PDA

View Full Version : 5e D&D Tales from the Yawning Portal - Tomb of Horrors TONIGHT

wthrasherb
March 24th, 2017, 23:52
I'm posting this in this thread and in the normal LFG thread, just to hopefully get more attention. This is most likely a one shot or at least a short term irregular game. My normal game days are Thursdays, but my game got cancelled last night and I need to get my fix for the week.

So Tales from the Yawning Portal came out today! YAY! So you know what that means...

Somewhere under a lost and lonely hill of grim and foreboding aspect lies a labyrinthine crypt. It is filled with terrible traps and not a few strange and ferocious monsters to slay the unwary. It is filled with rich treasures both precious and magical, but in addition to the aforementioned guardians, there is said to be a demilich who still wards his final haunt. Be warned that tales have it that this being, called Acererak, possesses powers that make him nearly undefeatable!
All accounts conclude that it is quite unlikely any explorers will ever find the chamber where the demilich lingers, for the passages and rooms of the tomb are fraught with traps, poison gases, and magical protections. Furthermore, the demilich has so well hidden his lair that even those who avoid the pitfalls will not be likely to locate their true goal. Only large and well-prepared parties of the bravest and strongest should even consider the attempt, and if such a group does locate the tomb, they must be prepared to fail. Any expedition must have magical protections and weapons, and must be equipped with every sort of device possible to ensure survival.

Are you brave enough to face the Tomb of Horrors?

I'm looking for 4-5 players to test their skills in both character creation and challenge negotiation. I'm looking for experienced gamers who know how to make the most of a game. No MUNCHKINS need apply. Since this is a higher level game experience with D&D 5E and FG is preferred, but not required. If you have played the Tomb of Horrors before and are not mature enough to leave the meta-game knowlegdge at home, you are not invited. This dungeon is kinda like the movie "Sixth Sense"... once you've seen the spoilers, it loses a little entertainment value. If you have played it before but you feel confident you can play your character as though he/she has NEVER been there before, then you may give it a shot. Please don't spoil things for those who have not played.

Tonight is more of a D&D strategy board game. There will be little to no role-playing beyond the interaction of the players, and there SHOULD be very little combat (unless bad things happen). This is a THINKING person's game. You must create a 14th level character (I'm assuming that's high enough... the adventure just says "high level characters") using only the PHB. I may make a COUPLE of exceptions for a few Unearthed Arcana articles (like revised ranger). The reason for the limitation is mainly for time purposes since I'm trying to get this up and running in the next few hours. Also, I want to test the adventure against a RAW party. Standard array ability scores (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), no questions asked. This is to be quick, standard, and fair to all and cause as little random discrepancies as possible.

I'm looking to get started about 8 PM Mountain Daylight Time (GMT -6 due to DST) and play until about 1 or 2 AM. I originally only planned on this being a one-shot tonight, but if everyone is having fun, I can run the dungeon until it is complete, but I can't commit beyond that. I already have a regular weekly group and I don't have time to manage 2 unfortunately. But short term, sure... I can't start any earlier yet because I'm still reading over the material and prepping it in FG.

I have an Ultimate FG license, so players only need the DEMO. I have all the stuff and the things loaded into FG that you will need to make your character, so you just need an internet connection, headset and mic, and a free Discord (https://discordapp.com/) account.

This is also my maiden voyage with Discord. The FG TeamSpeak server was down for whatever reason yesterday and so I started looking into Discord. Today I got it all set up with my sound FX and what not and I'm ready to give it a try! So I need you guys to help me test out stuff by playing tonight!

Come on, it's Friday, you're off work, you ain't go $#!+ to do... you need to roll some virtual dice!

I've NEVER had a party make it therough this dungeon start to finish... not since I started playing around 1992ish... I've run the dungeon in every incarnation of the rules except 4th (I owned that one and read it, just hated 4th and never played it). No one survives...

I'll even consider rolling all DM rolls OPENLY, just so we can all see the dice fall where they may... LOL

Who's down?

Send me a Private message on here and I'll send you the Discord link and Fantasy Grounds log on info.

First come first serve. If you can't play from about 8 pm - 2 am, don't sign up. I want people who can stay on at least that long. I've gotta work in the morning, so we won't go past 2, I promise.

wthrasherb
March 25th, 2017, 02:57
I got 2 so far... need at least 2 more... come on folks

wthrasherb
March 25th, 2017, 03:57
We gave up... another time I guess...

CelticAvenger!888
March 25th, 2017, 11:38
You should do it sometime today! 3/25!

Teufelhunde87
March 26th, 2017, 16:30
We gave up... another time I guess...
I got games on Thursday and Friday or I would have jumped all over it! I'll keep my eyes open for a new date.