PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk campaign

Niles
March 13th, 2017, 17:13
I was thinking of starting a Steampunk campaign but didn't know where to start with Fantasy Grounds. Is Savage Worlds with the Deadlands setting a good place for wild west steampunk? Or would Pathfinder using Pure Steam work better?

Mike

Wookiee420
March 13th, 2017, 20:41
Those are two massively different systems. I would first decide what you want PF or SW then decide which steampunk world you want...There are plenty of options out there in every system that you can find your setting easily. Biggest thing, is do you want the bookkeeping and battle system in PF or the less bookkeeping more cinematic battle system of SW?

Niles
March 13th, 2017, 21:08
Those are two massively different systems. I would first decide what you want PF or SW then decide which steampunk world you want...There are plenty of options out there in every system that you can find your setting easily. Biggest thing, is do you want the bookkeeping and battle system in PF or the less bookkeeping more cinematic battle system of SW?

I should ask this...is Deadlands specifically a steampunk setting? Or a wild west setting that a steampunk campaign can take place in? Thanks for any info...

Mike

Topdecker
March 13th, 2017, 22:10
Deadlands is the weird west. It terms of comic books, it has much in common with Jonah Hex, the Sixth Gun, and Pariah, Missouri. It is a mashup of spaghetti westerns and something approaching the call of Cthulhu - some evil, mystical undercurrent. It does have plenty of steam-punkish technology items (gattling pistols, automatons, gyrocopters, jetpacks, a funky jet ski device), but it doesn't necessarily revel in them.

Anyhow, it has some of the trappings of Steampunk and a GM could bring them into focus, but most of these items are expensive and uncommon at best.

There are a couple of settings for Savage Worlds that probably are more recognized as having heavy Steampunk roots. Look for THE WIDENING GYRE and RUNEPUNK. I don't know if either of these is being ported to Fantasy Grounds.

Niles
March 13th, 2017, 22:24
Deadlands is the weird west. It terms of comic books, it has much in common with Jonah Hex, the Sixth Gun, and Pariah, Missouri. It is a mashup of spaghetti westerns and something approaching the call of Cthulhu - some evil, mystical undercurrent. It does have plenty of steam-punkish technology items (gattling pistols, automatons, gyrocopters, jetpacks, a funky jet ski device), but it doesn't necessarily revel in them.

Anyhow, it has some of the trappings of Steampunk and a GM could bring them into focus, but most of these items are expensive and uncommon at best.

There are a couple of settings for Savage Worlds that probably are more recognized as having heavy Steampunk roots. Look for THE WIDENING GYRE and RUNEPUNK. I don't know if either of these is being ported to Fantasy Grounds.

Thanks for the info, Topdecker! Deadlands sounds interesting, but I will look into the the widening gyre and runepunk, since I'm looking for a heavy steampunk vibe.

Topdecker
March 13th, 2017, 22:32
Another setting: The Kerberos Club

damned
March 14th, 2017, 07:55
There is a Space 1889 offering over on Bundle of Holding.
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Space1889
Im in the process of adding a Ubiquity roll to MoreCore too.

Mask_of_winter
March 14th, 2017, 08:38
There's also Steamscapes and Clockwork Dreams for Savage Worlds.