PDA

View Full Version : .MOD and windows explorer

Mulligans
March 17th, 2017, 18:13
Anyone else having issues right clicking on .mod files in windows explorer (Windows 10)?
Every time i do, it crashes explorer. This only happens with this file type, and I have had it happen on 2 computers thus far.
Almost 90% certain this is a windows issue (and I submitted the issue to windows support forums), but just curious if anyone here also has the problem.

Mac

Trenloe
March 17th, 2017, 18:39
It happens to me a lot of the time. I think it's because Explorer assumes it's a .MOD audio file, which it isn't. I had thought it was my WinZIP Pro integration (as I've associated the.mod extension with WinZIP), but it doesn't happen anywhere else. Are you using WinZIP? Have you associated .mod with another application?

Talyn
March 17th, 2017, 18:48
Not here, and I have three Win10 PCs...

If I double-click it, sure it wants me to tell it which app to open it with but just for the right-click context menu? Nope.

Mulligans
March 17th, 2017, 19:17
It happens to me a lot of the time. I think it's because Explorer assumes it's a .MOD audio file, which it isn't. I had thought it was my WinZIP Pro integration (as I've associated the.mod extension with WinZIP), but it doesn't happen anywhere else. Are you using WinZIP? Have you associated .mod with another application?

Yah Tren, it was associated with windows Movies and TV app, but I thought I had disassociated it last night. But maybe I was unsuccessful, my guess is there is some lingering association in the registry. I''ll try again when I get home, thanks!

damned
March 18th, 2017, 01:42
Right click on your \modules folder and choose Properties -> Customise and set it to General Items.

Mulligans
March 18th, 2017, 14:02
Right click on your \modules folder and choose Properties -> Customise and set it to General Items.
That doesn't work for me Damned, but thanks.

I found out the culprit for this odd behavior is windows UPDATE KB4013429, uninstalling it allowed me to manipulate the .mod files i needed to. Obviously a bug in the update, here is the link to the Microsoft forums where i posted the issue, if anyone is interested:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-explorer-crashing-on-mod-files/9236dc5e-258b-4f7a-8746-5bee88216577?msgId=a32b0c1c-bcd8-4c65-ad89-2befeec3be81

Thanks for all your helps guys, cheers.

Samarex
April 1st, 2017, 02:13
That doesn't work for me Damned, but thanks.

I found out the culprit for this odd behavior is windows UPDATE KB4013429, uninstalling it allowed me to manipulate the .mod files i needed to. Obviously a bug in the update, here is the link to the Microsoft forums where i posted the issue, if anyone is interested:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-explorer-crashing-on-mod-files/9236dc5e-258b-4f7a-8746-5bee88216577?msgId=a32b0c1c-bcd8-4c65-ad89-2befeec3be81

Thanks for all your helps guys, cheers.

Thanks Mulligans, I removed the update and the crashing stopped........ Just not sure why mine didnt start till Last night.

Mulligans
April 1st, 2017, 14:21
Thanks Mulligans, I removed the update and the crashing stopped........ Just not sure why mine didnt start till Last night.

Hey Sam. Just an update to this thread for you and others. Windows (at least for me, and several others on the windows forums) has fixed this problem with update KB4013429. The fix is included in update KB4015438. So if you fully update Windows 10, you should be good, and no longer have any issues with .mod files. Hopes that works for you, cheers.