PDA

View Full Version : Discord Soundboards with DOE Sound Extension

Nalfien
March 26th, 2017, 02:31
Update 10/12/18: New version! No more trying to mimic your Discord log in. Now you can use this bot as both your soundboard and the program that reads your sound links from Fantasy Grounds.

https://i.imgur.com/iaObLem.jpg

Want to use a Discord bot for a soundboard during your games? No Virtual Audio Cable needed. So Syrinscape needed. Now you can control it from within Fantasy Grounds. Thanks to dulux-oz we have the DOE Sound Extension. A friend of mine named Paco wrote a windows program to mimic your Discord log in and send it chat commands. With this program you can set up sound links in the DOE Sound Extension. Here is all you need:

Set up a Discord bot: https://discordapp.com/developers/applications/
Create a bot, go to the tab that actually makes it a bot and enable that. Name it whatever you like. Now you have to invite that bot to your discord server and give it whatever permissions it needs to reach your voice channel.
Find it's token ID
Copy this link to your clipboard and paste it in a browser: https://discordapp.com/oauth2/authorize?client_id=xxxxxx&scope=bot
Replace the xxxxxx in that link with your token ID and then go to the link. You will get in interface that will let you invite the bot to your server. (You may have to scroll that little window down.)
That should list the bot as a member on your Discord server. Set up whatever permissions (if any) it needs to access your voice channel just like you would for a player.

Download the file in the link provided below, extract it.

https://mega.nz/#!2U1wXQBS!sy0wZelH7tAFbL5x5YHv4h2EDocQMUTG9CMbEcs f0y0

Read the README file and follow those simple instructions which include running a couple of files and providing the Token ID of the bot and the voice channel ID you want it to join. You can always get the channel ID by right clicking on the channel.

Put your sound effects in the sounds folder where you extracted the program. Run the program when you want it to be active and it will join your channel.

When you create Soundlinks in Fantasy Grounds, use this prefix: DiscordSFX://
Example: You have bat.mp3 in the sounds folder. DiscordSFX://bat is the sound link.

(https://mega.nz/#!eB1gFYbB!nN3Gym5avzHYOboyBQVQWNGcp-sAbKp8mk-3BhT-S9w)
This requires the DOE Base and Sound Extensions:
DOE Base Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31369-DOE-Sound-Extension)
DOE Sound Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17491&d=1484789055)

Donations for this would be appreciated. Paco's pay-pal is [email protected]. Consider donating to dulux-oz as well please at [email protected].

Have questions? I don't get updates that someone has replied here. PM me for questions.

Gwydion
March 29th, 2017, 23:15
Thanks for posting this. I've read this a few times over the last few days. Can you help me a bit more with what this would do for me? I'm already using the DOE sound extension and love it. I already pipe syrinscape sounds through discord using a separate discord instance from my voice. Would this obviate the need for me to have that separate discord instance? Just trying to understand if this would be useful to me. Thanks!

Nalfien
April 2nd, 2017, 17:26
If anyone would like, I have a new version of the exe that removes the prefix so that you may use multiple prefixes to control multiple bots. Of course, this will require you to add those prefixes to your sound links in the DOE sound extension.

To clarify what this does for me, let me elaborate.

I have myself, four players, a music bot and a soundboard bot all connected to the same voice Discord channel. The bots listen to a specific chat channel that myself and all my players are also in. The Mimic program simply lets me use the sound links extension in Fantasy Grounds to send my bots commands to the Discord chat channel without me having to switch over there and type something like "!play <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOMEAMBIENTMUSIC>" Instead I have a link in the Sound Extension that says "mimic://'play <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOMEAMBIENTMUSIC>" so I can quickly control the sound with pre-game link preparation and real time control during the session.

There is no need for virtual audio cables or a subscription for Syrinscape. I do all of this with no money spent at all (except for what I donated to Paco, but I didn't have to). I just have sound effect files on my hard drive the soundboard bot uses, and I link to YouTube videos for the music and background audio.

Gwydion
April 3rd, 2017, 13:21
Ok. Thanks for the clarification!

D34thbr1ng3r
May 13th, 2017, 21:55
My Bot in Discords keep saying "I don't take orders from you"

what's the issue here?

Nalfien
May 17th, 2017, 17:40
The configuration file for your bot needs to include your name for folks it will take orders from. I hate how sassy it is by default.

