PDA

View Full Version : Next adventure after LMoP?

Beldak
March 27th, 2017, 20:12
So, I started using FG to facilitate faster in-person play with my family. (Wife and 2 kids). I think Matthew Colville put me over the edge watching his enthusiasm on YouTube using it. :)

So, we are running through LMoP, and are a play session away from the last dungeon, Wave Echo Cave.

What do you think would be a good one to follow? None of my family is totally attached to these pre-gen characters and I get the sense they wouldn't mind rerolling up new characters. So, I'm not really concerned about trying to tie in the stories behind LMoP and what's next.

Additionally, I want to avoid adventures that may be too morbid or sexual-innuendo etc, as my two kids are playing, and they are 10-years old and 6.
LMoP has been a good fit and a great first start to introduce them to D&D.

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2017, 20:55
All of the ofiicial FG Adventures start (or at least can start) characters at first level. Adventures such as Storm Kings Thunder and Curse of Strahd start at level 1 but they have a sort of introductory adventure which can be missed out altogether and so characters can start at a higher level. The others are meant to be started at level one but for Out of the Abyss I'd recommend a level 3 start. You also have the recently released Tales of the Yawning Portal which contains 7 adventures all of which start at different levels. None of the material is what I would call morbid or has any sexual innuendo or explicitness (although Strahd is kind of a horror thing).

Outside of the WotC material there's quite a few other modules which start at various levels. I would recommend you to the 5 linked adventures by Legendary games which come under the Legendary Beginnings banner (theses are specifically designed for a younger audience and so are a bit less bloodthirsty). There's also a few other adventures now which I'm not familiar with but perhaps someone else can chime in with some suggestions.

LordEntrails
March 27th, 2017, 21:49
I like, and used to follow-on LMoP, PotA.

Though you can run it very linearly if you want, it can also be run close to sandbox if you desire. It is also set just inland of LMoP so the area is familiar to the players (or at least connected). I will add that it is confusing for a DM. The module is tough to follow and not all the links I would recommend are included. I would also suggest you find one of the adventure synopsis or encounter/area layout maps/mindmaps that are available. It will greatly help you figure out how everything is related to one another.

Wookiee420
March 27th, 2017, 23:42
I currently went LMoP, Mines of Madness and "downtime stuff," and just starting SKT (at the higher level start). I think SKT fits in naturally especially if you have the "Rumblings" start in Triboar. In the overland travel and stuff, after about half way through LMoP I started to add a few SKT enemies, like orcs or hill giants, that got them interested when one of their allies came searching them out to tell them that Triboar is under attack, which is close to the actual Lost Mine, and to Phandalin.

Beldak
March 28th, 2017, 01:08
Excellent idea! I might go ahead and bite at the sale on SKT announced today.