PDA

View Full Version : How to Make a 5e Adventure for Sale on Fantasy Grounds

L. R. Ballard
March 16th, 2017, 04:45
Greetings:

I am writing with questions that have to do with converting an adventure module to sell on Fantasy Grounds. I know that the process requires official contact with the developer, and I see a lot of tutorials to help with the process. But I have some basic questions about where and how one starts, to see if development is feasible for me.

The adventure module I'm writing is 32 pages and has text and maps. It uses the 5e ruleset with no variations. The module contains several NPCs made specifically for the adventure, though the NPCs use the standard classes from the PHB. The adventure introduces some custom-made magic items.

How much of the "conversion" process involves writing code specific to the adventure if one seeks to have the adventure fully automated for use with FG's tools? Is it possible for me to start working from the interface that a GM uses to add text, maps, and other assets when preparing a regular FG session?

Best,
LRB

LordEntrails
March 16th, 2017, 05:40
You can do most module conversions just by using the regular interface. If you want to include pre-generated characters, custom classes, or backgrounds then you will want to do stuff with another tool (at least in part) or xml coding.

If you want to release a conversion, the first thing you need is permission from the copyright holder of the adventure. Assuming you have that, you have three options for distribution;
- contact SmiteWorks about distribution on their store, [email protected] (usually they only work with other companies)
- 5E adventures can be released through the DMsGuild.com (this gives you access to more than just the SRD/OGL material)
- distribute through third parties (this method you will need to comply with the 5E OGL/SRD)

L. R. Ballard
March 16th, 2017, 06:09
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably buy a copy of Fantasy Grounds. Is the standard version sufficient for accessing all the tools of the regular interface and doing xml coding? Why does one need to do xml coding for a pre-generated NPC? Wouldn't the creation interface native to FG suffice for entering data and saving the character?

By "conversion," I mean the process of preparing an adventure for Fantasy Grounds. I won't be converting a preexisting module; the adventure is one I'm writing, and I have my permission.:)

If I publish the adventure, it will be OGL, and I'll Kickstart it. DMs Guild is neat, but it limits one's ability to Kickstart an adventure. Before Kickstarting, I'll likely start a company by hiring a law firm like Morrison/Lee, to walk me through starting a business.

damned
March 16th, 2017, 07:29
There are two ways to include pre-gens - you can export them one by one and the GM will import them one by one (zero coding required by you, little more effort by the GM required) or you can include them in the Library module itself with a nifty + sign to add them to the available characters but you will need to do a small amount of XML encoding.
You can create/convert your adventure/module with the standard version.

Trenloe
March 16th, 2017, 15:30
There are two ways to include pre-gens - you can export them one by one and the GM will import them one by one...
You can export them all in one file, and so do a one time import as well. Use /exportchar in the chat window to save all PCs in the campaign to an XML file.

L. R. Ballard
March 16th, 2017, 16:10
There are two ways to include pre-gens - you can export them one by one and the GM will import them one by one (zero coding required by you, little more effort by the GM required) or you can include them in the Library module itself with a nifty + sign to add them to the available characters but you will need to do a small amount of XML encoding.
You can create/convert your adventure/module with the standard version.

Thanks. I bought the standard version. I built a character using the Character Management utility, saved the character as an XML file on my Desktop, then imported the character to a campaign I began to create. Is that process similar to what a GM would have to do, and, if so, where would the file be saved in an adventure intended for sale?

L. R. Ballard
March 16th, 2017, 16:11
You can export them all in one file, and so do a one time import as well. Use /exportchar in the chat window to save all PCs in the campaign to an XML file.

Thanks. I now own the standard version. I created two PCs and will try exporting them all in one file.

Zacchaeus
March 16th, 2017, 21:55
Don't create characters in the character manager. Create them in the normal FG interface. Exported characters from there go wherever you want then to go.

L. R. Ballard
March 16th, 2017, 23:04
Don't create characters in the character manager. Create them in the normal FG interface. Exported characters from there go wherever you want then to go.

I saw a video from FG that used a roll tab in the character manager to generate characters using various preset rolling methods. I couldn't find the roll tab in the normal interface, so I tried out the character manager. But I prefer assigning stats., particularly to prominent characters, so I'll be using the normal FG interface from now on.

