PDA

View Full Version : LFG 1 Veteran gamer coming out of RPG retirement (very flexible schedule)

JDEMO77
April 1st, 2017, 05:37
FG License: Ultimate
Time Zone: Central Time USA
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: Any day and pretty much anytime is possible.
Term: Anything for now while I get back into gaming and learn how to use FG. In time a long term group would be ideal.
Voice: Have used Teamspeak in other games, am able to acquire and use just about anything I can download.

Game System Preferred: I am always up for trying any game system.
Game System Experience: D&D (Original up to 3.5); Gamma World;Marvel Super Heroes; Twilight 2000; Shadowrun; Vampire: The Masquerade; Mage: The Ascension; Shatterzone; Alternity; and several others. (Currently only have PDFs for Pathfinder and D&D 5e that I am getting up to speed on)
Fantasy Grounds Experience: As of this post, less than 24 hrs experimenting with it lol.
Character Type Preferred: Anything really, but being at the start of this learning curve I would likely stick to Rogues, Clerics, or Fighters.

About me: Started playing RPGs back in the early 80's with D&D, when our groups usual DM moved away I took the seat. Spent the next couple decades running various game systems, trying out whatever I could get my hands on. Joined the military and had to leave gaming behind in the early 2000's. I am looking forward to getting back into the hobby and seeing what it has evolved into.

damned
April 1st, 2017, 05:43
Welcome JDEMO77 - have a look at FG Con 10 in my signature. Play a game or two, meet some new people and you may make some contacts that lead to longer term gaming opportunities.

JohnD
April 1st, 2017, 07:02
Welcome back home.

Black Hammer
April 1st, 2017, 17:25
If you have any interest in the new World of Darkness stuff, I'm starting up a Chronicles of Darkness campaign soon on Wednesday nights (8PM EST).

vodokar
April 1st, 2017, 19:21
I am currently preparing two different campaigns.

The primary campaign is a classic game from West End Games from 1990 called Torg. It is a multi-genre game in the cinematic pulp fiction action style which has a very interesting back-story metaplot on going which the players take an important part in.

I plan to have this campaign up and running on or before the end of April. I have some programming left to do on an extension for the MoreCore ruleset in order to make things better for playing the game, as well as, general GM prep.

The secondary campaign I am going to work on is the new version of Mongoose Traveler. That will be classic SiFi Space Opera in the style of FireFly.

At some point, I might be interested in doing some ShadowRun, as well. It's been a long time since I've been able to play in that world.

I'm also likely going to be doing some classic 1st edition AD&D at some point. I am the author of the AD&D community ruleset.

If you would be interested in trying any of these games, let me know.

I am also a veteran and understand and honor the sacrifices that entails. I am willing to make whatever accommodations are necessary to allow you to join and have a good time.

JDEMO77
April 1st, 2017, 22:19
@vodokar

Those both sound interesting and fun. Keep in touch and let me know how/when to start character creation or whatever ya need done.

I recall the name TORG, but don't have a clear recollection of ever playing it. I see it was first made by WEG, who also created ShatterZone (a game I really enjoyed) so I expect it will likely be as enjoyable.

Traveler is a system I always wanted to try but never had the chance to, so I am very interested in the chance to check it out.

vodokar
April 1st, 2017, 22:25
Awesome. Here is some information for you to peruse when you feel like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torg and https://www.ulisses-us.com/games/torg/

The latter is the new company that has bought the rights and resurrected the game. They have made the entire run of the old stuff available on DriveThru RPG and are getting ready to kickstart a new edition.

Shatterzone was a MasterBook game, as I understand. If you've played MasterBook, then you already know quite a bit about how Torg works, because Torg is the daddy of MasterBook. The basic mechanic is roll a d20 that explodes on 10 and 20. Look on a table to get a bonus number associated with the roll. Add that bonus number to your attack skill compared to opponents defense. If hit, add the bonus number to your damage rating and compare to opponents Toughness/Armor.

And here is information on Traveler:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveller_(role-playing_game) and https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller-1.html