PDA

View Full Version : Our first real game with Fantasy Grounds

celestian
March 19th, 2017, 07:19
Bit of background first.

We're coming from Maptools where I wrote a AD&D Framework, spent about 2 years working on the code. It's pretty good for the confines of Maptools IMO. After running across FG when I found Tabletop Connect I was excited. FG+Tabletop Connect features sold me 200%.

So, I decided I need to figure out FG and if a AD&D ruleset existed that I'd be happy with. If not start (again!) writing something that'll work for what I want. It found out very quickly that FG has a easier style of engine to code for. A REAL programming language (lua, not just the macro language) without the hangups I had in Maptools (the 2-3 if/while limit really was a major **** block at times).

So, about a month and a half in I have working code, imported most of the Core Rules CD for books (also got monsters, spells, items and skills) for a decent base. The ruleset does need a lot more work to fine tune the AD&D game since I took the 5e ruleset for a base. That said it's turned out much better than I expected so soon.

With that I began creating my first module, well, not first, but where we were in Maptools. We're running Lost City of Barakus. I've had a few "wtf"s when trying to build a module when it came to why does it need to work like this but the data presented in the game is wonderful (mainly getting changes back to the module "source" campaign easily) but otherwise I found it a pretty easy experience. I tend to spend a shitload of time on prep for my games because I don't really watch much TV ;)

So tonight, the first game with FG and we spent probably a good hour and a half going through the system to figure it out. We've got a few "non-techie folks" so maybe a bit longer than some? I had input everyone's PCs and setup all the actions as best I could for them so it would be as simple as possible. The UI was a bit of a hurdle but... at least we didnt have Java issues (maptools, chronic problem for some people). After the initial "how to use FG" was done we began play and the players seemed to be picking things up very well. We would bump into issues (like the targeting options at the top of the map showing on one map but not another even tho both were not locked) but overall it was pretty smooth.

At the end of the night everyone was happy with how things went and at least half were really happy with the new system and jazzed to use the new system again.

It's looking like the investment into Ultimate version was worth it. Looking forward to years more and specially what FGU has coming.

damned
March 19th, 2017, 07:57
Huzzah! Well done celestian. Do share your ruleset when you are happy with it :) and in the meantime some screenshots would be cool!

Trenloe
March 19th, 2017, 18:15
Glad you got a good gaming session in. We always recommend that you start simple - don't try to use every piece of functionality FG has in your first session. Get the basics going and then add in more functionality/automation in future sessions.

We would bump into issues (like the targeting options at the top of the map showing on one map but not another even tho both were not locked)
The targeting buttons will only appear if there are tokens on the map.

damned
March 19th, 2017, 23:35
Glad you got a good gaming session in. We always recommend that you start simple - don't try to use every piece of functionality FG has in your first session. Get the basics going and then add in more functionality/automation in future sessions.

The targeting buttons will only appear if there are tokens on the map.

Which means that if you did have tokens on that map they were not dragged from the Combat Tracker.
Golden Rule: Add PCs to Combat Tracker. Add NPCs to Combat tracker. Drag tokens from Combat tracker to map.

Trenloe
March 19th, 2017, 23:42
Which means that if you did have tokens on that map they were not dragged from the Combat Tracker.
The buttons appear if any tokens are on the image - whether the token was dragged from the CT or not, it doesn't differentiate.

Golden Rule: Add PCs to Combat Tracker. Add NPCs to Combat tracker. Drag tokens from Combat tracker to map.
'tis indeed a golden rule.

celestian
March 19th, 2017, 23:47
Huzzah! Well done celestian. Do share your ruleset when you are happy with it :) and in the meantime some screenshots would be cool!

Will do. Still have some organization to do in the actions tab. I've added spell memorization but want to tweak how it's viewed in combat mode (only list memorized spells) since the tab was already pretty overwhelming. I also want to at least get the OSRIC spells/monsters in a module for it so everyone will have something to work with but I've got a list of other things to sort first.

Good to know. I probably moved players from the character selection the first time and the CT the second (the one that worked). As far as NPCs I use encounters and just clicked the arrow at the bottom to "add all" and also had placement points already.