Myrdin Potter
March 17th, 2017, 17:40
I can tell you from personal experience, the best process is to reach out to the publisher and see if they are interested (and confirm that they are not already doing something ). If the answer is yes, connect them and Smiteworks and let Smiteworks work out the legal arrangement. You also will need to register as a developer with Smiteworks and sign their legal agreement.

I would, it worry too much about it until you get a good start on the conversion.

I learned from scratch and was able to use the in game tools and make a module good enough to be in the store. I know, based on experienced developers, that if you want the absolute best result and access to all the reference manual features, you will need to learn for XML mark-up.

L. R. Ballard
March 18th, 2017, 00:41
I can tell you from personal experience, the best process is to reach out to the publisher and see if they are interested (and confirm that they are not already doing something ). If the answer is yes, connect them and Smiteworks and let Smiteworks work out the legal arrangement. You also will need to register as a developer with Smiteworks and sign their legal agreement.

Thanks. I'm having a lot of fun making encounters, using the Combat Tracker, and learning how everything works. Who is referred to as "the publisher" to whom one would reach out?

I think I may be using the term "convert" or "conversion" incorrectly. I'm writing my own adventure, not converting a previously published adventure from another author for use on FG.

I would, it worry too much about it until you get a good start on the conversion.

So far, I've written 11,000 words of an adventure. FG is helping me to create and playtest encounters for it. I'll then add the encounters to the electronic copy of the adventure, which I'm writing in Microsoft Word. But I'm waiting until I get my preordered copy of Tales from the Yawning Portal to see how an official 5e adventure release introduces stats and the like. I don't want to waste time putting stats into the MS Word copy of the adventure if 5e uses a shorthand that refers to the sourcebooks.

Myrdin Potter
March 18th, 2017, 00:46
Then your path is even easier.

Register at www.dmsguild.com.

That is generally the best place to publish your own adventures and they have a deal with Fantasy Grounds. Best for adventures set in Forgotton Realms or generic that you can place there.

Allows you to use the full WoTC ruleset and not worry about the open gaming license (OGL which basically restricts you to that is in the SRD).

L. R. Ballard
March 18th, 2017, 00:51
Then your path is even easier.

Register at www.dmsguild.com.

That is generally the best place to publish your own adventures and they have a deal with Fantasy Grounds. Best for adventures set in Forgotton Realms or generic that you can place there.

Allows you to use the full WoTC ruleset and not worry about the open gaming license (OGL which basically restricts you to that is in the SRD).

What if I wanted to convert a Forgotten Realms module into 5e for use on FG? Would I need to reach out to WotC?

Myrdin Potter
March 18th, 2017, 00:53
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33525-5e-adventure-creation-learning-by-doing-questions

This is an example of how I learned. Lord Entrails wrote an excellent, semi-crowd sources primer around the time I started my thread. There are other posts in that sub-forum that are quite good and information packed.

You are doing what I think is best - trying to do it yourself and asking questions. This is a very friendly place, ask away.

Myrdin Potter
March 18th, 2017, 01:05
What if I wanted to convert a Forgotten Realms module into 5e for use on FG? Would I need to reach out to WotC?

Do you mean an older, existing module?

The actual 5e ones, Smiteworks has the license and they do it internally (they actually use senior community developers that are not actual employees but basically internally).

Older ones, DMs Guild allows conversions but you really cannot resuse most of what is there. At best you can present a framework.

If you mean write your own module in forgotton realms, then just follow the instructions at www.dmsguild.com. Smiteworks has a deal with them and you can sell FG conversions there as well.

L. R. Ballard
March 18th, 2017, 01:07
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33525-5e-adventure-creation-learning-by-doing-questions

This is an example of how I learned. Lord Entrails wrote an excellent, semi-crowd sources primer around the time I started my thread. There are other posts in that sub-forum that are quite good and information packed.

Thanks. I'll read the thread, research, and ask questions if I have any.

You are doing what I think is best - trying to do it yourself and asking questions. This is a very friendly place, ask away.

