PDA

View Full Version : LF DMs and Players for - West Marches Style 5E campaign US times

bryk
March 21st, 2017, 12:24
FG License: I have the ultimate license and full FG core bundle
Time Zone: EST
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: I am available typically in the evenings, will be starting games usually between 6 and 7 PM Eastern. I may also run some on weekends
Term: I'm looking to run this as a long-term sandbox campaign.
Voice: I have discord, skype, and mubmle. Preferred voice for the games I DM will be my mumble server.

Game System: D&D 5e
Game System Experience:I played D&D when 5e was in playtesting for 1 1/2 years, into the launch of 5e. I just returned after a two years hiatus.
Fantasy Grounds Experience: I am learning FG as I go, my previous experience was with Roll20.

About me:

I'm looking for a total of 5-6 including me DMs, and up to 30ish players for Adventures of Asfalorn, a West Marches Style 5e campaign taking place on a lost island off of the Sword Coast in Forgotten Realms.

I have a couple of players, and a couple of possibly interested DMs. First we are trying to solidify the DMs. We will have a quick meeting with potential DMs (soon) and make sure we're all on the same page so players going from game to game have consistency. So far really just looking at flanking from DMG, and a set experience & magic item system.

A basic overview can be found at the Obsidian Portal link below. With D&D Beyond coming out, if phase 3 comes out and that works I might go with that instead as I am not a paying member of Obsidian Portal yet for all of the features (forum / calendar). Voice will be a Discord server / Mumble (I own a 15 player lifetime mumble server), and is up to DM discretion. I would prefer all DMs to have FG Ultimate (heavily preferred) and the core content but it isn't required.

https://asfalorn.obsidianportal.com

If interested, please contact me for Discord information.

damned
March 21st, 2017, 15:00
Welcome bryk - if you describe the Westmarches concept in a little more detail it might help attract some of the newer players too :)

bryk
March 21st, 2017, 17:50
Here is a good link that goes over the concept pretty well.
Link (https://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/)

I'm looking to take advanage of the flexibiliy this offers to both DMs and Players. I, for instance like the spontaneous aspect of saying, "oh, I'm going to be free tonight and would like to DM." Yet maintain the persistent world feel that a regularly scheduled campaign offers, without the discontinuity that comes from Adventurer's League.

A player for instance can look for games when they know they are free without committing to the same time slot every week which is common with a regularly scheduled campaign.

Movah
March 21st, 2017, 17:57
This sounds interesting, and you can't beat the schedule!

I read this post on West Marches (link (https://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/)). Add me to the PC list.

March 21st, 2017, 21:18
I am interested but i am new to fg and havent been successful in finding a game yet. In other words you would have to explain how i can join your campaign

bryk
March 21st, 2017, 21:58
Sent Discord link.

Asa, do you have Fantasy Grounds Demo installed? Once on the Discord server you'll get the alias for my FG server. Have you watched a Youtube how to join a server? It's pretty straight forward. I don't mind helping in any way I can.

bryk
March 22nd, 2017, 21:51
Some players have been trickling in, still looking for more DMs. My first DM session is this Friday 3/24 at 6:30PM Eastern, 2 slots are still open.

First mission intro :

Mission will be titled "The Avariel and the Lost Dragonstone", it is an introductory diplomatic mission. Characters willing to undertake a mission where it is understood that diplomacy with other factions is vital to the efforts of building law & order through expanding civilization on Asfalorn.
This mission will involve a delicate matter involving a recent alliance with a local faction of Avariel (flying elves), they were vital in providing scouting and local information while the Seekers were establishing the protective barrier around Troy during its construction. As such they've been invited to join the newfound safe haven in exchange for their assistance. Unfortunately while providing this support and intel their precious Dragonstone, an artifact that they hold dear, has gone missing. They are unsure about their newfound alliance with the people of Troy as this matter hangs in the balance. You have been chosen to investigate. (Which is where this mission begins, speaking with the Seeker high council of Asfalorn [in Troy])

Berlos
March 23rd, 2017, 01:55
I'm interested, but fair warning I'm fairly new to both FG and D&D but I've played a couple of times. I really like the idea of the West Marches style...would we be able to continue to develop the same character from game to game?

damned
March 23rd, 2017, 02:12
I'm interested, but fair warning I'm fairly new to both FG and D&D but I've played a couple of times. I really like the idea of the West Marches style...would we be able to continue to develop the same character from game to game?

