PDA

View Full Version : Complete SRD Ruleset?

Callum
December 10th, 2005, 21:50
Can anyone advise me what the value is of buying the Complete SRD Ruleset to go with Fantasy Grounds? Isn't the included material sufficient, along with a real PH, DMG & MM? Especially since the SRD is available free online...?

Craw
December 11th, 2005, 14:54
If you have the PH DMG and MM, you do not need the complete SRD. The free online version covers 99% of my own reference needs in game (not FG in game, but in a browser). That is not to say that the ones included in FG itself are that complete. The MM in the game is pretty good, though.

Snikle
December 11th, 2005, 18:09
I agree, while it would be nice to have everything 'in game' in FG, typically if I need something, I will surf over to the SRD website. This is especially true since I have the FireFox bookmarks plug-in thing installed and can reference specific things in under .0246 seconds.

richvalle
December 11th, 2005, 22:58
I like it. For $5 you get everything inside FG. Its nice when you are building something and want to create a NPC... all the mobs are there to jsut drag and drop. The information is better organized I think. All the equipment, charts, combat rules ect are there.

rv

festivus
December 12th, 2005, 16:58
It was worth the $5 investment to me. To have everything there inside FG has been really nice. We still refer to paper books for things from time to time, because it's easier to say "Look on page 93" than to describe how to find it in the SRD but still, it has a pile of information not found in the basic FG system.

Callum
December 13th, 2005, 10:05
Thanks for your replies! I've got one more question, though - would all the players need to have the add-on (for compatibility reasons), or is it something just the DM would buy?

richvalle
December 13th, 2005, 11:45
Well... currently only the DM buys it. Sense it is a rule-set each player will download it the first time they log in, essencially getting it for free.

Expect that to change somewhere down the road!

The ruleset is about 10 megs uncompressed so you might want to have your players login early the first time you load it up.

rv

Callum
December 13th, 2005, 11:54
Well... currently only the DM buys it. Sense it is a rule-set each player will download it the first time they log in, essencially getting it for free.

Expect that to change somewhere down the road!

The ruleset is about 10 megs uncompressed so you might want to have your players login early the first time you load it up.
Okay, so what happens if we start playing without it, then I decide to buy it and add it? Would the players then download it the next time they logged in?

richvalle
December 13th, 2005, 13:48
Yes. But you would have to create a new campaign using the srd rule set.

rv

Bumamgar
December 13th, 2005, 20:29
Not precisely.

You can simply edit the campaign.xml and change the ruleset name.