PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with groups

SheckyS
March 24th, 2017, 21:22
Hi,

So for the most part, I like all the new updates to FantasyGrounds in the last big patch. I especially like being able to create groups so I can categorize things like encounters and maps. But I am getting very frustrated when it comes to maps/images.

I can't figure out the proper way to put a map/image into a group. This seems like it should be so simple and yet it's driving me crazy.

I added a new image to my maps folds. Great.
It shows up under (All) or (New). Also great.
But I don't want it under new. I want it under a location-specific group.

The only way I can find to do that is to open the map, then select the group. Then drag the map into that group. This SEEMS like it works. But then when I click on the map from within the group I get an empty gray box.

Why is this so complicated?
What's the right way to do it?

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2017, 21:36
Whatever group you have open in images & Maps will be the place where your map or image appears when you add it to your images folder. To move from one folder to another open the groups so you can see all the groups and with the image visible in the box below the group drag and drop into the group you want to move it into.

Not entirely sure how you are getting blank images but I assume that you don't have a folders within your images folder in your campaign? If you do have such folders then that is what your problem is since you are moving the image within FG but not in the folder, so FG loses sight of where the image is.

Trenloe
March 25th, 2017, 00:13
The video in post #1 here might also help to give a background on how groups work: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36184-Release-v3-2-2-is-live

ddavison
March 25th, 2017, 00:54
To move items from the New group to another group, you can expand the group listing until your group you want is shown. Don't actually click on the group because it will change the current displayed entries from New to the clicked Group. Then drag the entry from the list of items (images in this case) up to the group you want it to belong to. Most other types of objects (story, item, npc) should automatically populate into the currently selected group when you create a new object of that type.