PDA

View Full Version : D&D Beyond

Patou
March 13th, 2017, 15:22
Hi FG Team,

Is this new software service something that could eventually be compatible with FG. Are you guys going to remain a strong player as a VTT?

Note: From what I am seeing this will be more a tool but not a VTT. Currently with my last purchase of all D&D 5E material on FG in order not to luck out on anything this future service has me wondering if all that was done too fast. Maybe provide some input could help clear up a few questions.

Thank you:)

leozelig
March 13th, 2017, 23:24
If it's anything like D&D Insider, I would say your investment in FG was a great move :p

vodokar
March 13th, 2017, 23:54
I'm pretty sure this is basically the new replacement for D&D Insider. Based on my experience with the old one, you could make a character and export it to xml, which could then be imported directly into FG. If the new one has that functionality, it might be useful; though certainly not necessary. In no way, shape or form, however, does it appear that this new version has anything to do with being a virtual tabletop.

Zhern
March 14th, 2017, 03:58
From what the Curse person was saying, it doesn't sound like there will be an export option.

lostsanityreturned
March 14th, 2017, 06:16
From what the Curse person was saying, it doesn't sound like there will be an export option.

So depending on their pricing model, it is a relatively limited app -laughs-
Still, there aren't any good phone character sheets out there. So I guess there is some value.

Personally I would use the roll20 sheet on a tablet though and fantasy grounds should be great when unity eventuallllyyyy drops and there is an android version.
Dear lord could I go for an android version or a version that doesn't run like a snail on morphine on my windows tablet.

All of this said, if I can get monster modules for minimal cost and they function well. I would use that.

ddavison
March 14th, 2017, 15:19
I met with the Sr. Director for the D&D Brand last Friday and this is another tool for people to use that will fill a certain niche. There might be some overlap with what we offer, but it is not being billed as a direct competitor. We have seen an increase in sales since Roll20 joined with a directly competing product, so a potentially complementary product offering could potentially help even more.

LordEntrails
March 14th, 2017, 20:39
I met with the Sr. Director for the D&D Brand last Friday and this is another tool for people to use that will fill a certain niche. There might be some overlap with what we offer, but it is not being billed as a direct competitor. We have seen an increase in sales since Roll20 joined with a directly competing product, so a potentially complementary product offering could potentially help even more.
Interesting to hear that Roll20's release of official 5E content has increased FG sales. I think (and hope) you are right that another official 5E digital tool will continue that trend.

I suspect that as more digital tools become available, more people start using one digital tool, then they look at what other digital tools are available and they start using those that are good, and etc...

It still amazes me how often on other forums people show their ignorance thinking that there are not ANY digital tools available for 5E.

ddavison
March 14th, 2017, 20:47
Yes. I don't have any insights into how they are doing, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they are continually growing as well. It certainly feels like we are all still scratching the surface of what the market could actually be.

JohnD
March 14th, 2017, 22:16
Interesting to hear that Roll20's release of official 5E content has increased FG sales. I think (and hope) you are right that another official 5E digital tool will continue that trend.

I suspect that as more digital tools become available, more people start using one digital tool, then they look at what other digital tools are available and they start using those that are good, and etc...

It still amazes me how often on other forums people show their ignorance thinking that there are not ANY digital tools available for 5E.

Its probably also people looking at what they get for their "it's free it's free" and then wondering what FG offers for comparatively a few more dollars especially when they realize "it's free it's free" is actually anything but.

However, I appear to be in a mood today, so perhaps I'm wrong about this too.

LordEntrails
March 15th, 2017, 01:25
Its probably also people looking at what they get for their "it's free it's free" and then wondering what FG offers for comparatively a few more dollars especially when they realize "it's free it's free" is actually anything but.

However, I appear to be in a mood today, so perhaps I'm wrong about this too.
I don't think you're wrong. I think what we are both getting at is that any digital tool brings in some number of people that are completely new to digital tools for RPGs. Some of those will also then migrate into other digital tools (competitors or complementary tools), so that the market of users expands and all digital tools that are perceived as being beneficial and valuable benefit.

Dax Doomslayer
March 15th, 2017, 02:43
I'm a bit late to the party but from what they're saying, the WoTC product isn't going to be angling toward the VTT. On EN World they quoted "Adam" at D&D Beyond and he stated: "And also that D&D Beyond is definitely not a Virtual Game Table (VTT): "D&D Beyond is intended to enhance gameplay around a table (virtual or otherwise) - we intend this to be completely complementary and have no intention of creating a VTT."