Azaran
May 21st, 2017, 20:58
I couldn't get it working, sent you a PM with the details

Nalfien
May 23rd, 2017, 03:46
Attached is the version that allows you to put the discord command prefix in Fantasy Grounds rather than coding only one of them when the mimic program starts.

Vishera
June 9th, 2017, 05:11
Does this still work? The DOE Sound Extension doesn't let me check it off, it has a red X on the box.

Gwydion
June 9th, 2017, 05:12
Yes. You just need to update the base and sound extension to make sure you have the most recent versions of both.

Vishera
June 9th, 2017, 05:48
Yes. You just need to update the base and sound extension to make sure you have the most recent versions of both.

I ran the update but it's still X'd out.

dulux-oz
June 9th, 2017, 06:12
I ran the update but it's still X'd out.

Community Extensions are not automatically update via the FG Updater. You need to manual download the updated Extension(s) and place them in the extensions folder.

A big red X means that you are not running the latest version of an Extension.

Trenloe
June 9th, 2017, 13:32
Community Extensions are not automatically update via the FG Updater. You need to manual download the updated Extension(s) and place them in the extensions folder.
This applies to all community extensions you're using. After you update FG, always go to the forums pages for the extensions you use and check for extension updates that are compatible with the current FG version. If you don't run compatible extensions you could get errors are reduced functionality.

GainunX
June 9th, 2017, 17:45
Excuse me of ignorance. Can you clarify where I find the discord channel id?

GainunX
June 9th, 2017, 18:03
I just found in https://github.com/Chikachi/DiscordIntegration/wiki/How-to-get-a-token-and-channel-ID-for-Discord

For someone with the same question

Azaran
June 9th, 2017, 18:24
I just found in https://github.com/Chikachi/DiscordIntegration/wiki/How-to-get-a-token-and-channel-ID-for-Discord

For someone with the same question

And don't be like me and try to get the ID from the voice channel, it must be the #General text channel id

Az :)

GainunX
June 9th, 2017, 18:29
And don't be like me and try to get the ID from the voice channel, it must be the #General text channel id

Az :)

Ouch! must be why it is giving errors when I run mimic.exe

GainunX
June 9th, 2017, 18:40
I configured it as described in the initial post, but it is giving errors when I run mimic.exe. I must have missed something. Can someone tell me what might be missing?1929919299

izex
August 21st, 2017, 01:49
The bot was working fine when I first started using it and now the bot just joins my channel, waits about 5 seconds, and then leaves without playing the sound :(

*EDIT*

Fixed it. I just needed to go open the UI via localhost:8080

Grimlore
December 30th, 2017, 03:25
Unfortunately, I am getting a similar error :(

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/372162097108484098/396503991304978443/unknown.png

Nalfien
December 30th, 2017, 04:38
Hey everyone! I'm sorry, but the authorization requirements for Discord has changed. I haven't been using FG for a few weeks so I didn't know it broke Mimic. Fear not, I have a new version for you. Big thanks to Grimlore for sending me a PM which will e-mail me and let me know. I'm glad people are using this nifty little program. I will edit the first post to include the new file right now. If you have issues PM me and let me know!

Grimlore
December 30th, 2017, 04:44
Hey everyone! I'm sorry, but the authorization requirements for Discord has changed. I haven't been using FG for a few weeks so I didn't know it broke Mimic. Fear not, I have a new version for you. Big thanks to Grimlore for sending me a PM which will e-mail me and let me know. I'm glad people are using this nifty little program. I will edit the first post to include the new file right now. If you have issues PM me and let me know!

Thank you so much for helping with this!!

Grimlore
December 30th, 2017, 05:25
OK, so I think I have this set-up properly but when I set up the new sound link, and then press the button, nothing happens in discord.

Mimic: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/372162097108484098/396533848818712576/unknown.png

Fantasy Grounds: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/372162097108484098/396534162271633409/unknown.png

Any suggestions?

Nalfien
January 2nd, 2018, 01:53
Brand spankin new version that is super easy to use!

GrumpyOldDM
January 16th, 2018, 15:24
Brand spankin new version that is super easy to use!

Nalfien, do you by chance have the source code available somewhere like github?

Nalfien
January 20th, 2018, 01:49

Nope, but I know the programmer of you need him.

damned
January 20th, 2018, 02:00

Hola GrumpyOldDM have you come over to experience the real deal?

