PDA

View Full Version : Buying a headset

hpdonat
March 30th, 2017, 21:25
Could anyone recommend a good headset to use for FG? Looking for something reasonably priced too.

tiawaz
March 30th, 2017, 21:54
Just some general Tips:
First off, decide what kind of headset you want:
a) something geared for voice chat
b) headphones with a mic

main difference being that a) tends to excel at voice and sucks for everything else, while b) can also be used for general gaming/music/watching movies at night without turning you GF/Rommates/Family into raging axe murderers

Then seriously consider buying a variant with its own usb audio.

The advantage here is that you can have the voice chat application use the usb sound device representing you headset, uncoupling your voice audio from game/music/etc.

Take the time to go to a brick and mortar store and try them on, no 2 people can agree on wether a headset is comfortable

LordEntrails
March 30th, 2017, 22:12
Brand wise I've always liked Logitech. They are not high-end, but are usually more of the "business" crowd level of performance. Which has always been good for me. My son has a HyperX which is a well rated gaming headset that he loves.

The next thing to look at is the type of ear cup. Do you want 'on ear', 'over ear' or 'in-ear' (cell phone/ipod style). I usually prefer on ear because they are smaller and lighter, but they don't block surrounding sound like an over ear does.

celestian
March 30th, 2017, 22:25
I've went through a lot of headphones, the last pair before the ones I have now were Logitech G930s. They are decent but the fit is sloppy and you'll hear everything in the room you're in.

The pair I upgraded to are called Hyper-X Cloud II, I think they are called Cloud III now. I would HIGHLY recommend them. They have superior noise reduction because of the closed backed ear cups. The wear comfort is also much better than the logitech as well. The sound quality is good and so is the mic. You can detach the mic and use them as just headphones elsewhere.

For the price I think the hyper-X are a great set. They are mid-range sound quality and superior comfort with closed back ear pieces. There are better sounding headsets but you'll pay a LOT more for them.

hpdonat
March 30th, 2017, 22:59
What Logitech model?

hpdonat
March 30th, 2017, 23:00
Brand wise I've always liked Logitech. They are not high-end, but are usually more of the "business" crowd level of performance. Which has always been good for me. My son has a HyperX which is a well rated gaming headset that he loves.

The next thing to look at is the type of ear cup. Do you want 'on ear', 'over ear' or 'in-ear' (cell phone/ipod style). I usually prefer on ear because they are smaller and lighter, but they don't block surrounding sound like an over ear does.

Sorry about the redundancy, but what Logitech model do you use?

swbuza
March 31st, 2017, 00:26
The Logitech G930 are great if you like random disconnects and reboots.

They may literally be the worst headset ever created.

swbuza
March 31st, 2017, 00:29

In any case, realistically, nearly all gaming headsets, even the expensive ones, are junk. You are far better off getting a good set of headphones and attaching the modmic 4 to them.

rodney418
March 31st, 2017, 01:25
The Steel Series ones aren't bad, and you can get decent deals on them if you shop around.

jasonthelamb
March 31st, 2017, 01:30
I'm not sure what headsets you've had in the past - I've had a Logitech G430, another logitech one (forgot the name), and an old razer headset. I currently have the Arctis 7 https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-7

It's super lightweight, the batter lasts forever, and from everyone I've heard from, I sound no different - it is also very easy to wear for long periods of time because of the band-style they use for the top.

swbuza
March 31st, 2017, 02:17
My problem with most headsets is that the sound quality is substandard. If you're only using it for voip, then any old thing will tend to do. If you actually want to listen to music or enjoy game immersion, headsets are not the way to go, imho.

I see people all the time spending $150-$200 on a headset with poorer sound quality than $20 Sony MDRZX100 headphones. None of those multi-hundred dollar headsets can hold a candle to the $40 Superlux 668b headphones in terms of sound and comfort. And what do you get for your extra c-note? $5 worth of omnidirectional mic and bulk?

For $100, the Superlux 668b headphones and a mod-mic 4 is ten times the headset of any gaming headset you can buy under $300. YMMV.

Nylanfs
March 31st, 2017, 02:29
I have a friend that has a pair of Blue headphones, specifically Lola and they are probably the most perfect fitting and best sounding headphones I have ever used. I'm planing on saving up for them.

https://bluedesigns.com/products/lola/

I've also heard good things about their microphones also if you want to go with separate solutions.

steveonzakon
March 31st, 2017, 03:18
Sades 902 over the ear. Sound is clear, mic is clear. Its not going to blow you away with super awesome bass, but its $25 plus a stupid amount of shipping on Amazon, unless you have Amazon Prime or bundle with another purchase.

Oh yea, almost forgot. Added feature, some of the plastic molding pieces will fall off as well. Doesn't effect performance though.

celestian
March 31st, 2017, 03:34

I will say that mine did have a few issues but most I resolved with updated drivers. That said after I had used mine for about a year I did have to get the headset replaced. The battery wasn't lasting long at all, like 30 minutes or so. Logitech support is pretty damn awesome tho. The setup of the g930 is pretty sweet. You can plug it in or use wireless. Mine also worked at very long range.

I tend to not need wireless and have grown to dislike most wireless stuff (keyboard/mice/headset) because of battery life. I work at my desk probably 12 hours a day and the crap just has no stamina.

LordEntrails
March 31st, 2017, 03:58
I don't know what model mine are. They are pretty cheap ones, maybe $50 that I paid for them. They certainly aren't for an audiophile, but for voice (which is all you need for FG in general) they work just fine. They are on-ear style. And those I talk with online have never complained about echo or anything else (except when my 150 pound dog barks, they do hear that!)

celestian
March 31st, 2017, 04:06
I don't know what model mine are. They are pretty cheap ones, maybe $50 that I paid for them. They certainly aren't for an audiophile, but for voice (which is all you need for FG in general) they work just fine. They are on-ear style. And those I talk with online have never complained about echo or anything else (except when my 150 pound dog barks, they do hear that!)

Please tell me it's a Newfy or Saint ;)

LordEntrails
March 31st, 2017, 04:12
Please tell me it's a Newfy or Saint ;)
Great pyrenees. Two of them actually.

celestian
March 31st, 2017, 05:01
Great pyrenees. Two of them actually.

Ah! I didn't think of those. Beautiful pups ;) We've a Sheltie and a Golden (who is in training to be a service dog). I've a big spot in my heart for the big dogs. They are so sweet.