Your character can generally participate as often as you can assemble enough others to get the session running.

Berlos
March 23rd, 2017, 02:17
So gear and assets transfer over then? Like as we earn gold and get equipment are we able to maintain it from game to game?

bryk
March 23rd, 2017, 02:41
Yes, all gear, experience, gold is kept. In addition what you do has a lasting effect on the world, which is unlike Adventurer's League. So everything you do to help rebuild Asfalorn affects all other characters. You can help assist in setting up a new outpost, forge a new alliance with a faction you meet, and it then is available for everyone to benefit from.

Bravesteel
March 23rd, 2017, 17:51
I'm very interested in DMing for this. It's been quite some time since I have been behind the screen, so I would almost consider myself a noob again, but this has me very interested. $180-worth-of-Fantasy-Grounds-sitting-in-my-DriveThruRPG-cart-interested!

zedinar
March 23rd, 2017, 17:54
I'm interested as a general player and sometimes DM, question is whether we can get enough people interested in a GMT-6 game during the morning. I've been playing DnD since 2nd and have some experience with fantasy grounds.

bryk
March 23rd, 2017, 18:13
This idea got me to buy full FG 5e bundle. I also have a lot of one shot modules from DMG and DriveThru RPG. I do plan on getting Tome of Beasts and 5th Edition Foes as well, but trying to hold them off until summer discount(crosses fingers).

Zedinar, I imagine it might be possible, however I am an evenings EST DM/player and advertising it as a US game. I certainly don't mind you trying.

March 23rd, 2017, 19:07
Sent Discord link.

Asa, do you have Fantasy Grounds Demo installed? Once on the Discord server you'll get the alias for my FG server. Have you watched a Youtube how to join a server? It's pretty straight forward. I don't mind helping in any way I can.

I have the full version of FG, not the Ultimate. I'll look at the youtube video today. thanks.

bryk
March 23rd, 2017, 23:50
Did you join the Discord? That is currently our main form of communication.

bryk
March 27th, 2017, 17:39
We are currently up to 4 DMs and around 20 players, looking for 2 more DMs and 10ish more players. We've completed 2 missions so far. Don't worry there will be countless more level 1 missions, still plenty of time to join in and be part of this collective experience. Next posted mission currently is for tomorrow, Tuesday 3/28 at 7PM-10PM Eastern Daylight Time(utc - 4). It's a mystery/brawler for level 1s.

bryk
April 1st, 2017, 21:45
Still looking for a few more DMs, a few more players wouldn't hurt either, join in the collaborative world building experience that is capturing the heart of the nation!

Craig8888
April 1st, 2017, 22:24
Howdy,

I am interested in trying the West Marches style campaign as a player. Please add me if you are still looking.

Time Zone: EST

Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: I am looking for something on Sundays starting in early afternoon.

Game System Experience:I played D&D 5e for 1 1/2 years.

Fantasy Grounds Experience: I have played a couple campaigns in FG.

robertson91
April 2nd, 2017, 09:19
Really interested in joining as a player. In only free Sundays and Mondays due to work schedule. Will admit I've never played 5e before, stuck petty hard to 3.5e. Also never played on FG before, but I have a license.
Do we need to buy the 5e book pack on 5e, or can we use our own physical/digital copies of books for reference?
Edit: I'm also in the EST time zone

DimeLes
April 4th, 2017, 01:35
Wow...I'm reading through this as I'm ironically looking for a game to play either tonight or tomorrow. I generally have a weeknight or two free a week, but not necessarily the same ones consistently (BTW, I am in EST time zone).

This sounds amazing...Not only from a scheduling perspective, but the whole concept in general.

I've been playing and running 5e since it's release, but am relatively new to FG. I do own the ultimate license and most of the core material (just ran my first session of LotCS last week), but I was looking to play rather than DM...At least to start. Once I get my legs under me, perhaps I can help DM as well (assuming we're able to inter-mix like that).

Let me know your thoughts...Thanks!

bryk
April 5th, 2017, 03:10
Wow...I'm reading through this as I'm ironically looking for a game to play either tonight or tomorrow. I generally have a weeknight or two free a week, but not necessarily the same ones consistently (BTW, I am in EST time zone).

