PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds won't Load

Masternecros
March 28th, 2017, 01:34
When I attempt to start Fantasy Grounds all I get is a large, white box with the Fantasy Grounds icon and title in the upper left corner. I've tried running it as an administrator as well as running the updater as an administrator. Neither works. Any sugguestions?

Trenloe
March 28th, 2017, 02:37
Welcome to the forums Masternecros

Can you give us a bit more information about your setup? Such as operating system? Do you run from Steam or base FG install?

Can you provide a screenshot of the offending white box, I've never heard of that.

damned
March 28th, 2017, 02:44
Welcome Masternecros.
You might try and check the shortcut and make sure it is not set to open Maximised.
What operating system are you using?

Masternecros
March 28th, 2017, 03:34
Welcome to the forums Masternecros

Can you give us a bit more information about your setup? Such as operating system? Do you run from Steam or base FG install?

Can you provide a screenshot of the offending white box, I've never heard of that.

I am using Windows 10 and I run from a base install. I've discovered that if I go into the Fantasy Grounds folder and right click on the FantasyGrounds application and select Run with Graphics Processor it will start and work fine. I've attached a screen shot of the white window I get if I try to start it from the Taskbar like I used to.

Trenloe
March 28th, 2017, 03:38
I've discovered that if I go into the Fantasy Grounds folder and right click on the FantasyGrounds application and select Run with Graphics Processor it will start and work fine.
OK, that's obviously something specific to your graphics card, so you'll want to make a shortcut for FG that has that setting. Or go into your graphics card setup and set FantasyGrounds.exe to use the graphics card.

Masternecros
March 28th, 2017, 03:59
OK, that's obviously something specific to your graphics card, so you'll want to make a shortcut for FG that has that setting. Or go into your graphics card setup and set FantasyGrounds.exe to use the graphics card.

That fixed it, thanks.

Gwydion
March 28th, 2017, 15:51
And welcome to the forum, Masternecros! Keep posting as you have questions. Great folks here and very responsive as you've already experienced. Glad you got it working.

And of course I missed the Trenloe welcomed you straight away. I guess it doesn't hurt to have multiple welcomes! :)

balth
May 8th, 2017, 21:21
Sadly, I have the same problem and when I right click on the Fantasy Grounds App, I do not have the option Run with Graphics Processor. Base install from the FG website, Windows 10. Running a Nvidia 970

Suggestions?

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 21:30
Sadly, I have the same problem and when I right click on the Fantasy Grounds App, I do not have the option Run with Graphics Processor. Base install from the FG website, Windows 10. Running a Nvidia 970

Suggestions?
Open the Graphics Card settings application and see if you can change settings for FantasyGrounds.exe.

balth
May 8th, 2017, 21:48
So I should clarify - at the moment, I'm at work and VNC'ing into my PC at the house - I see no options, really, in the nVidia control panel other than stereoscopic viewing. Other suggestions?

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 22:00
So I should clarify - at the moment, I'm at work and VNC'ing into my PC at the house - I see no options, really, in the nVidia control panel other than stereoscopic viewing. Other suggestions?
Is there an advanced option in the nVidia control panel?

balth
May 9th, 2017, 00:09
Nope; here's a screenshot of all i see on the Nvidia control panel.18900

Trenloe
May 9th, 2017, 00:41
Looks like you have a pretty basic driver/software setup. See if you can download more up-to-date/advanced driver/software.

Trenloe
May 9th, 2017, 00:57
Try here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

This info might also help: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/541907675756157320/

balth
May 9th, 2017, 20:03
Try here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

This info might also help: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/541907675756157320/

Actually, it WAS the fact I was remote VNC'ing my desktop. When I got home, displayed fine and I could see all my driver options. Program worked as expected. And so now we all know :)

Thanks!

rhking
October 23rd, 2018, 22:35
I am having a similar problem running base install, Windows 10 and Intel HD 520... I've updated all drivers and software.

Trenloe
October 23rd, 2018, 22:43
I am having a similar problem running base install, Windows 10 and Intel HD 520... I've updated all drivers and software.
Welcome to the forums. Sorry you’re having issues.

There are a couple of different issues reported in this thread. Can you give us details of the exact issue you’re having please?

rhking
October 23rd, 2018, 22:47
Thanks for the reply. I have a just a white screen when I try to run the .exe file. The updater .exe. seems to work just fine. I've inserted a screenshot.25065

Trenloe
October 23rd, 2018, 22:55
Thanks for the reply. I have a just a white screen when I try to run the .exe file. The updater .exe. seems to work just fine. I've inserted a screenshot.25065
Thanks for the screenshot. Have you tried what Masternecros mentions in post #5? Or the follow up I also mention?

rhking
October 23rd, 2018, 23:08
Yeah, I don't see an option to run with the graphics card via a right click and I don't see anything to change in the graphics card setting for the .exe. I've inserted a screenshot for what options I see for individual files.25070

rhking
October 24th, 2018, 01:48
I'm thinking about trying to run through Steam. Think that would help?

Moon Wizard
October 24th, 2018, 02:08
No, the Steam version is just a shell that points to the web site version.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
October 24th, 2018, 02:11
I think people have had mixed luck with using the low-end integrated graphics chips in that range with FG in general. Even when they do get it running, it tends to tax the system; and the dice get jerky as frame rates are low. My guess is that the drivers don't support DX9 well.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
October 24th, 2018, 10:04
@rhking - please run the DirectX diagnostic tool - info here: https://www.howtogeek.com/258485/how-to-use-the-directx-diagnostic-in-windows/ and then "Save all information" to a text file and attach that here.

rhking
October 24th, 2018, 14:31
I was finally able to get it to work by trying old versions of my graphics driver. Took forever as the 4 most up to date ones did not work. Thank you all for the assistance.

Trenloe
October 24th, 2018, 14:36
I was finally able to get it to work by trying old versions of my graphics driver. Took forever as the 4 most up to date ones did not work. Thank you all for the assistance.
Glad you got it working! :-)

Sharonw
September 5th, 2020, 05:30
Hi.
I've been trying to download the free version of Fantasy Grounds Unity for 2 nights now, to no avail. Our DM has the absolute/full version and the rest of our group have had no issues, but I can't seem tp get it to work.

I have an old machine (Windows 7, until we can afford a newer one). My DM has confirmed that I should have no issues running it as it uses the same specs as EA Games Sims 3 games.

I can attach a copy of our PC's specs, if needed.
Please can someone help me as it's getting very frustrating?

It either won't install at all and loads up the logo to sit looking at me for over half an hour, or last night it tried to install but stopped after 20 mins and only installed 309 bytes out of just over 4k.39080

Moon Wizard
September 5th, 2020, 22:07
FGU is only supported on Windows 8+.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50373-FGU-Early-Access-Overview-and-Download

Our official support at [email protected] can try to assist with update issues; but depending on the issue, it may not work in Windows 7.

Regards,
JPG