Cool, thanks. I downloaded a demo copy of FG perhaps more than a decade ago. The utility has come a long way, especially the combat tracker. I'm having fun seeing all the things FG can do.

L. R. Ballard
March 18th, 2017, 01:14
Do you mean an older, existing module?

Older ones, DMs Guild allows conversions but you really cannot resuse most of what is there. At best you can present a framework.

Yes, I mean an older, existing module.

A framework? I'm guessing that it would be inappropriate simply to lay out an old FR module in 5e and sell it on DM's Guild.

LordEntrails
March 18th, 2017, 03:43
Yes, I mean an older, existing module.

A framework? I'm guessing that it would be inappropriate simply to lay out an old FR module in 5e and sell it on DM's Guild.

Correct. Read the DMsG FAQ, it talks about this. Basically you can re-envision old stuff, but you can't use the old artwork including maps. And you really shouldn't just be doing a conversion.

There is actually a group that is converting much of the old stuff (but not for FG). Their conversions require that you have the original module, and can then just use their publications to convert it to 5E. See https://classicmodulestoday.com/

L. R. Ballard
March 18th, 2017, 16:51
Correct. Read the DMsG FAQ, it talks about this. Basically you can re-envision old stuff, but you can't use the old artwork including maps. And you really shouldn't just be doing a conversion.

I read it. I also read the interview with Mike Mearls, in which he states, "Yes, you can convert older material," though his quote refers to NPCs, spells, and the like, not necessarily to the adventure text.

https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3161-A-Million-Answers-From-Mearls-Lindsay-About-DM-s-Guild-DDAL-and-the-OGL-(Compiled-AMA)#.WM0z9fkrKUk

That said, the forthcoming Yawning Portal release shows that WotC prefers to exercise its right to do word-for-word conversions, which makes perfect sense.

Besides, the original material I'm writing is pretty good, I think. It would be nice to have access to DM's Guild material, but I prefer to Kickstart the adventure(s) because I plan to have a generous art budget.

Douglas Sun recently Kickstarted an adventure for which he offered both an OGL version through Kickstarter and a Forgotten Realms version on DM's Guild.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/660432492/places-by-the-way-a-series-of-modules-for-dandd-5e

I can't speak to the quality of Sun's adventures, but the idea to do two versions is clever. Perhaps one could Kickstart an OGL version and afterward do a version for FG on DM's Guild. My initial concern is that people who backed the Kickstarter would be irritated that they didn't get access to the FG DM's Guild adventure.

Myrdin Potter
March 18th, 2017, 18:24
I can't speak to the quality of Sun's adventures, but the idea to do two versions is clever. Perhaps one could Kickstart an OGL version and afterward do a version for FG on DM's Guild. My initial concern is that people who backed the Kickstarter would be irritated that they didn't get access to the FG DM's Guild adventure.

Do yourself a favor. Release one or two smaller adventures on DMs Guild and then look st something that requires kickstarting. Otherwise you may struggle.

You can only sell FR adventures on DMs Guild and I think they do not allow sales on Kickstarter first for IP and revenue sharing reasons.

L. R. Ballard
March 18th, 2017, 18:29
Do yourself a favor. Release one or two smaller adventures on DMs Guild and then look st something that requires kickstarting. Otherwise you may struggle.

What would be the reason for the struggle?

You can only sell FR adventures on DMs Guild and I think they do not allow sales on Kickstarter first for IP and revenue sharing reasons.

I know about the DM's Guild limitations. That's why I wrote "afterward."

Do you think Douglas Sun broke a rule?

Myrdin Potter
March 18th, 2017, 18:35
I guess I can do a google search and determine if you are a many times already published module writer, but my comment is around building an audience and having work examples that potiential backers can see.

Day 1 pledging is important and if you have an already existing customer base that is easier.

L. R. Ballard
March 18th, 2017, 18:47
I guess I can do a google search and determine if you are a many times already published module writer, but my comment is around building an audience and having work examples that potiential backers can see.

Day 1 pledging is important and if you have an already existing customer base that is easier.