This sounds amazing...Not only from a scheduling perspective, but the whole concept in general.

I've been playing and running 5e since it's release, but am relatively new to FG. I do own the ultimate license and most of the core material (just ran my first session of LotCS last week), but I was looking to play rather than DM...At least to start. Once I get my legs under me, perhaps I can help DM as well (assuming we're able to inter-mix like that).

Let me know your thoughts...Thanks!

Didn't see your message until just now. I just PMed you.

We're still looking for a couple more DMs and some more players. It's going really well so far! :)

bryk
April 12th, 2017, 02:12
Another player switched to player/DM. Still looking for a few more... Players too!

bryk
April 12th, 2017, 11:27
Another player switched to player/DM. Still looking for a few more... Players too!

Black Hammer
April 12th, 2017, 17:40
I would be mildly interested in DMing for this, sent you a message.

spite
April 12th, 2017, 22:03
If you need someone to run things in other timezones (+12GMT here) then I can DM for you on this.
Ulti license + all 5e stuffs, couple years experience DMing various game systems.

bryk
April 12th, 2017, 22:44
I would be mildly interested in DMing for this, sent you a message.

Didn't receive your PM, but I sent you one back.

bryk
April 12th, 2017, 22:45
If you need someone to run things in other timezones (+12GMT here) then I can DM for you on this.
Ulti license + all 5e stuffs, couple years experience DMing various game systems.

What hours would you be free in your GMT +12? your weekday evenings?

spite
April 12th, 2017, 23:14
What hours would you be free in your GMT +12? your weekday evenings?

Yea my weekday evenings. My weekends are pretty much spoken for at this point.

Ike1947
April 12th, 2017, 23:31
I'm interested as a player, will get Discord. I posted on this thread a "LFG" post with my details. Will I need to DL more than the Standard D&D 5e package that comes with it? And what else might I need please?

(edit): I've downloaded and installed mumble.

bryk
April 12th, 2017, 23:54
Not sure what you mean by standard D&D 5e package, but just installing FG Demo is sufficient.

Ike1947
April 13th, 2017, 00:00
Okay. I have the Standard package, so if Demo is enough I'm good then. I'm going to watch tutorials on game interface, making a PC, etc.

Rod133
April 13th, 2017, 00:11
Hi! I am interested in joining :)

bryk
April 14th, 2017, 18:19
Hi! I am interested in joining :)

Pmed, still looking for more, especially DMs. Come enjoy flexibility of running games when you want to!

spite
April 14th, 2017, 20:46
Pmed, still looking for more, especially DMs. Come enjoy flexibility of running games when you want to!

Take it my timezone wasn't needed for dming? :P

bryk
April 15th, 2017, 16:12
Take it my timezone wasn't needed for dming? :P

You're certainly welcome to try. +12 is the same as a-12 right? Just a day ahead. So US West coast is -7 right now? What time in your evening would you be hosting? 4pm, or 9pm???? I think your 4pm would be 9pm US West coast the night before.

bryk
April 18th, 2017, 11:32
Still looking for more! :pirate:

bryk
April 25th, 2017, 02:32
DMs especially, still welcome!

GrimmStories
April 25th, 2017, 02:51
New to FG, but would like to play.

bryk
April 26th, 2017, 01:38
New to FG, but would like to play.

Pmed

Mon'do
July 6th, 2017, 00:17
Are you guys still recruiting players?

JerryRig
October 28th, 2017, 18:45
I'm interested in Co-DMing a pathfinder rules west marches style gaming program. I struggle to stay awake in a 5E game so cant help you guys as a player or Co-DM. But if anyone is interested in Pathfinder Westmarches send me a private message and we can get something going to give options to the community and keep growing our community.

Ahoggya
November 27th, 2017, 22:01
Curious, about being a DM. I've been running games in FG for 2 years now with 5e. Started by converting Kingmaker. But where do the adventures or locations discovered come from? Does the DM create something or the group? I understand the sandbox conecept but how can a GM decide to play tomorrow or the next night without knowing where the players are going? Do they decide to explore an area the GM creates what's needed? And if that's the case, then how does one GM have the same thing at that locate as another GM?

JerryRig
November 28th, 2017, 22:32
Here is a link to a good description of how it is run and managed. LINK (https://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/)