Here's the URL: https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3906-D-D-Beyond-An-Official-D-D-Digital-Toolset-Character-Builder#.WMibszsrLuo#ixzz4bM3AXW98"

JeffKnight
March 15th, 2017, 09:34
Yeah, it's billed more as a character manager for 5e. I'm just hoping they don't micro-transaction us to death since they've already said it will require a subscription to have the full feature set. If they do, I won't be using it, since I already buy the hardcovers and pay for them again in Fantasy Grounds (worth every penny). It would be ok if it is just the monthly subscription, since I probably pay that now in printing costs, but if it's subscription + books, I don't think it will do very well.

Dax Doomslayer
March 15th, 2017, 14:11
According to Adam, this won't be a 'microtransaction' type of model. In that link he is quoted: "Adam over at D&D Beyond confirmed a little about the pricing model:

"At launch, players will be able to access SRD content and build and view a small number of characters with a free D&D Beyond account.
We don’t have exact pricing nailed down, but you will also be able to buy official digital D&D content for all fifth edition products with flexible purchase options. You can pay only for the D&D content you need. If you only play fighters, for example, you’ll be able to just pick up the stuff you need to track swinging that giant two-handed sword.
A small monthly subscription will be needed to manage more than a handful of characters and to enable more advanced features, like homebrew content integration. At this time, we don’t know exactly how much the subscription will cost."
He also confirmed that the pricing structure is not about microtransactions: "I'm about to get on a plane so I've got to be brief, but I wanted to check in and make it clear that "microtransactions" were not mentioned and are not what the model is about."

JeffKnight
March 15th, 2017, 20:22
but you will also be able to buy official digital D&D content for all fifth edition products with flexible purchase options. You can pay only for the D&D content you need. If you only play fighters, for example, you’ll be able to just pick up the stuff you need to track swinging that giant two-handed sword.

That's the part that worries me. He says that the pricing structure is not about microtransactions, but basically confirms that they will be there with his previous statement.

sturtus
March 15th, 2017, 20:39
I really wish Wizards would learn what a RESTful API is.

Dax Doomslayer
March 15th, 2017, 20:40
Ahhh - I see your point. I read that as they'll offer the full thing at one price or you can maybe get a subset at another lesser price if that's all you want. Not that you have to get the "Big Book of Fighters" then the "Brainy Tome of Wizards" then the "Holiest Bible of Clerics" packs individually to get all the content.

LordEntrails
March 15th, 2017, 21:26
I read it to me a lot like SW has done with FG. You can buy the PHB if you want, or you can just buy the Fighter Class pack if that's all you are interested in.

Dax Doomslayer
March 15th, 2017, 21:48
Right LordEntrails. That's how I was reading it too.

Patou
March 16th, 2017, 14:38
Proud I'm on board with FG with all the books then. I guess D&D Beyond will be a great tool for the DM who wants to create NPC's by transferring items and feats and magic equipment etc. and having it all add up and calculate everything if it actually works and doing the write up automatically. (to be seen)

JohnD
March 16th, 2017, 18:06
Proud I'm on board with FG with all the books then. I guess D&D Beyond will be a great tool for the DM who wants to create NPC's by transferring items and feats and magic equipment etc. and having it all add up and calculate everything if it actually works and doing the write up automatically. (to be seen)

That's quite a lot like the NPC Builder utility I suggested would be great for FG's 5e. It's in the Idea Informer site somewhere.

Dax Doomslayer
March 16th, 2017, 18:54
For those interested, here's an interview with the Product Manager Adam Bradford...

https://www.tribality.com/2017/03/15/dd-beyond-qa-with-curses-senior-product-manager-adam-bradford/

epithet
March 17th, 2017, 16:19

I'd pay for that, either from FG or D&D Beyond. What I'm less enthusiastic about is their apparent plan to charge people who have purchased their product more than once already for the same thing in another wrapper.

I get that there is no real way to check for someone's purchase of the hardcover books, but that does not apply to the purchase of content from the Fantasy Grounds store, or from Steam, or from Roll 20. I think WotC has an ethical obligation to unlock within DDB whatever content we've already purchased on a digital platform.

LordEntrails
March 18th, 2017, 03:06
.... I think WotC has an ethical obligation to unlock within DDB whatever content we've already purchased on a digital platform.
I'd disagree. It's in a new format (albeit a digital format) and the formats are not interchangeable. Plus there has to be a lot of work done to make it available in another (digital) format. Now, I do think a discount is reasonable to ask for. I.e. pay for content once, pay for format for each platform or style.

Someday, all the content may be structured in such a way to allow for rapid and near resource free styling and use in other formats, but not yet :(

celestian
March 19th, 2017, 00:59
I really wish Wizards would learn what a RESTful API is.

+1000