You won't find any published adventure modules, though I have a doctorate in philosophy from a top-thirty college in the US, teach at a tier-one university in the United States, have worked for many years in academic publishing, and have a roster of academic editing clients that includes Oxford University Press. The writing quality will be in evidence, and I plan to have folks playtest the adventures before Kickstarting them.

But I take your point--some adventure modules from first-time publishers struggle to earn more than $1,000 on a Kickstarter. I'm in no hurry. I act only after thoroughly deliberating on how to act wisely. This conversation certainly helps me to consider how to approach an adventure publishing venture correctly.

L. R. Ballard
March 22nd, 2017, 21:26
There is actually a group that is converting much of the old stuff (but not for FG). Their conversions require that you have the original module, and can then just use their publications to convert it to 5E. See https://classicmodulestoday.com/

I contacted Stan Shinn, who's coordinating Classic Modules Today. I'm converting FRE1 Shadowdale, FRE2 Tantras, and FRE3 Waterdeep.

Again, that makes sense. I followed up on your comment. I'll help Classic Modules Today convert the Avatar Trilogy to 5e for tabletop gaming. I'm read up a bit now, and I understand that Smiteworks has the license with WotC to do conversions of entire adventure modules of theirs for Fantasy Grounds. That arrangement makes perfect sense.

So, here's my question: FRE1 has dozens of NPCs. The adventure module doesn't give complete stat blocks for those NPCs, but I may develop some stats using tools and include those in my conversion. Let's say that the NPC has a few stats defined: a few ability scores, hit points, and so forth. Does Fantasy Grounds have tools that can help quickly generate NPCs that include some predefined stats?

LordEntrails
March 22nd, 2017, 22:22
So, here's my question: FRE1 has dozens of NPCs. The adventure module doesn't give complete stat blocks for those NPCs, but I may develop some stats using tools and include those in my conversion. Let's say that the NPC has a few stats defined: a few ability scores, hit points, and so forth. Does Fantasy Grounds have tools that can help quickly generate NPCs that include some predefined stats?
Well, using the OGL you can use any of the SRD creatures as templates. But I'm not really sure what you are looking/hoping for...

The NPCs will need all of the required 5E stats in order for the DM to use them properly, but their really isn't a required minimum set because you can use an NPC for a trap (which might only have a size and an action and no ability scores or attacks etc).

I don't know if Classic Modules has a guideline for conversions, for instance, the CR or difficulty or a creature in a previous edition may not be very close to the same in 5E, so do you want to use the same creature, or a creature of the desired level/CR?

Can you give us a better idea of what you have in mind?

Zacchaeus
March 22nd, 2017, 22:50
You don't need to include the full stat block for an NPC in an adventure module - unless it is a unique NPC not found in anything already published. For example you can just say in the text that the party enter a room and find 4 goblins there. The convention is that NPCs which the DM can find in the MM (or SRD) are emboldened. So the party enter a room and encounter 4 goblins.

If the NPC is based on an existing NPC but with a few changed stats then you would just note the changes in the text of the adventure. For example "Bob the Goblin uses the Goblin stats but his AC is 16 and his hit points are 12".

If the NPC is unique or is so departed from anything in the MM then you would need to provide the complete statistical block along with all the creature's traits, attacks, vulnerabilities, resistances etc. You can do this easily within Fantasy Grounds

L. R. Ballard
March 22nd, 2017, 23:11
Can you give us a better idea of what you have in mind?

Sure.

The adventure module that I'm converting introduces Tanlathyn. The text reads, "Tanlathyn is a CG 6th level ranger with 42 hp (ST 16: +1 on damage; CO 17)" (Greenwood 15-16). That's all the information given on his stats.

I bought a tool for use with 3rd edition called NPC Designer. The tool presented the user with a data entry field. The user could enter in some data using the interface's drop-down options or other cells (see image 1).

Image 1

Then the user clicked "Generate NPC." The tool instantly output a stat block (see image 2, lower left) that could then be pasted into some of the combat trackers or other tools available at the time, e.g., DMGenie.

Image 2

The tool allowed a GM to enter in select information and get an output complete with skills, random magical items, and a description.

Does Fantasy Grounds have a similar tool for quickly generating the minutiae of an NPC?

