PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds to Supplement Table Top Campaign?

JonnySweatpants
March 26th, 2017, 14:43
Is it possible, and easy enough to use Fantasy Grounds to help manage a campaign being played on a tabletop?

I have a group of new players, and I want them to be able to experience what it is like playing DnD live. My idea is that I can use Fantasy Grounds to help me as a new DM keep track of players rolls, stats, loot, etc.... in a live environment. I'd also like to be able to share up on a screen some of the supplement maps that are available in FG.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Beldak
March 26th, 2017, 14:57
That's exactly what I'm doing. :) I found it makes the game go a lot faster as Fantasy Grounds does the majority of the combat calculations for you. Keeps it moving along!

JonnySweatpants
March 26th, 2017, 15:02
That's exactly what I'm doing. :) I found it makes the game go a lot faster as Fantasy Grounds does the majority of the combat calculations for you. Keeps it moving along!

So then can I have my players roll real dice, and input those rolls into Fantasy Grounds easily? I know it may seem like a silly question, but I've never used FG before. Hearing nothing but good things about it and I want to give it a go.

Beldak
March 26th, 2017, 15:14
Absolutely! There is a manual dice roll option you can turn on. Then they can roll real dice and input what they got so FG can take over the calculations from there on.

Trenloe
March 26th, 2017, 17:01
Welcome to the FG forums.

And if you want to use a TV as a battlemap, this extensions might help: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games

JonnySweatpants
March 26th, 2017, 17:32
Welcome to the FG forums.

And if you want to use a TV as a battlemap, this extensions might help: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games

TY. Any idea where I'd put the .ext file on a mac? Sorry, I'm a complete novice

Trenloe
March 26th, 2017, 17:39
TY. Any idea where I'd put the .ext file on a mac? Sorry, I'm a complete novice
Start Fantasy Grounds and on the main splash screen click the folder icon in the top right. This should open a file manager, open the extensions folder and copy the .ext file there.

JonnySweatpants
March 26th, 2017, 18:01
Start Fantasy Grounds and on the main splash screen click the folder icon in the top right. This should open a file manager, open the extensions folder and copy the .ext file there.

Doesn't seem like you can copy/paste files into that extension folder through Winery explorer, where it opens the directory. I can see the file, and even copy it, but am unable to move it or paste it within that directory.

damned
March 27th, 2017, 00:41
Hey JonnySweatpants you can access it the long way through finder - it looks something like this:

Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Fantasy Grounds/Fantasy Grounds/Contents/Resources/Drive_C/Users/Wineskin/Application Data/Fantasy Grounds/extensions

Trenloe
March 27th, 2017, 03:44
I can see the file, and even copy it, but am unable to move it or paste it within that directory.
After copying the file: Are you using right-click options to paste within the explorer (right-click -> Paste)? Or have you tried CTRL+V within the explorer?