PDA

View Full Version : AL module conversion from PDF to FG

Teufelhunde87
March 30th, 2017, 10:57
I have converted a couple of Al modules now, and have found that the PDF formatting is different than most PDF's I have worked off of. Some pages within the books you are not able to select paragraphs to copy and paste. This takes considerable more time to convert for typing deficient people like me with sausage fingers. Has anyone else noticed this or have an answer for this? My current venture DDEX 1-4 Dues for the dead , I can select and copy /paste the Overview and several other pages, but as soon as I hit Part 1 , I can't select text blocks again. pages 7-9 so far. I will continue forward, as I like converting modules and running them, but I would be more efficient if I could overcome this obstacle! I am no computer expert, just a 10 thumbed mechanic!
Greg

valiantcosmos
March 31st, 2017, 22:28
Sometime when you can't select text blocks it means the text is actually represented as an image. You might try using some program that converts images of text to text that you can copy and paste into a text input box. MSWord has this function built in. You can find out about that and other apps/sites that do a similar thing by googling 'how to convert an image of text into text'.

Teufelhunde87
April 1st, 2017, 00:20
Sometime when you can't select text blocks it means the text is actually represented as an image. You might try using some program that converts images of text to text that you can copy and paste into a text input box. MSWord has this function built in. You can find out about that and other apps/sites that do a similar thing by googling 'how to convert an image of text into text'.

Great! I'll check that out! The next page I convert isn't allowing selection, so I'll try MS Word

damned
April 1st, 2017, 00:36
Great! I'll check that out! The next page I convert isn't allowing selection, so I'll try MS Word

Try also opening the PDF in Edge (Microsoft browser on Windows 10).

Teufelhunde87
April 1st, 2017, 02:22

That will be easier! Thanks! and it looks like it works! You are a life saver!

Teufelhunde87
April 2nd, 2017, 14:54
Back to the drawing board! I was able to select all text, but the pasted result was garbled. I'll do some Google research today!

BDaniel
April 2nd, 2017, 20:24
Looks like you may have to go back to school and take Typing 101 there jarhead. What Al module is kicking your old butt? :)

Teufelhunde87
April 2nd, 2017, 20:55
Looks like you may have to go back to school and take Typing 101 there jarhead. What Al module is kicking your old butt? :)

LOL! I'm missing a quarter of my left middle so that hinders any typing learning. DDEX 1-04 Dues for the Dead, but every conversion I have done so far has had several pages where I have had to re-type instead of just copy/ paste and remove characters. I'll still get it done, but time is tight, and I was hoping to offer this Tuesday night for the Quest of the week points. It will be last minute if I can pull it off!

BDaniel
April 2nd, 2017, 20:59
You know.....I just got a funny image of you flipping folks off with half the bird finger. Get the nub to work! I know your secret anyways.....you only type with one finger.:)

Teufelhunde87
April 2nd, 2017, 21:15
Your giving away all my secrets!!! Got a little time now, will get back to work.

Talen
April 2nd, 2017, 21:22
Are you selecting the entirety of the pdf and attempting to paste it into the mod? That creates issues for me. I find I have to take a column at a time to avoid formatting issues and misplaced text.

Teufelhunde87
April 2nd, 2017, 22:45
Are you selecting the entirety of the pdf and attempting to paste it into the mod? That creates issues for me. I find I have to take a column at a time to avoid formatting issues and misplaced text.

No I usually do a paragraph or picture at a time. Some pages are fine, other aren't . I have done several other modules I bought and never had issues, just seems to be AL modules (PDF's) which makes it stranger!

damned
April 3rd, 2017, 00:03
It sounds like some part of the PDF text has been protected... :(

Teufelhunde87
April 3rd, 2017, 01:53
It sounds like some part of the PDF text has been protected... :(

Probably! I'll continue to convert and run games. I really like doing it, just takes a little longer.

Elliannith
April 12th, 2017, 22:35
With great results!
Last night's run through DDEX1-4 Dues for the Dead, was a lot of fun. Even for the Newbies.

Teufelhunde87
April 12th, 2017, 22:41
With great results!
Last night's run through DDEX1-4 Dues for the Dead, was a lot of fun. Even for the Newbies.

Thank you! I appreciate that! I don't know whether I have more fun Dming or playing! I just fired up DDEX 1-5 so I have it ready by Quest of the week . I will definitely run it through once before that too. You guys were great!
Greg