PDA

View Full Version : Copying an entry from the PHB?

Varsuuk
March 25th, 2017, 05:30
I had added to an encounter, centering around a Tavern fight, a link to the "Combat" section in C&C PHB.
When I was reviewing my work, I realized the section on pummel/grapple/subdual etc was in the middle and would not be immediately obvious without scrolling.
So I tried to drag that entry link picture from the module/library to the Story section. Nothing happens. I had intended to copy it all then edit out all non applicable combat rules.

Is there any way I can "copy" a subsection in order to edit it and add it as a link to my adventure? If not, I will have to just recreate that subsection by hand which is not a terrible amount of work (especially since I own the 6th edition PHB PDF anyway) - but wanted to know what was the right way.

Andraax
March 25th, 2017, 12:54
Highlight the text you want, hit Ctrl-C. Go to story entry, hit Ctrl-V.

Varsuuk
March 26th, 2017, 03:21
Yup, I know how to highlight and copy.

Unfortunately, when I have this screen up:

but nope, no way to highlight with the mouse. No cursor to do with a shift-arrow.

Usually, I can only edit an entry in 5e when I drag it to my campaign. I've done the same in C&C to the NPC section. I'm pretty sure I've done this in 5e (copy to story) but cannot swear to it.

Andraax
March 26th, 2017, 03:46
Interesting. Yeah, it doesn't work in the PHB for C&C. I've done it from the CKG in the past, and just verified that it works on the CKG, but not on the PHB.

Varsuuk
March 26th, 2017, 05:13
Cool to know. I hope it (not the CKG) is a bug.

Will wait a bit to see if any of the Devs notice this thread before try to contact them directly.

Trenloe
March 26th, 2017, 06:06
Unfortunately, when I have this screen up:

but nope, no way to highlight with the mouse. No cursor to do with a shift-arrow.
That section of the module has a static="true" setting in the XML which sets the records to read only. <PlayersHandbook static="true">

Talyn
March 26th, 2017, 20:44
Aaaaand when I get off my posterior and finish the PHB 6th printing update, it will be reference manual format which is read-only by default...

Varsuuk
March 26th, 2017, 23:22
Aaaaand when I get off my posterior and finish the PHB 6th printing update, it will be reference manual format which is read-only by default...

Bah to read only, I say.

Btw, presumably there will be a seventh edition PDF for you to use in couple months (Jun'17) may be better tasks to hit up meanwhile.

Talyn
March 26th, 2017, 23:27
Yeah, they're killing me...

It's liable to be next year before it actually arrives in anyone's hands though, if the recent MTA Kickstarter is anything to go by.

I wish they'd actually fix stuff instead of just sending it to the printers.

damned
March 27th, 2017, 00:14
Thats pretty much what a 7th Edition is... one or two rule changes, some new artwork and a few more errors fixed up... but not all of them...

JohnD
March 27th, 2017, 00:29
Fix a couple of errors, create a few more, sell new products to general public before you send to your non-US backers.

Varsuuk
March 27th, 2017, 01:49
Right Talyn, I've heard this a lot but since the text is already set, they will likely deliver the pdfs immediately upon due date as printing is not involved. Hence why mentioned it.

Varsuuk
March 27th, 2017, 01:59
Yeah, they're killing me...

It's liable to be next year before it actually arrives in anyone's hands though, if the recent MTA Kickstarter is anything to go by.

I wish they'd actually fix stuff instead of just sending it to the printers.

As a New Yorker, I know better than that o expect ANYTHING with the initials "MTA" to arrive on time.

I'm jussayin'