Gwydion
January 20th, 2018, 13:35
Hola GrumpyOldDM have you come over to experience the real deal?

GrumpyOldDM has been doing some awesome youtube videos lately espousing the benefits of FG.... Great stuff.

damned
January 20th, 2018, 14:23
GrumpyOldDM has been doing some awesome youtube videos lately espousing the benefits of FG.... Great stuff.

Huzzah!
lots of GrumpyOldDMs about :)
Always room for another.

mlesnews
February 19th, 2018, 07:08
Nalfien;
Please if you know, how does one get WMP to play through the Sound Bot? I've got everything setup and I can select music to play using the UI (https://localhost:8080). I can play all the songs using the "?random" command in PM with the bot or by selecting the random button or choosing a single song in the UI. What I cannot figure out is how to play "?soundFileName" if the filename has multiple words and spaces in it. I.E.- A file named, "my sound file.mp3" Supposedly you can set the number of times a song repeats but again, the syntax is lacking. Thanks in advance, I appreciate your time and effort for this project immensely!

XIIGage
February 22nd, 2018, 04:45
I haven't been able to get the mimic to work. I can play the sounds through the localhost UI, but using the DOE extension does not seem to play anything.

I have tried variations of mimic to no affect:

mimic://?soundfile
mimic//?soundfile
mimic//?play soundfile

etc. None of them appear to be sending commands to the soundboard.

Mimic shows as connected to discord.

Am I using the DOE extension incorrectly? I just open the sounds tab and add a sound with the mimic line for the string.

Thanks

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2018, 20:02
I have tried variations of mimic to no affect:

mimic://?soundfile
mimic//?soundfile
mimic//?play soundfile

etc. None of them appear to be sending commands to the soundboard.
Do any of these work if you put them in a web browser? This extensions essentially sends the commands to a web browser, which then relies on the local computer's application registration to open the correct app. If it doesn't work in a web browser, then it won't work in FG.

XIIGage
February 24th, 2018, 06:52
Ok, so it seems like my sounds got turned off in the options at some point. So I re-enabled it and now it is sending commands. However, the same above commands now send the command /?soundfile instead of ?soundfile to Discord. No matter how many slashes I put in it does the same thing and won't trigger the bot.

As I wrote the above, I figured out a workaround. It works with other command characters such as !. But using a ? makes mimic send the command /? instead of just ?.

mlesnews
March 14th, 2018, 21:19
I'm not sure what I did but I broke it and it is no longer working. Also, my discord users (validated this) let me know that this bot deleted everything they said in any of the #text channels. I'm not sure what the deal is/was. Since then I've updated all files but I'm unable to make it work again. The bot joined my discord server offline and stays offline despite trying to do anything (play music via localhost:8080). Also with the localhostUI, I was used to being able to select my discord id and then the bot would jump to my channel and play the song I selected.

https://i.imgur.com/YuEe20i.png

https://i.imgur.com/ywymjuc.png

Mr. Hound
October 7th, 2018, 01:20
OK, so I just downloaded mimic 2.1.0.0 but it keeps failing to login to my discord and closes out on me. I've disabled 2 factor authentication in case that might be it (though I'd sleep better with it on.) I know I've got the right email and password because I just logged out of discord and back into it. what am I missing? should I be logged out of my windows discord app when I use it? Plz halp!

Nalfien
October 9th, 2018, 02:36
I will update the top post as well, but Discord has updated it's authentication procedure. There will be a user.txt file in C:\Discord Mimic with the line:

token:channelID

This needs to be replaced with your actual user login token and channel ID.

the channelID is easy. It's the text channel you are having the bot listen to. Just right click a text channel in discord and hit "Copy ID". That goes after the colon. The user token is the part no one is going to want to do.

This part is where you gotta think about the integrity of Paco and I. Mimic is logging in as you. There is nothing stopping us from sending that info to us. We aren't getting your Discord log in info, but you have to trust us on that, and I can understand completely why someone wouldn't want to risk it. If you want to continue anyway, heres is what you have to do to find your user token:

https://github.com/TheRacingLion/Discord-SelfBot/wiki/Discord-Token-Tutorial

Bidmaron
October 9th, 2018, 05:04
... There is nothing stopping us from sending that info to us....