LordEntrails
March 22nd, 2017, 23:17
oooo....

No, not that I've heard of. How you go from here depends. If you think the NPC might be involved in combat, then you would need a full stat block. You might want to create a PC for the guy (since you can drag and drop etc).

One of the guys has posted level 1-20 characters for the various classes on the DMsGuild with FG modules. But I don't know the link. You might be able to just take the 6th level ranger and copy it etc.

Once you have a PC, you can then manually make a corresponding NPC for it, but I don't know of any automation for this either :(

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2017, 00:25
Yes, of course you are going to have to convert the NPCs to 5e as a first step. Even if you have Goblins they aren't necessarily going to be the same in 5e as they were in previous editions. In the example you give there's no real equivalent NPC type, so you'd need to delve into the original sourcebook I think to find out what a ranger was and then try to find something similar. Or look at it from the challenge rating of the adventure point of view and find a suitable NPC in that way.

L. R. Ballard
March 23rd, 2017, 18:43
I don't know if Classic Modules has a guideline for conversions, for instance, the CR or difficulty or a creature in a previous edition may not be very close to the same in 5E, so do you want to use the same creature, or a creature of the desired level/CR?

Classic Modules Today has conversion guidelines. Stan Shinn offers a copy of a conversion of "The Lost City" for free on DMs Guild. The conversion sets the minimum standards for CMT conversions.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/171848/Classic-Modules-Today-B4-The-Lost-City

The free conversion includes the source files so that people converting mods all have the same layout and categories.

Presently, the conversion seeks to offer an identical or similar 5e version of a given entity.

So, an exact match reads:

"Giant Centipede: Giant Centipede (MM 338, CR 0.5 (100XP))" ("Lost City 5e" 6).

A close match reads:

"Evil Cleric Darius: Treat as Mage (MM 347, CR 6 (2,300XP))" ("Lost City 5e" 6).

or with the instruction "Treat as," as in the following:

"Gecko, man-sized: Treat as Giant Lizard (MM 326, CR 0.25 (50 XP))" ("Lost City 5e" 6).

The conversions aim for simplicity, making recommendations but presenting complete stat blocks only for "Special Creatures" ("Lost City 5e" 7) or for monsters unique to the adventure.

L. R. Ballard
March 24th, 2017, 10:28
You don't need to include the full stat block for an NPC in an adventure module - unless it is a unique NPC not found in anything already published. For example you can just say in the text that the party enter a room and find 4 goblins there. The convention is that NPCs which the DM can find in the MM (or SRD) are emboldened. So the party enter a room and encounter 4 goblins.

If the NPC is based on an existing NPC but with a few changed stats then you would just note the changes in the text of the adventure. For example "Bob the Goblin uses the Goblin stats but his AC is 16 and his hit points are 12".

Thanks. The Classic Modules Today folks have set some standards for conversion, but those standards are continually evolving. On the CMT view, conversions don't require full stat blocks for all entities. That said, some conversions have started to add full stat blocks for a lot of NPCs for which an equivalent or similar reference may have sufficed.

If the NPC is unique or is so departed from anything in the MM then you would need to provide the complete statistical block along with all the creature's traits, attacks, vulnerabilities, resistances etc. You can do this easily within Fantasy Grounds

I share your opinion and intend to use FG for that very reason.

L. R. Ballard
March 24th, 2017, 10:34
Yes, of course you are going to have to convert the NPCs to 5e as a first step. Even if you have Goblins they aren't necessarily going to be the same in 5e as they were in previous editions. In the example you give there's no real equivalent NPC type, so you'd need to delve into the original sourcebook I think to find out what a ranger was and then try to find something similar. Or look at it from the challenge rating of the adventure point of view and find a suitable NPC in that way.

Precisely, so I have to access the original sourcebooks when someone or something doesn't match up. But here's the rub: the conversions will have to be done manually and without full automation, unless I'm missing an available extension for FG. I'm trying to shorten the time taken to convert entities by discovering automation in FG similar to the features in NPC Designer, as one example.

L. R. Ballard
March 26th, 2017, 15:02

Thanks. Please see below.

