an 'other' option.. but the standard rulesets need to be selectable from a list.

This is because when you create the entry for a calendar the rule set is written in, thus when performing a search, the selectable rule sets will be a single instance of any rule set that someone has typed in. The means to correct this would require them to build a selectable listing during the calendar set up vice a manual entry. The problem with that is that you would eliminate the ability to list a new developed game or something not normally run. Perhaps a selection of other to enable a written format would be of better use.

Blackfoot
July 13th, 2015, 01:13
He was suggesting a drop down list... which I think should include an 'Other' option.

Genghis Tebo
September 21st, 2015, 21:59
Does the calendar ever filter out the games that players or GM's are not active on I'm signing up for games that say they are accepting new player and have not started yet.
But the few GM's who have replied back to my PM's either say the game is full or is done.

I think after a certain time period of inactivity by the GM or player who started the calendar post should be removed.
So new players aren't PM'ing every single GM about there game I've Pm'ed about 10 or more GM's that have no activity on there calendar posts and I have gotten reply's back from 2 maybe 3.

It is a little daunting to new players having to chase down every GM of inactive posts to find out that either game already started or is finished and is full up.
Don't get me wrong the calendar is awesome just needs some cleaning up.

Blackfoot
September 22nd, 2015, 00:39
Does the calendar ever filter out the games that players or GM's are not active on I'm signing up for games that say they are accepting new player and have not started yet.
But the few GM's who have replied back to my PM's either say the game is full or is done.

I think after a certain time period of inactivity by the GM or player who started the calendar post should be removed.
So new players aren't PM'ing every single GM about there game I've Pm'ed about 10 or more GM's that have no activity on there calendar posts and I have gotten reply's back from 2 maybe 3.

It is a little daunting to new players having to chase down every GM of inactive posts to find out that either game already started or is finished and is full up.
Don't get me wrong the calendar is awesome just needs some cleaning up.
I've found the forums to be a better place to find games than the calendar... specifically the 'Looking for Game/Group' forum (formerly the Guild House).. there are also specific forums for the Pathfinder Society (PFS) and the Adventurer's Guild (5e) which do their recruitment there.
As you point out.. the calendar is somewhat difficult to use for game matchmaking.

usasgt14
June 16th, 2016, 23:36
Hey guys so I have seen a few answers to my question but I am still unable to suggest a session time on the game calendar I have tried all the different variants I say in this thread. Any help would be awesome trying to suggest the 18th of June at 1600 (4pm).

ddavison
June 16th, 2016, 23:41
Hey guys so I have seen a few answers to my question but I am still unable to suggest a session time on the game calendar I have tried all the different variants I say in this thread. Any help would be awesome trying to suggest the 18th of June at 1600 (4pm).

I believe the time was in HH:MM format.

JohnD
June 16th, 2016, 23:50
18 06 16:00

damned
June 17th, 2016, 05:43
and make sure you have your timezone setup in your profile....

Karykzen
January 6th, 2017, 18:15
The Game Calendar needs to be used more. Sad to see how empty it is.

damned
January 7th, 2017, 00:08
People will use it in ways that suit them. For example my established group never puts anything up here but we play something every week. I only use the calendar for one shots when Im recruiting players from outside that group. Far and away most games are never posted there...

jmucchiello
January 7th, 2017, 23:21
The Game Calendar needs to be used more. Sad to see how empty it is.
It needs some help. The dashboard is fixed in GMT even though I'm logged in and have my preferred time set to EST. So I see a game at a good time and click on it and find out the game is actually 5 hours different. That's a bit annoying. If I want to join a game in the evening, I need to look for games running in the morning the next day. Unintuitive.

Also the dashboard shows the name of the game, which can be duplicated since people tend to run published stuff. It should show the name of the gamemaster.

Clicking through to the game's page, no one ever includes a link to the forum page where real details about the game can be found.

It's just not helpful. But I'm new here. What do I know.

JohnD
January 7th, 2017, 23:42
It needs some help. The dashboard is fixed in GMT even though I'm logged in and have my preferred time set to EST. So I see a game at a good time and click on it and find out the game is actually 5 hours different. That's a bit annoying. If I want to join a game in the evening, I need to look for games running in the morning the next day. Unintuitive.

Also the dashboard shows the name of the game, which can be duplicated since people tend to run published stuff. It should show the name of the gamemaster.

Clicking through to the game's page, no one ever includes a link to the forum page where real details about the game can be found.

It's just not helpful. But I'm new here. What do I know.

