PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to disable/remove token shadows?

Rades
March 24th, 2017, 20:55
Hey all, you know when you place a token down onto an image, it automatically gets a small drop shadow effect applied to it along the bottom and right-hand edges? Is there any way to disable this shadow? On a few occasions this shadow has given away to my players that there is something hidden there, because they can see the shadow overlaid on top of the battlemap.

Two examples:
1. There's a secret passageway, so I put a token of a blank wall over top of the passage. Problem: the players see the shadow of the blank wall token and get suspicious.
2. A section of a room can be rotated if the PCs trigger a trap, so I place the rotating section as a token, so it can be rotated. Problem: Again, the players see the shadow and know that this part of the room is different somehow.

Is disabling these shadows possible somehow? Or if it isn't currently, might this be something that could possibly be added in the future?

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2017, 21:06
I must admit I've never seen a problem such as this. Perhaps it's only visible with white background maps? Also what ruleset are you using and what tokens?

Rades
March 24th, 2017, 21:25
Hi Zacchaeus, I'm using the 4E ruleset, grid enabled, and the tokens I'm using in these cases are simply portions of the larger map that I've cropped out and saved as small jpeg/png tokens (the shadowing occurs with both file type). For example, I just took the nice cobblestone/tree map from this thread ( https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35034-Map-Tiles ) and cropped out the tree area to use as a token, then dropped the tree token on top of the full map - you can see quite clearly where the edge of the token is.

The only extension I use is Enhanced Images, but I just tried without Enhanced Images activated and tokens still have the shadow. And when using Enhanced Images, the shadows show up regardless of which of the three layers the token is placed on.

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2017, 21:46
Hmm, so I see. I take it the token is on the CT and invisible?

Rades
March 24th, 2017, 22:01
No, these are tokens I have been dragging from the tokens folder. However, I tried throwing a dummy NPC on the CT and giving it the tree icon but it still has the shadows, unfortunately.

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2017, 22:05
I wonder if this is only a problem with square tokens. I don't have any square ones that I can test with.

Rades
March 24th, 2017, 22:24
I hadn't thought of it being related to square or circular tokens, but it looks like circular tokens are doing the same thing, sadly. :( The shadow follows the curve of the token image.

seycyrus
March 24th, 2017, 23:27
I don't see my tokens doing this, on any of my maps. Are you sure its not related to how YOU are creating the tokens?

Rades
March 24th, 2017, 23:44
It's definitely possible! But I don't know what I might be doing wrong. I've tried saving the PNG tokens as both Interlaced and not Interlaced, and the JPG images are just standard .jpg files. Hmm.

I tested to see if this is a 4E problem, but I am getting identical shadowing in a 5E campaign as well.

I tried using a token someone else built, the second one from this thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35941-Hurske-s-Male-Human-Fighter-token-pack but I still get the shadows (see attached).

Moon Wizard
March 24th, 2017, 23:50
The token shadows are built into the client, and not something that can be disabled.

We're looking at improving many image/token options in the big rewrite we are working on, but we don't have a time frame yet.

Regards,
JPG

Rades
March 25th, 2017, 00:01
The token shadows are built into the client, and not something that can be disabled.

We're looking at improving many image/token options in the big rewrite we are working on, but we don't have a time frame yet.

Regards,
JPG

Ah, darn. Okay thanks for the info Moon Wizard! And ty everyone who replied to help troubleshoot. I'll just have to be sneakier in how I do these token reveals, I suppose! (I'm curious what others are seeing on their boards, if not shadows though? :O)

Bidmaron
March 25th, 2017, 02:56
We're looking at improving many image/token options in the big rewrite we are working on, but we don't have a time frame yet....

Are you referring to FGU or some other big rewrite of the current engine?

Nickademus
March 25th, 2017, 03:30
Ah, darn. Okay thanks for the info Moon Wizard! And ty everyone who replied to help troubleshoot. I'll just have to be sneakier in how I do these token reveals, I suppose! (I'm curious what others are seeing on their boards, if not shadows though? :O)

I looked at the 5e ruleset to see if the shadows were present. I don't remember them; but then I noticed that all the shadows of my tokens blend into the grid. I think it is more noticeable for you due to the large size of the token (not that you are about to break the tree up into smaller tokens).