If you think the NPC might be involved in combat, then you would need a full stat block. You might want to create a PC for the guy (since you can drag and drop etc).

A time-saving hypothetical. But I'd like to reach the stage of development in which all NPCs have complete stat blocks and leave the decision up to the DM on how to use them.

Given that objective, I find that I'm gravitating to the PC icon rather than the NPC icon when making what D&D traditionally referred to as "NPCs." Are there best practices for creating NPCs on Fantasy Grounds? Take high-level NPCs like Elminister or Drizzt, for example. Is there a consensus opinion on whether it is more helpful for those stat blocks to appear in an NPC card or a PC card? Are there any limitations for creating high-level humanoid NPCs using the NPCs card?

L. R. Ballard
March 26th, 2017, 15:43
I wonder if SmiteWorks is in negotiations to have Goodman Games do FG versions.

https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3977-WotC-Goodman-Games-Partner-To-Reprint-Classic-Modules-for-5E#.WNfTRfkrKUl

Zacchaeus
March 26th, 2017, 18:11
If you are creating NPCs then create them as NPCs. You can create NPCs as PCs but then you'll need to somehow integrate them into your module and at present you can't do that from within FG. You'd need to do it in the XML.

L. R. Ballard
March 26th, 2017, 18:14
If you are creating NPCs then create them as NPCs. You can create NPCs as PCs but then you'll need to somehow integrate them into your module and at present you can't do that from within FG. You'd need to do it in the XML.

That makes sense. I know you're busy. Thanks for the quick reply. :D

Trenloe
March 26th, 2017, 18:15
Yeah, do them as NPCs if at all possible. If you do them as PCs you'll need to sort out how to import them, then remind the GM to hide them from the players, then remind the GM that they won't find this statblock in the normal place (nor can you link the PC sheet from an encounter entry, and can't link to a story entry until they're in the campaign itself), then remind the GM that the (N)PC actions aren't available directly in the combat tracker (they need to open the PC sheet), etc., etc..

I think using a PC sheet for your own campaign is fine (as long as you're aware of the above gotchas), but doing it for a public module is not a good idea.

L. R. Ballard
March 26th, 2017, 18:40
Yeah, do them as NPCs if at all possible. If you do them as PCs you'll need to sort out how to import them, then remind the GM to hide them from the players, then remind the GM that they won't find this statblock in the normal place (nor can you link the PC sheet from an encounter entry, and can't link to a story entry until they're in the campaign itself), then remind the GM that the (N)PC actions aren't available directly in the combat tracker (they need to open the PC sheet), etc., etc..

I think using a PC sheet for your own campaign is fine (as long as you're aware of the above gotchas), but doing it for a public module is not a good idea.

That's a lot of reminding to entrust to a forgetful old man! I'm glad I asked, and I'll now study the NPC stat card more closely. Like I said, thanks for the prompt replies! :D

LordEntrails
March 26th, 2017, 22:43
My suggestion wasn't well explained. What you might do, is build them as a PC, and then create an NPC with all the corresponding stats. This is really only if you want them built per the player rules (i.e. a character). In 5E this isn't something you need to do (i.e. build an NPC per the PC rules), but it's just if you want to do it that way (which character level wouldn't correspond to CR anyway, so...)

In the end, you will want them as an NPC, even if you created a PC to determine their abilities etc.

L. R. Ballard
March 26th, 2017, 23:18
This is really only if you want them built per the player rules (i.e. a character). In 5E this isn't something you need to do (i.e. build an NPC per the PC rules). . . .

I'm clearly missing something fundamental about how to build humanoid NPCs like Elminster in 5e if not according to the rules that govern building a PC in 5e.

In the end, you will want them as an NPC, even if you created a PC to determine their abilities etc.

I am still learning the 5e system; first drafts of NPCs as PCs would help me to build them according to what I take—apparently mistakenly—to be correctly.

Best of all, NPC builds would benefit from more of FG's automated features.

Once I get the swing of NPC creation, is creating stat blocks in a text file and parsing them into FG feasible? I've seen Jason Hibdon's video titled "5E @ PAR5E – Adventure Modules" and wonder if that method would save time.

