PDA

View Full Version : Creating This Effect For Ring of Maniacal Devices?

JHale1966
March 28th, 2017, 13:40
Pathfinder Ruleset...

I need to create an effect for the following:

Ring of Maniacal Devices
This elaborately decorated ring is crafted with the design of a fierce dragon wrapped greedily around a shining gemstone. It grants the wearer a +5 competence bonus on all Craft (traps) and Disable Device checks. Even if he has no ranks in these skills, the wearer may make Craft (traps) and Disable Device checks as if he were trained in them.

I'm not sure how to assign it to the individual skills.

Thanks! :)

Trenloe
March 28th, 2017, 14:11
MODERATOR: Moved to 3/5E/Pathfinder thread as this is a question specific to Pathfinder. If you have a question about a specific ruleset please post in the relevant Game Systems forum. Thanks.

From the effects Wiki page: SKILL (D) [bonus], [skill], [ability] Skill checks So, use the <bonus> and <skill name> separated by a comma.

Use SKILL: 5, craft traps; SKILL: 5, disable device You can't change the [UNTRAINED] label using an effect. So, if you don't have any ranks in the skill, just remind the GM that you can use these two skills untrained.

JHale1966
March 28th, 2017, 16:42
Gotcha on the first part. :)

So that would make a Scholar's Ring be:

Scholar's Ring; SKILL: 5, knowledge history

since it's description says A scholar’s ring grants complete understanding of any written text or spoken language, even one that the wearer has never encountered before (as the comprehend languages spell), as well as a +5 competence bonus on Knowledge (history) checks.

And since my Rogue has ranks in these skills anyway, it shouldn't come up Untrained?

Thanks!