PDA

View Full Version : NPC Designer

kalmarjan
December 9th, 2005, 04:39
There is a new program out that is well worth the 15$ price tag called NPC Designer. It does exactly what the name entails.

DEVS: The programmer of this application is working for a function to port the NPC stat blocks to FG format. Then you can simply cut and paste the code.

Check it out!

https://www.rpgattitude.com/default.asp

Sandeman

richvalle
December 9th, 2005, 13:17
I started to take a look at their web page but was dragged off to something else and never went back. Is the conversion going to be via macro or some such?

rv

Vascant
December 9th, 2005, 17:52
Some such?

The functionality is already in place to handle different style outputs, currently we handle DM Genie's import stat block, the new stat block format and some others designed by users.

I am going to try and have the FG format available to be tested sometime today.

richvalle
December 9th, 2005, 18:00
Some such?

The functionality is already in place to handle different style outputs, currently we handle DM Genie's import stat block, the new stat block format and some others designed by users.

Sorry... my 'some such' = 'or something'.

Let us know how it goes and how the npc would get into FG. I think it would have to be cut and pasted into the FG XML file, correct?

I might not be able NOT to buy this. :)

rv

kalmarjan
December 9th, 2005, 18:23
The code would have to be pasted into FG just like the other converters. But Hey! Just think about how easy it will be to make the NPC's.

Vascant has a first class company! I only spoke to him about 12 hours ago, and already beginning coding! Amazing!

Vascant
December 9th, 2005, 18:45
Some such?

Sorry... my 'some such' = 'or something'.

Let us know how it goes and how the npc would get into FG. I think it would have to be cut and pasted into the FG XML file, correct?

I might not be able NOT to buy this. :)

rv

Thats not up to me, if FantasyGround has an API set so that I can import directly into it, I am game there as well. The initial goal will be to achieve the correct format just in cut and paste though.

NeoDante
December 10th, 2005, 01:29
Looking forward to how this might work out-I've heard of the program before and would really like to see it work 'easily' with FG-that would be key for me (as I'm barely able to figure out how to post on these boards. :wink: ) as far as making a buy.

kalmarjan
December 13th, 2005, 20:48
Well, so far the code has come a long way towards FG. And such short turnaround time! When I get home, I am itching to test it out.... so I will let you all know right away!

Can't wait! <rubs hands in glee>

Sandeman

richvalle
December 13th, 2005, 21:28
Thanks! I was going to ask about this as nothing had been posted.

Let us know!

rv

kalmarjan
December 14th, 2005, 02:12
Okay! This is sooooo exciting! 8)

This program now generates npc data randomly. here is an example of what it spit out for me:

<node name="00001">
<stringvalue name="ac">AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14</stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="advancement"></stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="alignment">NE</stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="atk">mwk heavy pick +5 (1d6+3/x4)</stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="babgrp">1/+4</stringvalue>
<intvalue name="charisma">13</intvalue>
<intvalue name="constitution">16</intvalue>
<intvalue name="cr">1</intvalue>
<intvalue name="dexterity">16</intvalue>
<stringvalue name="environment"></stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="feats">Combat Reflexes, Track</stringvalue>
<intvalue name="fortitudesave">+5</intvalue>
<stringvalue name="fullatk">Melee:mwk heavy pick +5 (1d6+3/x4) Ranged: </stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="hd">1</stringvalue>
<intvalue name="hp">15</intvalue>
<intvalue name="init">3 (+3 Dex)</intvalue>
<intvalue name="intelligence">14</intvalue>
<stringvalue name="leveladjustment"></stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="name">Payalired</stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="organization"></stringvalue>
<intvalue name="reflexsave">+3</intvalue>
<stringvalue name="skills">Climb +7 (+4 ranks, +3 str), Handle Animal +5 (+4 ranks, +1 cha), Intimidate +5 (+4 ranks, +1 cha), Jump +11 (+4 ranks, +3 str, +4 speed), Listen +6 (+4 ranks, +2 wis), Ride +7 (+4 ranks, +3 dex), Survival +6 (+4 ranks, +2 wis).</stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="spacereach">5 ft./5 ft.</stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="specialattacks">rage 1/day</stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="specialqualities">fast movement</stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="speed">40 ft. (8 squares)</stringvalue>
<intvalue name="strength">17</intvalue>
<formattedtext name="text">
<p><b>Personal Info:</b> Background: Dungeoneer, Ht: 6' 4", Wt: 210lbs, Hair: Black, Eyes: Brown, Age: 20.</p>
<p><b>Rage (Ex):</b> The following changes are in effect as long as Payalired rages:
<b>AC</b> 15, touch 11, flat 12
<b>hp</b> 17 (1HD)
<b>Fort</b> +7 <b>Will</b> +4
<b>Melee</b> mwk heavy pick +7 (1d6+5/x4)
<b>Base Atk</b> +1 <b>Grp</b> +6
<b>Abilities</b> Str 21, Con 20
<b>Skills</b> Climb +9 (+4 ranks, +5 str), Jump +13 (+4 ranks, +5 str, +4 speed).
His fit of rage lasts for 8 rounds, though he may voluntarily end it prematurely. After raging, he is fatigued (-2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, can't charge or run) for the duration of that encounter. Payalired can fly into a rage only once per encounter and only one time per day. Entering a rage takes no time by itself, but Payalired can do it only during his action, not in response to someone else's action.</p>

