PDA

View Full Version : License type?

hpdonat
March 23rd, 2017, 21:27
I am considering either a standard or ultimate monthly licence to at least get my feet wet in FG. I want to both play a character and gm. Do you think that my chances to organize a game to gm will be greatly diminished with a standard license rather than the ultimate?

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2017, 21:33
It's hard to say. Obviously with an ultimate license you'll have a bigger pool of potential players. if you are concerned about cost or want to test the waters consider a subscription rather than the one off purchase before you take the plunge.

hpdonat
March 23rd, 2017, 22:45
That is exactly my train of thought. thanks

LordEntrails
March 23rd, 2017, 23:00
Given the general abundance of players per GM, if you are sticking to one of the popular systems (D&D 5E, PF, SW) then I think you will have enough good players to chose from with just a standard license.

Some GM's insist that the standard license is better for a GM because it forces the players to have a standard license, and that then means that they have put some money into the system and are more committed to sticking with it. But, your mileage may vary *G*

swbuza
March 23rd, 2017, 23:39
I bought the ultimate license because I am hosting games for the next generation of players; who tend not to be in a position to spend an extra $40. So I'm cool with subsidizing their ability to play. If i were playing with my college buddies, I'd expect we'd all contribute $40.

Griogre
March 24th, 2017, 00:15
One way of looking at it is who you as a GM are targeting as prey... er players. :) If you have some friends you are trying to get to give it a whirl, then you might want to try the ultimate subscription. If you are looking for players among the current FG base then the standard is probably fine if want to run something popular. As a player it doesn't matter which license you get.

I'm personally one of the GM's that likes to have players with skin in the game, so all of my players have a license of some sort. But that is a decision you can wait on until you decide if you like FG.