Good suggestions. Having a dearth of games is just as bad as having a plethora of games that always fall apart; both have people looking to game going unserved and leaving disappointed.

LordEntrails
January 16th, 2017, 21:12
IMO,
- the dashboard GMT issue is annoying, but really shouldn't be that big of a deal. You know its in GMT, so just look for games that match your GMT availability. That said, it should be fixable and I hope it gets fixed.
- The redundant name problem, this is up to the GM to fix by using an intelligent name. Being able to display by name or game owner would be nice, but you will never get people to perfectly conform. Most won't read the suggestions for naming (or anything else) and others will feel they know better and will do it there own way regardless.
- link to the game's forum page. best suggestion is to add a specific field for this, but again, people will do what they want and often they will not fill this out.

And, as long as the ratio of players to GMs remains so high, players will ALWAYS be "unserved". That's why, imo, the better effort than improving the calendar is increasing the number of GMs. Until GMs actually start having trouble getting players, then the system is working well enough to get the job done.

jmucchiello
January 16th, 2017, 21:49
Well the cost to become a GM is a bit prohibitive. You need to buy the standard license at a minimum. And for 5e, the Player's Handbook is so much better than the SRD that comes with FG. But, I didn't pay $50 for the physical Player's Handbook. Buying the "data" for $50 feels like highway robbery.

But I admit I'm a cheapskate. Even if money wasn't an issue, the learning curve for FG itself is also rather high and who has the time to learn all that and make up a campaign at the same time. And no, I'm not interested in running a module. I haven't run store bought module since the early 80s. Why would I start now?

I don't think the time or the money issue is as easy to fix as the calendar. So complaining about the calendar will more likely get something accomplished. :)

LordEntrails
January 17th, 2017, 01:06
But changes to the calender will not change the fundamental root cause or help alter it in any way; player to GM ratio.

If you don't want to pay list price for the books, then buy them when they are on sale, like they just were. Or spend absolutely no money and use Par5E to put in your own copy. Lots of people already have done that.

jmucchiello
January 17th, 2017, 02:06
I was just joking about the money to spend. And unfortunately I missed the last sale as I was still trialing FG at the time. No idea what "Par5E" means. I've only used the 5eSRD that comes with FG.

But I have missed out on several games that did not go through the calendar because either I or the DM did not understand how to use the calendar correctly. Fixing the calendar CAN help. It's not going to solve the ratio issue. But for noobs, it might help the getting one's feet wet issue. If I had not be off from work the end of December I would never have found a game and I'd never have purchased the standard edition. because I only bought it after getting into some games. Getting noobs into games drives sales, I think.

And none of that gets new GMs since the learning curve hump from playing to running a game in FG is pretty vast.

ddavison
January 17th, 2017, 02:09
It is definitely on the list of items to fix or replace. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

damned
January 17th, 2017, 02:44
I dont think the learning curve to DM on FG is that much bigger than learning to use the software as a player. Of course time blurs all things... and Im still learning...

LordEntrails
January 18th, 2017, 03:38
I was just joking about the money to spend. And unfortunately I missed the last sale as I was still trialing FG at the time. No idea what "Par5E" means. I've only used the 5eSRD that comes with FG.

Par5E is a tool for entering bulk text into FG format for 5E D&D. More info here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27297-Par5e

jmucchiello
January 18th, 2017, 07:24
Par5E is a tool for entering bulk text into FG format for 5E D&D. More info here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27297-Par5e

That is very cool. But how would anyone know about the tool unless they would complaining on this thread? :) How many other cool tools are out there that are impossible to find?

Blackfoot
January 18th, 2017, 09:32
That is very cool. But how would anyone know about the tool ... How many other cool tools are out there ... ?
Look in the forums for your specific ruleset, or in the Workshop forum. There are lots of good things in both places, usually attached to stickied threads to make them easier to find.

Cailore
January 21st, 2017, 20:07
That is very cool. But how would anyone know about the tool unless they would complaining on this thread? :) How many other cool tools are out there that are impossible to find?

Looking through the forums can get you a lot of great things, as Blackfoot said. But I agree with you, the whole hunting for good stuff seems to be a bunch of work when using the forums and the wikis for my game systems don't seem to be updated often.

Maybe we need some kind of asset clearinghouse database where people who develop assets can register their material and others can get links to it and rate the material to filter out the crap. Of course, maybe one already exists, but I just haven't found the link to it yet :confused:

longshaden
January 21st, 2017, 20:31
Something like the Steam workshop?

