PDA

View Full Version : Effect Templates

Allmight
March 22nd, 2017, 10:59
** MOVING BACK TO D&D 5E **

NOTE: I am moving back to 5E again, so i will cancel work on the Pathfinder templates. I might start a similar project on the 5E side if there is nothing similar already in existance.

I love the effect system in FG, and how it allows you to create effects to simulate class abilities and the like. However, for many of my players, creating effects is a hassle they dont like nor want which in turn forces me to create the effects for them. This takes away some of my precious time i need to game prep. And if they level in the middle of the game, the game grinds to a halt while we have to create the effects for their new abilities.

So, i got the idea from someone here on the forums (don't remember where i saw it and who posted it, and can't find it again) that i can make PC's that i can use as templates, from which i can drag the abilities i need to the players character sheet. I tried it out, and it works like a charm.

I am now working on creating templates for all the core classes, only using the core rules for starters. In time i will probably expand this to include more classes and more abilities. I am even considering picking up where Farnaby left off, continue to build complete spellbooks where all effects are already supplied, but that is in the future.

Since this community has been so helpful toward me when i came in as a total noob i thought i would contribute with something back, so i will share my work with all of you if there is any demand/interest for these kind of tools.

Since i am still learning the effects system, i am sure there are things i could do better, and that there are some errors. If you find any, let me know. If you have sugestions/requests just let me know and i'll see what i can do.

So far i have only done the Barbarian, and there are still some tweeks i need to do, but i'll share it still to see if there is any interest for this. The other classes are being worked on. I will post them here as they are completed.

NOTE: These are for the Pathfinder ruleset. Might work for 3.5E as well, not sure how similar they are.

EDIT: To clarify. These works differently than the existing effects libraries. The effects libaries work with the CT. You need to open the effects window, chose an effect and target the PC on the CT or token. The sollution i use put the effects on the PC character sheet, much like a spell, so the player can activate them from there. The advantage, the player have an easier time keeping track of his/her abilities, what he/she know and still hav'nt learned/achieved. Also, i intend to support ALL class abilites, from the barbarians rage powers to the clerics domain powers. These are usually missing in most effect libraries.

INSTALLATION
---------------------------
To get these into your campaign, just open the character list, hit the small (/) at the bottom and import the character from wherever you have put it. Note, you have to unzip the file first.

FILES
---------------------------
Barbarian Effects Template (v0.9) (https://www.dosse.se/effects_template_barbarian.zip)

Bidmaron
March 22nd, 2017, 12:36
This is fantastic!
Thanks

Paul Pratt
March 22nd, 2017, 17:16
There is a .mod for this. Check here page 12 Feb of 2015 has a large library.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18006-Effects-library/page12

Trenloe
March 22nd, 2017, 17:21
And the action library here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24443-PFRPG-Action-Library

Both the above and this one are linked from the modules page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules

@Allmight - don't let these put you off what you're doing, but you may get some ideas/save some time looking at these resources.

Allmight
March 22nd, 2017, 17:25
And the action library here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24443-PFRPG-Action-Library

Both the above and this one are linked from the modules page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules

@Allmight - don't let these put you off what you're doing, but you may get some ideas/save some time looking at these resources.

No worries, i wont. I mostly make these for myself and my group. If others want to use them, great. If not, thats ok :)

After all, what i am doing works in a different way than those libraries. The libraries works with the combat tracker while mine works from the character sheet, much like spells. And those libraries only contain a fraction of what's in the classes. My goal is to add everything a class has, all abilities, such as rage powers of a barbarian, domains of a cleric and so on, easily accessible from within their character sheet.

EDIT: Refrased my post since it was unclear.

Trenloe
March 23rd, 2017, 05:52
From my perspective (referring to the vote), the end goal is usually to get most of the effects a player will use into the actions section of the character sheet. Especially if the player remove effect extension will be used. So, the question is, what is the easiest way to make actions available to players to be able to drag/drop to their character sheet?

PC templates make a lot of sense, as they are (relatively) easy to put together, test, etc.. The main issue is that the GM has to import each one into their campaigns and only one player at a time can access them - which is probably fine for class based actions, as it's uncommon to have the same class more than once in the party. But things could get mixed up with race abilities - although there aren't many of these that require actions.

Thus, it's nice to have reference libraries that all of the players can access - which is what darrenan put together in his excellent actions library here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24443-PFRPG-Action-Library This is a bunch of actions (within a "spell" container), that are formatted so they can be dragged to a "spell class" on the actions tab and will create the entry and actions needed. The main disadvantage to this approach is that it takes much more work to put the module together. The advantage is that it's a one off share to all of the players and everyone can access it.

So, advantages and disadvantages to both approaches - they both have merit and can be used in tandem; so neither is the wrong approach or redundant.

The third option is to make a bunch of campaign effects - which can be exported to a module. This has the advantage of being fairly quick to make and easy to convert into a module, but it does require extra steps if the player wants to add the effects to their actions tab (assuming that is the end goal we're discussing here).

Lots of options, which is what's great about Fantasy Grounds - you're rarely constrained to one set approach.

Allmight
March 23rd, 2017, 09:31
I see what you are saying Trenloe, and i do agree that there are many ways to do it, each having it's pros and cons. Maybe the best way to go about it is to construct a module that contains all three options? That way you will get the benefit of all in one package.

I will take a look at darrenan's library, see what he did, and maybe start on something that contains the PC templates, darrenan's method and ordinary effects in one package.

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2017, 09:43
From my preservative

Is this marmalade or jam :)

Callum
March 23rd, 2017, 12:11
Is this marmalade or jam :)

You mean "salt or vinegar"... ;)

Trenloe
March 23rd, 2017, 13:51
It's all four - I need more as I get older... ;)

Trenloe
March 23rd, 2017, 13:53
Maybe the best way to go about it is to construct a module that contains all three options? That way you will get the benefit of all in one package.

I will take a look at darrenan's library, see what he did, and maybe start on something that contains the PC templates, darrenan's method and ordinary effects in one package.
I think that would be a lot of work, and would be duplicating actions/effects across three areas which could get very confusing. But, hey, if that's what you want to do... ;)

Allmight
March 27th, 2017, 19:45
Sorry, but i am moving back to D&D 5E again, so i will cancel my work on the Pathfinder class templates.

If there is nothing similar on the 5E side already in existance, i might pick this up there instead.

Anyhow, a big thank you to everyone who took time to answer the poll, and helping me out in this thread.

Trenloe
March 27th, 2017, 19:48
If there is nothing similar on the 5E side already in existance, i might pick this up there instead.
See the Complete Package Series here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

Trenloe
March 28th, 2017, 18:04
As this work is no longer progressing, I've closed the poll. It can be opened again if need be.

Allmight
March 28th, 2017, 18:06
Thank you Trenloe. I was planing to ask you, but forgot.