PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand Savage Worlds mechanics

Niles
March 16th, 2017, 03:31
I'm new to Savage Worlds and Deadlands. I am reading through the Player's Handbook and I understand how to assign points for traits and skills. What I don't understand is what number I'm looking for to determine success or what I'm rolling against. I'm used to D&D DC checks and comparing the number rolled to another number. I'm not quite sure how combat works either. Can anyone shed some light? Is there a tutorial for SW?

Talyn
March 16th, 2017, 03:44
99% of the time your Target Number is 4. Modifiers may apply, per the GM, per Edges, and so forth, just like any other RPG.

If you're doing melee combat, your TN is the opponent's Parry. Tricks and other Opposed Rolls both of you roll the appropriate attribute die, higher roll wins.

The combat chapter of the Player's Guide has an expanded combat explanation which should get you through the basics.

The main thing is that Savage Worlds isn't a "battle of attrition" like D&D and its various offshoots where, say, you're just standing there hitting each other until the first combatant runs out of hit points.

There are several YouTube tutorials and videos for doing Savage Worlds in Fantasy Grounds...

Topdecker
March 16th, 2017, 04:21
Check in C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds\docs

Some of the documentation here will answer questions that you have not yet asked. "Savage Worlds 4 Supplement-1.2.pdf" is especially useful.

When you can, you should get the Adventure Deck. It adds a lot to the game and gives the players fun ways to stay alive :)

Niles
March 16th, 2017, 04:27
Thanks Topdecker and Talyn. I will check those out!

dragonheels
March 16th, 2017, 16:12
Check in C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds\docs

Some of the documentation here will answer questions that you have not yet asked. "Savage Worlds 4 Supplement-1.2.pdf" is especially useful.

When you can, you should get the Adventure Deck. It adds a lot to the game and gives the players fun ways to stay alive :)

Ohhh, is the deck still up to date ? I thought it was not. Can all the cards be used, or is it according to the ruleset (deadlands or rippers or others) ?

WansumBeats
March 29th, 2017, 19:42
If you have time or interest, Mask_of_Winter, myself and a couple others have a podcast called "The Wild Die" you can skim through there and listen to game mechanics and stuff that is new in savage worlds. Also check out GM hangouts on youtube, they discuss mainly mechanics of how things work and why things work.

Being a 35 year d&d geek and recent convert to SW, I cant tell you how much i wish i would have found this system earlier.

This system is a Game Masters dream. The rules are crunchy enough that strategic combat can still be important, but light enough that you dont get bogged down with a million spells, weapons or armor... and you can take this system anywhere from western to space.

Stick it out, learn the rules and you'll appreciate the simplicity of the system.

Also to your question.

The target number your trying to hit is 4. The only time it changes is when characters are in melee combat and then your target number is the players parry.
Target Number 4 can be modified by, LIGHT CONDITIONS + or - for different conditions, SIZE of the target, small is -2 and tiny or head shots are -4, but you can find the rules in the book... the idea being that the TN of 4 doesnt change, just the modifiers to achieve it can change difficulty.

Also some advice on SOAK.... I find this to be the most confusing thing or the thing people have the hardest time with.

Combat Starts with dealing cards for initiative. Aces high down to 2 and If you get 2 players that have same face card. suits are REVERSE alphabetical order. so Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs last.

Highest card goes first... in SW you can move 6" and take an action... that action can include multiple attacks... example you can throw a knife/rock/grenade/grandma or kick sand (THROWING), shoot a weapon (anything from a sling shot to a rocket launcher is SHOOTING) and cast a spell (SPELLCASTING SKILL), you get a -2 for two actions and -4 for 3 actions so have your players declare what they are going to do ahead of time so you can apply the modifiers appropriately.

ROLL TO HIT. ON A SUCCESSFUL HIT ( STOP NARRATING COMBAT RIGHT HERE, RESOLVE ALL MECHANICS AND PICK UP NARRATION AFTER RESOLVING)

this is where soak is going to mess you up...

