PDA

View Full Version : How to edit maps in purchased modules?

Nilram the Grey
March 20th, 2017, 13:30
I have several official 5e modules in FG. I would like to slightly modify the maps to clean the, up and add a few specific features to them. Normally I do this with an image editing program like Gimp. I can't seem to figure out how to do this though because the module is encrypted and I can't get to the image to even make a copy of it to include as a custom map/image like I do already for other things.

Zacchaeus
March 20th, 2017, 13:43
Indeed, the modules are encrypted and you cannot make copies of the images. All you can do (if you really, really need to update the maps) is find out whether the cartographer has them for sale on their website and buy them. You can then do what you want with them.

Andraax
March 20th, 2017, 13:58
Well, the other option is to screen-shot the maps in FG, then edit them and load them as new images.

LordEntrails
March 20th, 2017, 14:29
Note, both of these techniques (both of which are importing a new image) require you to recreate any pins/links and encounter placements.

Nilram the Grey
March 21st, 2017, 04:06
The screen shot doesn't work very well at all. I tried that. It is a bummer to have to buy things a third time. I own the hardback books and the FG version as well. I think this need to be rethought somehow. I should be able to customize the maps for my own use given I purchased them. The maps in the official FG version aren't really at the quality level I like to use when running an adventure. The player versions should be better suited for use in a VTT than they are in HODQ for example.

LordEntrails
March 21st, 2017, 04:41
In general, the included maps are optimized for use in FG. Though I don't know the specifics of the maps in HotDQ, using higher resolution maps can cause problems and instability on the player side.

You can always scan the images from your hard copy and edit those :( But, that's not ideal either.

The problem comes in that FG has to encrypt the content in order to comply with their licenses. If the maps weren't encrypted, then people would post and distribute them all over and that wouldn't be fair to the artist/cartographer. Maybe in the future FG will have the ability to edit images with tools comparable to Gimp or Photoshop, but until then whatever image editing tools are implemented (there aren't any yet *bummer*) people would have a legitimate desire for more functionality.

JohnD
March 21st, 2017, 06:11

Nilram the Grey
March 21st, 2017, 14:05
Lord Entrails,

I'm not looking to increase the resolution any. We already struggle with huge lags when I open maps in HotDQ. I think that is related to my hosting on a Mac via a virtual machine PC. I just want to do things like remove the maps name from the map and not show the tunnels crossing under tunnels that haven't been discovered yet. I also want to add a few custom features specific to my campaign and things I'm doing to tailor it to my parties interests.

It looks like my only option is to buy the maps a third time. I think I saw the artist selling them for around $2 each.

Nylanfs
March 21st, 2017, 15:25
You can already remove the map names now in the latest version.

Also when you make a new image, can't you drag the existing links to the new image?

Nylanfs
March 21st, 2017, 15:27
double post

LordEntrails
March 21st, 2017, 17:34
As Nylafs says, you can remove the map names, just turn on Image Identification in the Options panel of the campaign.

The crossing passages is a tough one to handle in any map. With things like secret doors and similar situations, I'm just careful as to what I unmask. I suspect at times my players have a feeling something is up, but they are really good about not meta-gaming so rarely do I worry about it. But, if it's important to you, then you will have to either scan or re-buy the maps :(

If it's just for the player maps, then you won't have to re-do the pins. What I do is to have two maps open, the GM one with all the pins, and then the current battle/player map (which for the way I play) doesn't need the pins.

Nilram the Grey
March 21st, 2017, 17:35
Nylanfs,

I'm not taking about the image name. I already use and enjoy that feature. I'm talking about the fact that many of the 5e official module maps have the map name on the actual map itself and even worse in areas of the map needed for game play.

Zacchaeus
March 21st, 2017, 17:35
There's a few maps around for HotDQ if that's the one you are looking for without you having to buy more maps. There's these (https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=28456&page=2&) (which are also on the FG forum here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22205-Maps-Hoard-of-the-Dragon-Queen)) and these (https://imgur.com/a/Qjszl). Note also that Jared's maps (https://theredepic.bigcartel.com/product/dragon-hatchery-digital-download) on his site (the cartographer that did them) are exactly the same maps as are in HotDQ - so include the tunnels of which you speak.

Nilram the Grey
March 21st, 2017, 17:39
Yep, I'm aware of all that. My only real option to fix this is to buy the maps again (a third time). I think it is reasonable to ask that FG enable editing of the maps in some manner. If I bought the maps directly only copyright (and ethics) is stopping me from sharing them. I don't see why it should be more rigid for FG related materials.

Trenloe
March 21st, 2017, 17:48
If I bought the maps directly only copyright (and ethics) is stopping me from sharing them. I don't see why it should be more rigid for FG related materials.
In this example we're talking about 2 different suppliers - Jared Blando (the cartographer) and Wizards of the Coast (the D&D 5E publisher). Wizards of the Coast have chosen to release all of their material on Fantasy Grounds in an encrypted format. That is the limiting factor here.

lostsanityreturned
March 21st, 2017, 20:56
If the maps weren't encrypted, then people would post and distribute them all over and that wouldn't be fair to the artist/cartographer.
Not disagreeing with you but I wanted to point out that this already happens the second they get released to the cartographer's site.

Although I won't complain about this happening, Mike Schley's store gives temporary download links for purchases. So if you buy anything from there MAKE SURE TO BACK IT UP... It is NOT fun to lose $70 of purchased maps by accident and find out you cannot just go back to where you purchased them from and download the files again.

I cannot remember how mr blando's store functioned.

Nilram the Grey
March 22nd, 2017, 03:14
Trenloe,

That is a good point. I deal with IP law in my career and can see the distinction. It is just a bummer to have to keep purchasing. I was thinking it would be nice if we could get the map layers working. I might be able to fix most of the issues with an overlay. How far away is that requested enhancement? Any before you say it, I have already reviewed and voted on the list of enhancements. :)

Trenloe
March 22nd, 2017, 04:29
I was thinking it would be nice if we could get the map layers working. I might be able to fix most of the issues with an overlay.
See if this helps any: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29 There are limitations/gotchas, so be sure to read the first couple of posts.