PDA

View Full Version : Compelled Duel anyone?

rob2e
March 23rd, 2017, 07:00
I'm wondering if anyone has bothered (tried?) to figure out if coding Compelled Duel as a Combat Tracker effect can be done. It seems it would somehow be possible with the use of IF, IFT, custom, or some combination thereof, but I can't figure out exactly how to make sure the target would have DISATK on ONLY the caster. Maybe I'm just tired, or dumb. lol

Anyone?

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2017, 09:34
Effect targeting (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Effect_Targeting) will ensure that there is only one target

rob2e
March 23rd, 2017, 19:58
I'm all turned around here. If I apply an effect to the target DISATK (for everyone but me) then how do I apply and effect that if the target attacks me is CANCELS DISATK. This is breaking my brain.

rob2e
March 23rd, 2017, 20:12
I may have figured it out. Both effects applied to the monster.

First Effect:

Compelled Duel; ADVATK
Targeting: Targets
Effect Targeting: Self

Second Effect:

Compelled Duel; DISATK
Targeting: Targets
Effect Targeting: None

This seems to accomplish what is needed, but it broke my rain.

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2017, 20:41
Yes, that's pretty much how you would do it. (I say this not having tested it out of course)

LordEntrails
March 23rd, 2017, 23:13
This seems to accomplish what is needed, but it broke my rain.
Obviously it broke your rain​ *G*

rob2e
March 23rd, 2017, 23:24
My rain is broken. Ahhhhh!

lmao

But this Compelled Duel thing seems to work every way I've tested it.

It's all part of my nine-year project to properly code EVERY SPELL so I never have to do this s#*t again.

JohnD
March 23rd, 2017, 23:56
My rain is broken. Ahhhhh!

lmao

But this Compelled Duel thing seems to work every way I've tested it.

It's all part of my nine-year project to properly code EVERY SPELL so I never have to do this s#*t again.

They'll be on 7e by the time you finish.

Dracius
March 24th, 2017, 00:05
FYI, there will be one issue with coding it this way: If the enemy creature gets ADV from another source, the DIS you're applying to it will cancel that out as well.

The only "proper" way to do this requires setting multiple effect targets, which only the DM can do. Doesn't take long, but not all DM's want to play ball.

zathrath03
August 25th, 2018, 21:41
I did something similar with two effects, but a little simpler.

1st effect:
(C); IFT: CUSTOM(NotMe); DISATK

2nd effect:
(C); NotMe

Place the first effect on your target, then place the NotMe effect on all your allies

rob2e
August 26th, 2018, 01:48
No CUSTOM effect needed, just use SHIFT DRAG.

marcusrife
August 30th, 2018, 15:56
There is no need for the first effect in the image yes? Isn't that just for tracking concentration? Don't the others do that for you? I believe the shift click effect should also be ADVATK not GRANTADVATK. I tested it and it worked with the former and not the latter. Also the way you have done it would cancel out the effect of other advantage modifiers. If the target gets advantage through some other means it should have advantage against you. Since you already have disadvantage and advantage effects canceling each other adding another advantage does nothing. zathrath03's method does not have this problem.

Krtek
July 8th, 2023, 16:38
According to your posts, I made it work like this.

1st effect goes to the caster:
Compelled Duel;(C);Me;[SELF]

2nd effect goes to the targeted creature:
Compelled Duel;DISATK;IFT:CUSTOM(Me);ADVATK

Works just like the one zathrath03 wrote, but you do not need to target everyone else.