PDA

View Full Version : What are the 5e NPC traits that parse to the combat tracker?

poobah_1
March 27th, 2017, 04:22
I know that in certain NPC's, if certain traits are worded correctly, it will be carried over to the combat tracker.

Improved Critical
Regeneration...
etc...

Is there a resource of what are all the traits that have this functionality in 5E? It would save me from creating a lot effects and keep them from PC's seeing it when it is added to the NPC during combat.

Thanks

PooBah

Trenloe
March 27th, 2017, 04:24
It is not just keywords, it is specific wording. Your best bet is to find a NPC with the relevant trait and copy that text as is into your own NPC.

Or, if you're good with code, look in the 5E ruleset code that does the parsing and work it all out from there! :-o

poobah_1
March 27th, 2017, 04:37
I get that.

I know I will have to get the wording down.

But is there a list of what traits get mapped to the combat tracker? It's a matter of not knowing that I dont know.

How would I look for something if I dont even know that it needs to be looked for.

I'll give you a specific example:

I have been wanting to give my NPC's the ability to roll crits on 19 and 20 instead of just 20.

I did not even know that there was a trait called Improved Critical with the language already parsed for use in the combat tracker. I had been doing that manually.

So my question is? What other traits exist that have an impact on the combat tracker? That have been mapped to effects?

If I know that, then I can begin to look for them and how to write them up. If I don't know that, I will spend hours thinking all I have to do is get my wording correct... when in effect, it is futile as the mapping does not exist in the first place.

Poobah

Trenloe
March 27th, 2017, 04:39
Referring to the above mentioned code (parseNPCPower function in scripts\manager_combat2.lua in the 5E ruleset) a few quick ones to get you started:

The left side of the following list is the word/string FG matches on from the trait title (this is converted to all lowercase for the comparison, so case does not matter), after the = is the effect added to FG:

<trait title> = <effect added>
"incorporeal" ="Incorporeal"
"avoidance" = "Avoidance"
"evasion"= "Evasion"
"magic resistance" = "NOTE: Magic Resist"
"magic weapons" or "hellish weapons" or "angelic weapons" = "DMGTYPE: magic"
"improved critical" = "CRIT: 19"

"regeneration" is more complex as this then looks at the text of the trait to find specific "power words" as the code call it. These are "regains" or "takes", the second of which I'm not too sure how it works (I'm not super familiar with 5E). Best to look at regeneration examples in NPCs.

Then it starts to really get complex as another parseNPCPower is called to look for recharge, attacks, damage, saves, reach, etc.

Trenloe
March 27th, 2017, 04:44
But is there a list of what traits get mapped to the combat tracker?
There is not a list. Sorry, I didn't specifically say that, but kinda implied it.

But there is now (at least for the basic trait titles) - see post #4 above.

L. R. Ballard
May 31st, 2017, 23:52
If I know that, then I can begin to look for them and how to write them up. If I don't know that, I will spend hours thinking all I have to do is get my wording correct... when in effect, it is futile as the mapping does not exist in the first place.

Poobah

I'm creating over a hundred NPCs using the parse utility as part of an adventure module conversion. My strategy is to use the wording for traits exactly as they appear in the Monster Manual. If I can't find the trait in the MM, then I consult Volo's. Then I walk through adventures published in FG format. It's time consuming and doesn't always yield immediate answers, but I've solved several wording and coding problems by using this method. Even if the wording doesn't lead to automation, it's still accurate as regards the official sources. In time, I'll build a lot of coded traits that way. The results will snowball.

Joe813210
June 2nd, 2017, 14:08
Referring to the above mentioned code (parseNPCPower function in scripts\manager_combat2.lua in the 5E ruleset) a few quick ones to get you started:

The left side of the following list is the word/string FG matches on from the trait title (this is converted to all lowercase for the comparison, so case does not matter), after the = is the effect added to FG:

<trait title> = <effect added>
"incorporeal" ="Incorporeal"
"avoidance" = "Avoidance"
"evasion"= "Evasion"
"magic resistance" = "NOTE: Magic Resist"
"magic weapons" or "hellish weapons" or "angelic weapons" = "DMGTYPE: magic"
"improved critical" = "CRIT: 19"

I would LOVE to have the full list of 5e <trait title>'s - I can look up how to word the text from references in the DMG, Volos, MM, etc... Any chance this list is available? Maybe on the FG wiki?

Zacchaeus
June 2nd, 2017, 15:20
The information that you seek is in this post here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35937-How-to-Automate-effects-on-NPCs).