PDA

View Full Version : Player can't keep module open

GunbunnyFuFu
March 23rd, 2017, 01:25
Hello!

I've got a player in my Savage Rifts game whose modules won't stay open. I've shared the Savage Worlds Player's Guide and the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide. Other players can see and browse these modules just fine, however, there is one player who opens it, but when he closes the Data Module Activation Window, the two modules shared close as well.

Thoughts on where to start with troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Gunbunny

Trenloe
March 23rd, 2017, 01:28
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30604-Windows-file-access-issues-can-t-update-campaigns-not-saving-etc-Fix-options

And check to see if the module .dat files are being downloaded to the players cache directory for the campaign.

GunbunnyFuFu
March 23rd, 2017, 04:09
I ran as admin, and it seemed to take care of it. Thanks Trenloe!

One other strange happening...I assigned the player an ally by dragging and dropping to his portrait. There were no changes to his portrait and the ally showed on the character sheet, however, when drug to the combat tracker the player's token showed up being the same one as the ally (in this case the standard image for the dog ally). No matter what I did, nothing would fix it (I even restarted FG). Any thoughts on how to fix this?

GunbunnyFuFu
March 23rd, 2017, 04:18
Cleared it up...went into the db.xml for the campaign, removed the dog.png token that was showing for the player, saved it, and then started the game. Drug the correct token up and everything is A-OK now.

Thanks Trenloe!

GB

Trenloe
March 23rd, 2017, 05:34
... and everything is A-OK now.
Fantastic! :)

damned
March 23rd, 2017, 07:14
I think I know what the issue here was - too many drugs of course!

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2017, 09:32
i think i know what the issue here was - too many drugs of course!

lol :D

GunbunnyFuFu
March 23rd, 2017, 20:32
Haha! :)

GunbunnyFuFu
March 24th, 2017, 21:07
OK..so I had thought this went away, but I still have players complaining about it. I'm running FG as Administrator, and the Everyone user has full control of my all FG folders under AppData/Roaming/FG. Any other thoughts or ideas where to go with this...one player can access it, the other cannot...it won't stay open.

GB

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2017, 21:23
Possibly a permissions issue? Where does the players data files reside and does he have full read/write access. Also does he have a very slow connection? Has the file fully downloaded? Possibly nuke his cache as well.

GunbunnyFuFu
March 24th, 2017, 21:25
Update: When joining my game, I noted the same behavior when connected localhost. I open the module (shows a spiderweb on the cover), and it stays open in the data module activation window, but it doesn't show up in the library. When I close the Data Module Activation window and reopen it, the module shows as closed.

GunbunnyFuFu
March 24th, 2017, 21:30
Checking the permissions, everyone has full control when I connected locally..not sure about the other player, but they did run FG as an administrator and showed the appropriate .dat file in their player cache.

GB

GunbunnyFuFu
March 24th, 2017, 21:39
UPDATE: In comparing file sizes in the cache, the module file is different on all of ours between three players.

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2017, 21:42
Sounds like the module hasn't fully downloaded. This can take a long time depending on connection. Also the cache size might depend on whether the module was opened and what actions the player took - so that might not be significant. Also usually running as admin isn't usually the best solution. It's better to sort out the read/write permissions.

GunbunnyFuFu
March 24th, 2017, 21:53
I don't know what permissions would be affecting it at this point. The Everyone user has full control to the Fantasy Grounds folder structure. Spot checking folder permissions and file permissions on child objects in those folders show the Everyone user has full access as well. *scratches head*

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2017, 22:06
Not you the player having the problem.

GunbunnyFuFu
March 24th, 2017, 22:09
I repacked the module and it seemed to have worked, though I'm not sure for how long, or why...I'll check with the player to see if they have permissions set to full control.

GunbunnyFuFu
March 24th, 2017, 22:09
Thanks Zacchaeus for your help!

Trenloe
March 24th, 2017, 23:37
EDIT: Sorry - missed a whole page of responses.