PDA

View Full Version : Starting Skills For A Character

JHale1966
March 29th, 2017, 23:59
The class I have chosen (Rogue) says to pick 4 skills to be proficient in. The Background I have chosen has 2 skills that I am proficient in (Charlatin).

Does this mean I have 6 proficient skills or 4 with 2 of them being from my background?

Thanks!

Redemption77
March 30th, 2017, 00:03
Yes, thats correct. You get the skills from your background and the skills you choose from your class. Often times a class only provides 2 skills with Rogue and Bard being much more skill heavy

JHale1966
March 30th, 2017, 00:08
Good deal - thanks. :)

L. R. Ballard
March 30th, 2017, 00:18
Does the "official" 5e SRD include only one background, or does the FG version need to be updated?

Zacchaeus
March 30th, 2017, 00:27
No the SRD has very limited options. It only has one background available

L. R. Ballard
March 30th, 2017, 00:36
No the SRD has very limited options. It only has one background available

The acolyte--that's what I thought. I own the FG versions of the MM and the Tales modules. I'll probably buy the core class pack next, to see how the full character builds look. Do class features at later levels allow for proficiency increases or added skills?

Zacchaeus
March 30th, 2017, 00:56
Proficiency bonus increases at certain levels and characters can optionally add points to ability scores also at certain levels. So skills increase indirectly over time. Some classes have features which allow more skills to be learned at certain levels but there is no general rule which allows more skills to be picked up. So some classes will have what they start with and no more.

L. R. Ballard
April 1st, 2017, 17:38
Proficiency bonus increases at certain levels and characters can optionally add points to ability scores also at certain levels. So skills increase indirectly over time. Some classes have features which allow more skills to be learned at certain levels but there is no general rule which allows more skills to be picked up. So some classes will have what they start with and no more.

Got it, thanks. I picked up the DMG, deluxe PHB, and Volo's.