PDA

View Full Version : As a Player, do you want Video, Voice, Chat or combo there of?

Art Wendorf
March 30th, 2017, 01:02
As a follow up to my thread asking How do YOU integrate video cams into YOUR Fantasy Grounds Campaign? (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37464), it dawned on me that I might be artificially limiting my player-base by trying to have Video Cams as a part of it.

So, as a player, what are you looking for in a game. Video, Voice, Chat, Combo?

(I'm thinking of returning to Fantasy Grounds and running games again and I want to open my games up to the most people possible while filling some of my own desires.)

Zacchaeus
March 30th, 2017, 01:07
Horses for courses. There's plenty people who are only interested in text only games, and just as many that wouldn't go near such a game and would require voice. Some won't want video others will relish it. I don't think you'll limit by using video (although not everyone might have a camera) as you'll get the ones that look for that stepping up to the plate.

Ken L
March 30th, 2017, 01:50
I recently transitioned an in-person group online and we use Skype video. My normal online only groups have always used voice only though. It's all personal preference.

LordEntrails
March 30th, 2017, 03:17
I like voice and chat combo. I don't have an interest or feel a need for video.

Andraax
March 30th, 2017, 04:24
I like voice and chat combo. I don't have an interest or feel a need for video.

Ditto.

valiantcosmos
March 31st, 2017, 02:05
I recently played in my first FG adventure with video (using skype). I wasn't looking for a game that used video, it just happened that the game I wanted to join was using video. I thought it might lessen the sense of immersion or distract me in other ways. I was pleasantly surprised by the the way it made me feel more involved with the other players. As a group of strangers getting together to play D&D, I felt better connected to the other players as people, and I liked that. And I didn't find it that it lessened the sense of immersion. It just increased the sense of responsibility I felt to the other players and the sense of responsibility my PC felt to the other PCs. I don't think I will intentionally look for games that use video, but I definitely see some virtues the use of video that I hadn't expected.

Nickademus
March 31st, 2017, 02:18
As a player and GM I prefer to use voice for roleplay and explanations with text for lite roleplay or secondary conversations among PCs as well as game mechanics feedback (rolls and stuff). I have no desire to utilize video nor do I really want people to see me. The act of getting a camera and setting it up for absolutely no gain (in my opinion) makes the idea of video nonexistent to me. One of the benefits of online play is the ability to play in my pajamas if I want; why would I give that up.

steveonzakon
March 31st, 2017, 03:37
Mic is a plus. I think it makes things run at a faster more natural pace. Also, I don't need to constantly check the chat box to see if someone "said" something important. No video. I prefer that no one can see what I am doing/wearing. If you saw it, you would probably feel the same way.

Wookiee420
March 31st, 2017, 05:26
Personally, I dont feel the need to be seen, i want to be comfortable and wear/do what i want (as people said). I like voice and text for side comments and stuff, rarely i will have a game that has one person texting but try to mic it all

lostsanityreturned
March 31st, 2017, 08:29
Voice speeds things up dramatically.

Discord is a brilliant little program that gives a free voice server :)

swbuza
March 31st, 2017, 12:40
We toyed around with doing Google hangouts, but Discord was all we really needed. It just works.

Full Bleed
March 31st, 2017, 21:43
We require video in our games. First, because it's just too easy for people to walk away from their computers (for what ever reason) and leave the group hanging and wondering why they aren't responding to what's going on. Having that visual information is key to keeping the game flowing accordingly. Second, because for our players we recognize that the game is based on a face-to-face table-top game and most of us have fond memories of the game being played accordingly. And, third, because it is simply a more rewarding social game when you are more engaged with the other players. Voice and text covers a particular spectrum of interaction, completely failing to communicate a whole pantheon of non-verbal communication that comes with actually seeing the people you're spending hours upon hours communicating with. Having video available is, simply, a more intimate and connected method of interaction. For us, it is a significant enhancement to the gaming experience we're looking for.

Notably, the mutual disconnect experienced from/by players that have, on occasion, not been able to run their cameras during games (for whatever reason) has only reinforced the above observations.

It's what works for us.

JohnD
April 1st, 2017, 01:09
Voice is sufficient. Mind you if I were being paid to broadcast something every time, video would probably be essential.

rob2e
April 1st, 2017, 01:41
Video is probably preferable only if you're streaming (so viewers can see the players' faces). But it's a combative process. I tried it and abandoned the idea. I stream with only my face and the players' voices. IF you are not streaming, I recommend Discord for voice as others have.

Honken
April 1st, 2017, 11:09
I have mostly used voice, but we have done video at times. The biggest problem is that not everybody has a 100/10 Mbit connection it can start to break up pretty fast. I do think that if you can see the other players, it feels closer to a face to face game in feel though it can never really replace it.

