PDA

View Full Version : Assigning tokens to NPC Entrys

Shikkaka
March 15th, 2017, 17:34
Hi All,

Total newb here and still running through the manual and tutorials, but I am trying to get something set up for my group this weekend. We are running Princes of the Apocalypse so I purchased that module and am having a couple issues I want to get nailed down by Sunday. Any help would be appreciated.

First: A lot of the assigned tokens don't show up for certain NPCs in the provided encounters (Howling Hatred Initiates, Skyweavers) despite being assigned letter tokens in their NPC entries. This is mostly a minor inconvenience since I can pretty rapidly assign tokens to the NPCs in the encounter, but it would be nice to get it fixed since I can't auto place the encounter until they get tokens.

Second: I want to change some of the NPCs that have letter tokens but the NPC entries are permanently locked. I found an old forum post differentiating between a Story and a Campaign NPC list, but wasn't able to find any list of NPCs where I could edit the token. All the links from the provided encounters point to the read-only entries.

Thanks in advance for the help. Looking at the older posts this seems like a great community.

Shik

JohnD
March 15th, 2017, 18:05
If all you want to do is assign a different token you can drag one to the instance once you have added to the CT. Down side is this only replaces for that specific one. If you want to update the stock NPCs you drag it in the NPC list and then open the lock and modify the copy... issue here is all your encounters still point to the stock NPCs so you have to update those as well.

Shikkaka
March 15th, 2017, 18:33
Ok, that is kind of what I was assuming. And the stock NPCs that came with the module are permanently read-only?

Also, How do I access the 'NPC list'? Thus far, I have only seen the NPC button which displays what I am assuming are the 'Stock NPCs' and are read-only.

Moon Wizard
March 15th, 2017, 18:38
The campaign list shows both the stock NPCs as well as the adventure NPCs. If you open an NPC record, and it has a red lock icon; then it is a read-only record; otherwise, you can unlock in edit. Even for stock NPCs, you can create a copy by dragging the link icon (small shield or head in upper left corner of record) onto the NPC list, and then edit that copy.

The concept is that rulebook/setting records (such as NPCs) are read-only, so that you always have the base records to reference as a rulebook. For adventures, the records should be editable, including the NPC records; to allow you to customize your adventures. Since this has only been enforced strongly for material created in the last 18 months, there may be some variation in content created before that time. All of the 5E material should reflect this approach.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
March 15th, 2017, 21:35
In short, you should be able to click the lock icon in the upper right of the NPC record. Once you do that you can then edit the NPC. For your case, once unlocked, just drag the desired token to the NPC token location.

You may then need to update any encounters that have been previously created (again, just unlock them) and put the new token on the token icon to the left of the NPC line (not the token instance underneath the row).

Zacchaeus
March 15th, 2017, 22:44
Hi All,
First: A lot of the assigned tokens don't show up for certain NPCs in the provided encounters (Howling Hatred Initiates, Skyweavers) despite being assigned letter tokens in their NPC entries. This is mostly a minor inconvenience since I can pretty rapidly assign tokens to the NPCs in the encounter, but it would be nice to get it fixed since I can't auto place the encounter until they get tokens.

Shik

This should not be happening; I'll investigate and add it to the list for fixing. If you see any other errors please report them in the 5e bugs thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34656-5e-Bug-Reports-(Continued))

Shikkaka
March 15th, 2017, 22:55
I did think it was weird but it also seemed much more likely I was doing something wrong than it being a bug.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I will try and locate the different groups of NPCs and edit the ones I can. From there it sounds like I just need to replace them in the encounters.

LordEntrails
March 15th, 2017, 23:19
I did think it was weird but it also seemed much more likely I was doing something wrong than it being a bug.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I will try and locate the different groups of NPCs and edit the ones I can. From there it sounds like I just need to replace them in the encounters.
Try editing them in the encounter first :) If it works, that's the quickest way to replace the token.