PDA

View Full Version : Damage Resistances from NPC to Combat Tracker change

dmssanctum
March 27th, 2017, 03:43
The damage resistance effect works great when applied as an effect, but I noticed that when an NPC is added to the Combat Tracker, some values get truncated.
For instance, if you have "Fire, Acid" listed next to "Damage Resistances" for an NPC, once that NPC is added to the Combat Tracker, the correct affect is added.

However, if you have "2 Fire, 5 Acid" listed on an NPC, the specific values do not appear on the combat tracker. Instead, it adds the NPC with normal resistance, or half damage for those damage types. You can manually edit the effect afterwards to only resist 2 fire and 5 acid, but I was wondering if anyone had encountered this problem and found a work around, so that the correct values can be saved into the NPC sheet and still work on the Combat Tracker automatically?

Trenloe
March 27th, 2017, 04:00
Damage resistance in 5E does not have numerical values, it halves damage. Hence why the FG code doesn't look at numerical resistance when the NPC is added to the combat tracker.

However, the resistance code within the FG damage action does allow for checking for a numerical resistance value - there's a section for "Handle standard resistance" and also for "Handle numerical resistance". This was added in v3.1.0 of Fantasy Grounds. See the patch notes here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html "[5E] Added numerical support for RESIST and VULN effects." Probably to cover spell effects, not base NPC resistance.

So, this can get a bit confusing as it allows numerical resistance to be added to the NPC once in the combat tracker, but doesn't translate numerical resistance from a NPC sheet when being added to the combat tracker.

Do you have an example of a NPC from the SRD or MM that has numerical resistance listed?

dmssanctum
March 27th, 2017, 06:32
I know 5e doesnt use numerical values for resistance, but after seeing that it was supported on the Combat Tracker, I was hoping that I could use it for some "low effort required" custom rulesets.
I do not have an official example NPC with numerical resistances. This is actually for a conversion project, essentially a different ruleset based on D&D rules. I was hoping to get everything working without having to learn how to code major changes to the ruleset.

I planned to have NPCs with numerical damage resistances, but if I can't have that automatically parse into the Combat Tracker, I think I'm stuck. Adding it manually every time would be too tedious.