1) roll damage - you hit my bad guy for 5 wounds and i proclaim a devastating blow.
2) i have bennies to soak wounds and decide to use them and soak 3 wounds... now i narrate a not so devastating blow and everyone is looking at me like wtf? you just said.....
3) i soak again trying for a better roll and this time i remove all 5 wounds... now i narrate that no wounds were taken and it was a glancing blow that just nicked my skin.... (you see the problem here right)
4) with all wounds resolved we pick up combat with a guy that just had his head cut off... no, only wound... no, no wounds at all.

SO my advice is that when you HIT, you land a blow and damage is to be rolled.... you stop narrating.

Wansum shoots his arrow into the chest of the vial beast (rolls 6 and hits) narration stops
GM asks for damage roll.... wansum rolls 12 on toughness of 8, thats shaken and 1 wound.
GM soaks the wound and isnt shaken. (wansum isnt happy but the same rules apply to him when he gets smashed by creature)
now as rolls have all been resolved, i as a GM havent said anything past the arrow strikes the monster.
I pick up narration at this point.

The arrow strikes the monster, at first you think the arrow will gain purchase in the vial creatures chest but it manages to step aside and the arrow only glances off the creature leaving a small blood trail.

ect ect..

this is getting a little long winded.. anyways hope that gives you a better understanding of how to narrate soaks

Trenloe
March 29th, 2017, 21:06
And sign up for some Savage Worlds games at FG Con 10!

Talyn
March 29th, 2017, 21:18
And sign up for some Savage Worlds games at FG Con 10!

+1000 ;)

WansumBeats
April 7th, 2017, 20:40
Niles I'm running a savage worlds starsky and hutch game Saturday April 8 at 7am Pacific time. You are welcome to come and play... Don't worry about your skill level!

Niles
April 7th, 2017, 21:53
I don't mind long winded, WansumBeats! Thanks for taking the time to write out all those guidelines. Thanks too for the invite. I'm DMing this Saturday, but would you mind if I got hold of you at a later date to perhaps sit in? It does interest me, and I'd love to learn first hand this rule system. I'm a long time D&D veteran too, but I've always loved simple rulesets. I feel story trumps mechanics and rules any day. Do you play most Saturdays?

Hendell
April 7th, 2017, 22:40
I do not think you will be disappointed with savage worlds.

WansumBeats
April 7th, 2017, 23:29
Niles, I play randomly online throughout the week... depends on whats going on with the NERDS INTERNATIONAL group. I do however play every Sunday from noon to three at my local gaming store, which I realize does you no good. But heres what I suggest. Head over to GOOGLE+ on the interwebs and join the +Nerds International page. You'll find myself and Mask_of_Winter (Eric Lamoureux) plus a whole herd of other savages that will help you out.

You'll find out when we play, whos doing what and how to join up.

I was a 35 year D&D'er GM before finding Savage Worlds and switching over. The system is a thing of beauty, makes like so much easier and unlike attrition systems (whittling down hit points) theres always that OH MY GOD I COULD DIE feeling. Utterly fantastic man...

You can find me as Gary McCallum on the G+

WansumBeats
April 7th, 2017, 23:30
Will gladly answer your questions, set up a game, show you how stuff works... whatever you like ;)

Niles
April 8th, 2017, 01:39
Niles, I play randomly online throughout the week... depends on whats going on with the NERDS INTERNATIONAL group. I do however play every Sunday from noon to three at my local gaming store, which I realize does you no good. But heres what I suggest. Head over to GOOGLE+ on the interwebs and join the +Nerds International page. You'll find myself and Mask_of_Winter (Eric Lamoureux) plus a whole herd of other savages that will help you out.

You'll find out when we play, whos doing what and how to join up.

I was a 35 year D&D'er GM before finding Savage Worlds and switching over. The system is a thing of beauty, makes like so much easier and unlike attrition systems (whittling down hit points) theres always that OH MY GOD I COULD DIE feeling. Utterly fantastic man...

You can find me as Gary McCallum on the G+

Sounds like my group of people! I will join the group and get in touch.