PDA

View Full Version : Steam In-Home Streaming

neologiker
March 27th, 2017, 21:12
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried using Steam In-Home Streaming to play FG on a remote system. It is maddeningly close to working for me, but I'm having problems with the resolution. It seems that when I start the stream, the Steam client wants to set the resolution based on the launcher app, which is not full screen. That low resolution then carries over into FG proper when starting a game. Obviously, I'd like to use the full resolution of the client system to which I am streaming.

So far, I have tried playing with the Steam In-home Streaming options, with no luck after trying many combinations. I've also tried running FG manually, not via streaming, using the full screen switch on the command line. Doing so seems to be broken on Windows 10 for all of my computers. If I could get the full screen switch working, I might be able to get streaming working with that.

Anyway, any help getting streaming working would be much appreciated. My hope is to use the streaming in combination with an old laptop in the living room while taking advantage of my more powerful PC in another room to actually run FG.

Thanks!

hawkwind
March 30th, 2017, 08:56
I would like to hear about this to

LordEntrails
March 30th, 2017, 16:59
Given how prompt people usually are to respond if they know something, I'm thinking that no one has any experience with Steam In-home Streaming. I know I do not.

neologiker
March 30th, 2017, 23:45
Given how prompt people usually are to respond if they know something, I'm thinking that no one has any experience with Steam In-home Streaming. I know I do not.

Yeah, I think you're right! That's too bad. I was really hoping to get this working, since it would make mobile DMing so much easier. Not many people have a computer hooked up in their living rooms, but having a big screen for maps and CT is a huge bonus. If this worked, almost any lightweight device capable of handling h264 decoding and running Steam could serve as an instant living room FG client.

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed that one of the devs pokes their head in and has some thoughts about the Win10 full screen issue at least.

I'll also post back if I come across anything myself.

Moon Wizard
March 30th, 2017, 23:54
I've seen the thread, but I didn't have any suggestions for you.

When the FG window is resized, we update the DirectX screen size. I have no idea why the streaming software doesn't pick up the change, but I don't know if anything we can do from our side to change that.

I would think the streaming software would have to be smart enough to update when the window size or DirectX canvas size changes.

Regards,
JPG

neologiker
March 31st, 2017, 04:17
Thanks for checking in, Moon Wizard!

I took another look at it, this time with my laptop (streaming client) in the same room as my desktop (streaming host). Until I had them both in front of me, I forgot that FG proper actually opens in the same size window as the launcher, and then you need to maximize it. All I needed to do was right click in FG and maximize.

So, it pretty much works. The only issue seems to be with the right click context menu. It seems slow to appear, and sometimes ignores mouse input, although all the other buttons and windows work fine when clicking, dragging, etc. Could be a latency issue?

Anyway, just in case anybody is interested, the one other thing I had to do was change a couple of settings to get a proper resolution. First, I set the streaming client to a maximum resolution of 1920x1080. Then, on the desktop host, I set my taskbar to hide automatically; if I didn't, the resolution is always something like 1920x1040 (40 pixels smaller to account for the task bar in Windows).

Hopefully others might find this useful!

LordEntrails
March 31st, 2017, 04:23
Thanks for posting back the solution. Always appreciated.