Zacchaeus
March 26th, 2017, 23:32
There are three methods. Create in FG, use par5e or the alternative parser also linked in the par5e thread, or do it in XML. I'd suggest the first method until you know the basics of what you are doing. Parse can save time if you are copy/pasting from a source such as a PDF. However if you are making it up or using a paper source then it won't save you any time since you'll be typing everything in anyway.

L. R. Ballard
March 26th, 2017, 23:45
There are three methods. Create in FG, use par5e or the alternative parser also linked in the par5e thread, or do it in XML. I'd suggest the first method until you know the basics of what you are doing. Parse can save time if you are copy/pasting from a source such as a PDF. However if you are making it up or using a paper source then it won't save you any time since you'll be typing everything in anyway.

That advice sounds prudent. I'll build the NPCs in FG and thereby learn more about both 5e and FG.

Is it possible to take material created in FG, parse it back into text format, and paste it into a Word document? If so, I have excellent editing and proofing tools that catch a lot of errors that way--when the time comes.

Zacchaeus
March 26th, 2017, 23:53
I really don't know. The output is XML so if something can take that and make it text then yes.

L. R. Ballard
March 27th, 2017, 00:03
I really don't know. The output is XML so if something can take that and make it text then yes.

Fair enough. The drag-and-drop features of FG and automated tables already make NPC creation far simpler for me than my flipping through books.

LordEntrails
March 27th, 2017, 02:22
As Zachaeus says, there are several ways to enter the NPC's into FG. I'll leave that aspect to Z and others to answer. Myself, I just input them manually through the FG interface (maybe with some cut and paste from Notepad++).

As to how you define/detail an NPC. In prior editions of D&D we generally created NPC's the same way we created PC's. Maybe using some weaker/special NPC classes (i.e. remember warrior/soldier class as a weaker fighter?) But, in 5E, there is nothing that says that an NPC actually has to obey the rules of character creation.

So for instance, you might envision Gandalf. A powerful wizard who is proficient with a sword. Rather than say he's a 15 level wizard, 3 level fighter. You could just say he has 20d8 hit dice, casts as a 16th level caster with intelligence as his spellcasting ability, has such and such spells and so many spell slots of each level, is proficient with all swords, etc. None of that has to correspond with the same values as PC would have. Maybe his proficiency is higher, maybe he has fewer 3rd level spell slots. Maybe he knows some warlock and druid spells.

If you can put up with his rambling and over the top attitude, the Angry GM has a good set of articles about monster creation. I don't agree with all of it, but you are smart and thoughtful and can take what you want from it; https://theangrygm.com/monster-building-101-its-alive-its-alive/

L. R. Ballard
March 27th, 2017, 02:57
So for instance, you might envision Gandalf. A powerful wizard who is proficient with a sword. Rather than say he's a 15 level wizard, 3 level fighter. You could just say he has 20d8 hit dice, casts as a 16th level caster with intelligence as his spellcasting ability, has such and such spells and so many spell slots of each level, is proficient with all swords, etc. None of that has to correspond with the same values as PC would have. Maybe his proficiency is higher, maybe he has fewer 3rd level spell slots. Maybe he knows some warlock and druid spells.[/url]

If Gandalf wields the sword Glamdring and has 30,000gp, does one make an item named Glamdring, a parcel with the gold, and place it where the DM associates those entries with Gandalf? Or can the items appear with automation in the NPC stat card?

LordEntrails
March 27th, 2017, 03:24
NPC's can't have items. You have to just include them in the stats of the appropriate actions. Then, in the story entry you have for Gandalf, you include both a link to the NPc record and the parcel (and the parcel has both the gold and the link to the Glamdring item record.)

Trenloe
March 27th, 2017, 04:04
Then, in the story entry you have for Gandalf, you include both a link to the NPc record and the parcel (and the parcel has both the gold and the link to the Glamdring item record.)
I usually put the link to treasure parcels for an individual NPC in the "Other" tab as well. Or sometimes only in the Other tab, depending on the NPC.

L. R. Ballard
March 27th, 2017, 23:33
NPC's can't have items. You have to just include them in the stats of the appropriate actions. Then, in the story entry you have for Gandalf, you include both a link to the NPc record and the parcel (and the parcel has both the gold and the link to the Glamdring item record.)