</formattedtext>
<stringvalue name="treasure"></stringvalue>
<stringvalue name="type">Male Human Barbarian 1</stringvalue>
<intvalue name="willsave">+2</intvalue>
<intvalue name="wisdom">14</intvalue>
</node>

The only thing of note, right now you need to manually change the <node name="#####"> value to what the current number is, but otherwise this code works!

I suggest anyone interested in this little gem head over there... this guy is amazing!

Right now everything is in the works, as this is a fledgeling program (much like FG), but later there looks like there will be a full fledged encounter generator as well.!

Sandeman

Vascant
December 14th, 2005, 16:09
Just an FYI:
The node issue has been resolved and will be released in today's update. You will be able to select the starting node you desire and from there it will count upward as you create more NPCs.

I really do not consider NPC Designer as a "fledgeling program" at this point, the original goal and focus has been achieved and now we are just expanding that focus into other areas based on user suggestions (like the Fantasy Grounds Import). Now specific areas of the program are new, a good example would be Encounter Designer which allows you to create an entire encounter rather then 1 NPC. This was just finished up 2 weeks ago, combine that with the holiday month and you have very few people writing scripts for it.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask

kalmarjan
December 14th, 2005, 18:28
I really do not consider NPC Designer as a "fledgeling program" at this point, the original goal and focus has been achieved and now we are just expanding that focus into other areas based on user suggestions (like the Fantasy Grounds Import). Now specific areas of the program are new, a good example would be Encounter Designer which allows you to create an entire encounter rather then 1 NPC. This was just finished up 2 weeks ago, combine that with the holiday month and you have very few people writing scripts for it.

Sorry! Did not mean it the way that it came out... :oops:

What I meant to say is that this program is ever evolving, and not in a "this is final" that's it that's all stage.

Let me say that this program and the people behind it are top notch! I just mentioned the node thing last night, and already it is fixed the way I asked!

:)

Anyone who has a use for this, one peice of advice: Buy Buy Buy!

I am in no way recieving comensation for that last staement. LOL

Sandeman

Vascant
December 14th, 2005, 18:56
I like that.. Ever evolving :)

I look at it like this, I know most of the people who use NPC Designer game at least once a week and they may encounter something such as a problem or a new feature that would make their gaming life easier and better. So I try to update the project a few times a week so that users have the best and most recent features possible.

Stillfoxx
January 11th, 2006, 17:50
"Ever evolving" is great term indeed!

I just purchased the Gold version...I've never touched anything of this sort before, but I'm just getting into the "e" elements of table top (and virtual table top with FG.) I'm looking forward to less focus on the technical aspects (not including the learning curve of course!) and more on the RP aspects...these tools are great for this!

Thanks FG and NPC gurus!