Blackfoot
January 21st, 2017, 23:20
Looking through the forums can get you a lot of great things, as Blackfoot said. But I agree with you, the whole hunting for good stuff seems to be a bunch of work when using the forums and the wikis for my game systems don't seem to be updated often.

Maybe we need some kind of asset clearinghouse database where people who develop assets can register their material and others can get links to it and rate the material to filter out the crap. Of course, maybe one already exists, but I just haven't found the link to it yet :confused:I'm not sure what ruleset you are using, but for most of the ones that have extensions.. there is an extensions thread stickied to the beginning of the forum... in those.. generally the 1st post has a list of extensions and what they do. If your ruleset doesn't have something like this.. perhaps it would be a good idea to start one or ask someone to start one (in that specific forum). Obviously there are quite a few different rulesets and some get more support from the community than others.

damned
January 21st, 2017, 23:46
Something like the Steam workshop?

Whilst that would be a great place to do it I have a feeling that with the DMsGuild and issues with Game System Licencors that there are too many IP issues to overcome...

KeoughDarklance
March 10th, 2017, 22:35
Why is 4th Edition not included in this?

Moon Wizard
March 10th, 2017, 22:38
@KeoughDarklance, what are you referring to?

There is an option for D&D 4E in the Game Calendar, and a sticky thread for extensions in the D&D 4E sub-forum.

Regards,
JPG

KeoughDarklance
March 10th, 2017, 23:57
@Moon Wizard
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuclyjffvr3mlav/nope.png?dl=0 as you can see, only 3.e and 5e no 4e. Unless I am doing it wrong or missed something...

hpdonat
July 10th, 2017, 16:49
What is the standard means to look for a game to play in, and to list a game to host?

Blackfoot
July 10th, 2017, 16:57
Most folks seem to post a thread to this forum, not this particular thread, but a new Thread to the LFG Forum when they are gathering folks for a game... unless they post to the forum for their specific ruleset.. either one of this is the most common practice it seems. As a player.. review the posts in those forums.. usually there's something going on... also join in 1 shot type games.. meet folks.. eventually someone will invite you to join their ongoing campaign or include you when they start one up.

ddavison
July 10th, 2017, 17:07
To list a game, use the Game Calendar option to Manage a Campaign. Mark it as accepting players and then schedule your game sessions. This will add it to the more graphical game calendar used for recruiting. As mentioned, you can reference a forum post and have the post point to the game calendar entry as well.

hpdonat
July 10th, 2017, 17:20
Has there ever been any effort or is there any future plans to make this process more efficient? Just seems highly feasible to consolidate and streamline these methods.

Andraax
July 10th, 2017, 17:32
Has there ever been any effort or is there any future plans to make this process more efficient? Just seems highly feasible to consolidate and streamline these methods.

We'll be happy to review / comment on your solution once you get it working and show it to us... :-)

AlohaJerry
October 13th, 2017, 02:24
There really needs to be a way to search the calendar for sessions in the time blocks you can play in. Maybe a player matching system where GMs and Players can check available time slots, game system, etc. and allow them to search for each other. As a GM I need players, as a playter, maybe I just want someting in my time slot and don't care about system.

JohnD
October 13th, 2017, 02:58
There really needs to be a way to search the calendar for sessions in the time blocks you can play in. Maybe a player matching system where GMs and Players can check available time slots, game system, etc. and allow them to search for each other. As a GM I need players, as a playter, maybe I just want someting in my time slot and don't care about system.

Yes, agreed.

KILLGORE
December 19th, 2017, 18:09
I'm having a problem with the FG game calendar. For instance there is a D&D5e game shown on the day 12/22/17 12:00 EST but when i click the link to enter the game, it shows on the top right of the window that the play time is on 12/21/17 at 8:30pm est. I am confused as to what I need to do to get either to sync correctly or did the GM post the wrong dates and times?

ddavison
December 19th, 2017, 18:12
I'm having a problem with the FG game calendar. For instance there is a D&D5e game shown on the day 12/22/17 12:00 EST but when i click the link to enter the game, it shows on the top right of the window that the play time is on 12/21/17 at 8:30pm est. I am confused as to what I need to do to get either to sync correctly or did the GM post the wrong dates and times?

It's a deficiency with the current graphical game display. It shows all times in UTC. The detail page corrects the time for your current timezone that you have set in your profile.

KILLGORE
January 11th, 2018, 04:11
Thanks!