Huh? Do you mean your service could take and nefariously use that token? I think that is what you are saying, but very confusing.

Nalfien
October 9th, 2018, 15:00
That is exactly what I'm saying. The method by which you get your token to log Mimic in as you in Discord could be abused. I don't care to do so, and I'm not exactly sure why people would even steal someone's Discord log in, but ultimately you are just taking my word on that, and I wish to be transparent explaining this is a risk you shouldn't just blindly be unaware of.

It's honestly just as risky as before they updated their authentication protocol, as you put in your email and Discord password into Mimic to make it work.

When you run setup, it will ask for user and password, but it's going to fail when it tries to connect. One it fails, follow the link provided to get your token and edit your user.txt file.

Nalfien
October 9th, 2018, 17:57
Good news, folks. Paco is looking into the code to see if there is an easier way to set this up. Even with the current version though, once you set it up, you're good to go forever.

Mr. Hound
October 9th, 2018, 21:08
That is exactly what I'm saying. The method by which you get your token to log Mimic in as you in Discord could be abused. I don't care to do so, and I'm not exactly sure why people would even steal someone's Discord log in, but ultimately you are just taking my word on that, and I wish to be transparent explaining this is a risk you shouldn't just blindly be unaware of.

It's honestly just as risky as before they updated their authentication protocol, as you put in your email and Discord password into Mimic to make it work.

When you run setup, it will ask for user and password, but it's going to fail when it tries to connect. One it fails, follow the link provided to get your token and edit your user.txt file.

Honestly that doesn't seem too different from a lot of services that ask for personal information then mention they won't use any of it or sell it to 3rd parties. I suppose if the program had that kind of wording when one first signed in then it probably wouldn't bother anyone too much. But that's just my view on it.

Mr. Hound
October 10th, 2018, 02:15
It should be noted that you need to enable developer mode found in: user settings> appearance. in order to see the option to copy ID when you right click on a text channel.
I'm not even sure where one would go to get their token.

Nalfien
October 11th, 2018, 01:49
Token nabbing info is in the edit to the main post. I don't think there is a way for Mimic to get your token without including a full browser in the program, so you just doing it manually is the only way at the moment. Once you get it done though, it works forever as that token won't change (unless maybe you change your password).

gb3792
October 11th, 2018, 02:46
I've started the program, entered my email and password, and then updated the user.txt file with my text channel ID and token. But now it seems to be stuck on "Connecting to Discord..." with no signs of progress. Any idea what could be causing this?

EDIT:

Sorry, I overlooked this:

EDIT: This is temporarily broken due to Discord authentication issues. We are looking into making a dedicated bot for this. Stay tuned. Oh and SEND ME A PM because I don't emails whenever a reply happens here.

Nalfien
October 13th, 2018, 03:03
Important update! See the original post. Totally new version. No more janky trying to mimic your Discord log in. It needs it's own Discord bot now, and no separate soundboard bots are needed. Mimic is DEAD, and not it's it's own thing.

ryukra
October 13th, 2018, 13:17
Thanks for your effort.. Bot doesn't go online.. It says its logged in. Even if there is so few things to screw up with it. XD

Nalfien
October 18th, 2018, 01:46
This assumes a 64 bit operating system. Windows 10 isn't required, but until we can update a library this is 64 bit only.

Caenth
November 25th, 2018, 15:20
Any tips on how to stop playing a sound? If i'm playing background music with a very long duration (like 3 hrs) I can't seem to stop it. When I try to start a second 'sound' while the first one is playing, it plays over the first one. If the program doesn't crash.

Mr. Hound
November 30th, 2018, 16:49
this is a shame, I had the mimic app working perfectly until my latest session last night, almost everything was automated with different bots that didn't require my pc to run them playing the music. This new version doesn't sound like it'll have the same widespread functionality to command the various other sound bots that join my discord. if someone can post a youtube tutorial explaining how this bot works and how to set it up maybe that would help.

Stryfe484
April 15th, 2020, 12:41
Does this still work? I'm looking for options like these for my games, but I don't want to waste time if it doesn't work anymore.

LordEntrails
April 15th, 2020, 18:33
Does this still work? I'm looking for options like these for my games, but I don't want to waste time if it doesn't work anymore.
DOE Sounds extension has been withdrawn. So no.

There are two other sounds extensions. MK Sounds and Audio Overseer that you can use in a similar manner.