/H

Full Bleed
April 2nd, 2017, 15:07
I have mostly used voice, but we have done video at times. The biggest problem is that not everybody has a 100/10 Mbit connection it can start to break up pretty fast.
There are a lot of factors involved in this, but with Oovoo we've been able to have more than satisfactory results in 5-6 person video conferencing sessions with network connections as low as 2MB/.5MB range. Players can do a fair bit of scaling on their end if they need to, but even their highest settings are really not particularly demanding. I'd recommend at least a 5/1 connection for full screen video with 5+ participants... but half that would work just fine for the side bar view. Truth is, most of these VC programs have actually been engineered for passable usage on 3G phone networks at this point. Few homes have service that bad these days.

Nalfien
April 2nd, 2017, 17:48
I think audio chat is very important, and require it of my players. I feel that video chat is more of a role play hindrance more than it is a help. The disadvantage of playing on a virtual table top when compared to at the table gaming is the lack of in person atmosphere that comes with it. The advantage of playing on a VTT is also the ability to hide behind your monitor and become whatever it is you can imagine. The mind's eye step of replacing your DM with Count Strahd Von Zarovich, or your friend as a Tiefling is actually helped by not seeing their real life selves.

I run my games on Discord and use a music bot and sound board bot to enhance the experience. I control these bots within Fantasy Grounds (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37439-Discord-Soundboards-with-DOE-Sound-Extension), and audio adds so much to our experience. The visual images and maps shared with Fantasy Grounds beats hand outs at a real table. That plus tools like the combat tracker are why I originally bought Fantasy Grounds to help host live games, with a monitor on the other side of my DM laptop which showed a client view.

Also, I just like the fact I can look like *** in real life and not have to worry about it while I'm running the show. I don't always look like trash... :D

Black Hammer
April 2nd, 2017, 21:15
If I was on camera, I'd need to wear a tie. And shave on my days off. Probably wouldn't want to drink while I was running either.

As for voice, I like it. I've used Teamspeak most of the time, but I'm considering trying Discord for a campaign for the first time. The privacy issues I've heard complaints about worry me, but it does seem to have some convenient features.

JohnD
April 3rd, 2017, 04:37
Who really wants to wear pants when they're rolling some d20s? Be honest.

LordEntrails
April 3rd, 2017, 04:58
Who really wants to wear pants when they're rolling some d20s? Be honest.
You wear pants, ever?

mythikwolf
April 3rd, 2017, 05:44
For my game I use voice & chat.

1. For voice. It allows to me give life to NPCs that I may not be able to capture in text alone.
2. Again, for voice. Soundboard. Oh god the soundboard and music. Like with anything, setting the mood matters.
3. Chat is used to pass notes to the DM or another players (I can see those anyways.) My players have started using that less and less however as they have started to gel as an adventuring party.

All in all. Whatever works for you is what you should use. Some people express better via voice. Others with facial expressed and some are aspiring writers who can weave imagery from text. It is just a matter of finding that works for you and your group.

Full Bleed
April 4th, 2017, 01:09
If I was on camera, I'd need to wear a tie. And shave on my days off. Probably wouldn't want to drink while I was running either.

=Who really wants to wear pants when they're rolling some d20s? Be honest.

Can't say any of these things are an issue when I've using video. Heck, I've gamed in my bath robe or PJ's many times while on video. And though I've never done it, I don't think I'd have a problem wearing boxers during a game either (it's not like I've mounted the camera mounted under my desk. ;)) People always show up in various degree of "finish"... it's not a fashion show. One of our players lives in Israel and regularly played till 3-4 in the morning... he was often in night clothes. And people don't care what others are eating or whether or not they've shaved or bathed... or even brushed their teeth. We're not using smell-o-vision. I suspect someone would have to show up wearing less than they would, typically, at a beach for anyone to actually get bent.

JohnD
April 4th, 2017, 06:01
You wear pants, ever?

Sometimes the fake Gas company guys come by to try and get me to sign-up for more expensive natural gas while claiming it is cheaper. In these instances, I find a tear away track suit does the best job.

Morquea
April 4th, 2017, 21:08
I would prefer cam. I don't care about others seeing me, would wear pyjama with friends if all agrees. My preference is about better immersion. I prefer when I can see the non-verbal language, face expression. I've played with mic only but with a group at a table at the other end. Find it difficult to take my place or avoiding talking over an another. Playing text only was ok but would prefer mic and video. In the end, I prefer all at the same table. I intend to use FG as table map on a tv during a tabletop game.

LordEntrails
April 4th, 2017, 21:29
Welcome Morquea! Glad to have you join us with FG and in the community :)

Ferrin
April 4th, 2017, 22:05
As a player, I prefer Text only. But, voice or video does not bother me. I mainly play in voice only games, as those are mainly what you find. As a GM, it depends on how much prepwork I wanna do. Lot less prepwork in a Voiced game. But, alot more detail and suspension of disbelief comes with text only.

Art Wendorf
April 8th, 2017, 15:41
Thank you for all the wonderful replies.