So, a friendly PC casts a buff on Gandalf that increases his attack and damage bonuses with Glamdring. The buff spell is available in one of the FG sources. Does the combat tracker increase the attack and damage bonuses to Glamdring automatically?

L. R. Ballard
March 27th, 2017, 23:43
I usually put the link to treasure parcels for an individual NPC in the "Other" tab as well. Or sometimes only in the Other tab, depending on the NPC.

That's a good idea, probably better than having the links be location based unless the NPC neither carries nor equips the items or treasure.

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2017, 23:45
So, a friendly PC casts a buff on Gandalf that increases his attack and damage bonuses with Glamdring. The buff spell is available in one of the FG sources. Does the combat tracker increase the attack and damage bonuses to Glamdring automatically?
This is where a crash course on effects might come in handy :D

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

L. R. Ballard
March 28th, 2017, 01:03
This is where a crash course on effects might come in handy :D

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

Fantastic! I think my childlike enthusiasm to ask a question got the better of my scholar's restraint there. :)

L. R. Ballard
April 6th, 2017, 02:25
For FG adventures published on DMs Guild, what are the best solutions for associating tokens with NPCs that do not already exist in official products? In other words, I infer that one can use a guard token for a guard, but what about a token for a named NPC who is unique to the adventure?

JohnD
April 6th, 2017, 05:19
For FG adventures published on DMs Guild, what are the best solutions for associating tokens with NPCs that do not already exist in official products? In other words, I infer that one can use a guard token for a guard, but what about a token for a named NPC who is unique to the adventure?

There is a Letter Tokens module that I believe comes with FG. Just assign a letter corresponding to the name of the NPC (i.e. G for Guard) and if the DM wants to change it later to something else they can.

damned
April 6th, 2017, 05:48
I personally think that the letter tokens are fine for mooks but your BBEGs should have unique tokens...

JohnD
April 6th, 2017, 07:45
I personally think that the letter tokens are fine for mooks but your BBEGs should have unique tokens...

Very true. I would also say from the standpoint of a customer, new/unique/good tokens make the product stand out more (although by no means a substitute for a good adventure).

I would add, when providing screenshots of your adventure, it is a good idea to show a small sampling of your images/maps in my opinion. I know the thought is that this might give stuff away but I personally always wonder if the product is going to have decent maps or something unusable.

L. R. Ballard
April 6th, 2017, 15:40
There is a Letter Tokens module that I believe comes with FG. Just assign a letter corresponding to the name of the NPC (i.e. G for Guard) and if the DM wants to change it later to something else they can.

Thanks. I’ll assign placeholder tokens for now.

I agree. I prefer to have custom token art for BBEGs.

A layout will go a long way toward persuading people to fund either a Kickstarter or a Patreon specific to token art. I’ll brainstorm funding custom tokens after getting a layout together.

Who is a respected token artist for FG? Devin Knight comes to mind, but do FG users think a particular artist’s style or perspective works especially well for FG?

Very true. I would also say from the standpoint of a customer, new/unique/good tokens make the product stand out more (although by no means a substitute for a good adventure).

I wrote a proposal to DMs Guild that presented four hypotheticals and got approval for a classic module conversion based on the proposal. I’d like to lay out an all-time top-40 adventure after touching base with Stan at Classic Modules Today. I want to stay on good terms with those fellas and not step on any toes.

I would add, when providing screenshots of your adventure, it is a good idea to show a small sampling of your images/maps in my opinion. I know the thought is that this might give stuff away but I personally always wonder if the product is going to have decent maps or something unusable.

How about a beta playtest? I see that Dave Noonan, Rich Baker, and Bill Slavicsek released an Alternity beta on drivethrurpg.com for free.

https://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?528022-Take-Your-First-Look-At-The-Upcoming-ALTERNITY-RPG!

Something similar may be advisable for an FG adventure layout. A preview of images and maps then?

damned
April 6th, 2017, 15:53
Devin Knight, Raymond Gaustadnes, Taliz Silverpaws, Darkwoulfe.