PDA

View Full Version : Best way to maintain changes to .mod files (npcs/items/spells/etc)?

celestian
March 13th, 2017, 06:38
Right now I have a campaign for each module I make. So, NPCs/monsters have one, Skills have another, spells another and so on. The quandary I find myself in tho is when I do something like make a adventure module and have to add a new monster/item ... how do you manage those differences so that you can back-fill them into the module campaign and use it elsewhere.

Right now im guessing that I have to add the items manually to the campaign's (spells/npcs/items/etc) that I am using to manage those types of mod files.

Is there a better way? What would really be nice is if I could just "export" the diffs from one campaign and then import it into the one I use to build.

Nylanfs
March 13th, 2017, 14:11
Build everything in a master campaign for that specific module, then export out to the module. Sometimes you may have to revert changes in your play campaign to get the new changes to show.

celestian
March 13th, 2017, 15:30
Build everything in a master campaign for that specific module, then export out to the module. Sometimes you may have to revert changes in your play campaign to get the new changes to show.

Guess I wasn't very clear. That's what I do.

As I said I have a campaign for my NPCs module. The problem is when I create an adventure module (in it's own campaign) and find I need to add a monster or something I have to manually go back to the NPC campaign and add it there if I want it to show up in the module. What I was hoping was there is a better way to handle that. What would really be useful is a export of all non-module NPCs like you can do characters and then I could go back to the NPC campaign and import those.

I'm guessing there isn't a better way to do this.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2017, 15:34
What would really be useful is a export of all non-module NPCs like you can do characters and then I could go back to the NPC campaign and import those.
There is this functionality and you're already familiar with it - modules.

Export your NPCs from your campaign into a temporary module, then open that in your master NPC module making campaign. Drag/drop the temp module NPCs in the campaign data list - this copies them to the campaign.

celestian
March 13th, 2017, 16:35
There is this functionality and you're already familiar with it - modules.

Export your NPCs from your campaign into a temporary module, then open that in your master NPC module making campaign. Drag/drop the temp module NPCs in the campaign data list - this copies them to the campaign.

Hum, I just checked and it does appear to have the new creatures but not the "updated" ones. I think I need to go back in the adventure module campaign, copy those to a new category and then when I export they would show up? I'll poke at it a bit and see what I can come up with, thanks ;)

Trenloe
March 13th, 2017, 16:56
Hum, I just checked and it does appear to have the new creatures but not the "updated" ones. I think I need to go back in the adventure module campaign, copy those to a new category and then when I export they would show up?
It will include the full NPCs that are in the campaign data - i.e. they've been copied from a module or created new. If you just edited a NPC that is in a module (look for the book/quill icon to the right of the record) then these are not exported as they are module records, not campaign records.

Varsuuk
March 13th, 2017, 18:43
... If you just edited a NPC that is in a module (look for the book/quill icon to the right of the record) then these are not exported as they are module records, not campaign records.
At work so can't test to see if understood. Do you mean, like unlocking npc from module...editing (where in effect creates an "override" for THIS campaign versus dragging from the module entry to campaign creating a duplicate of that then editing it...which would then exist as a member of your campaign and would be exported with the update?

Trenloe
March 13th, 2017, 18:48
At work so can't test to see if understood. Do you mean, like unlocking npc from module...editing (where in effect creates an "override" for THIS campaign versus dragging from the module entry to campaign creating a duplicate of that then editing it...
I was referring to editing module records - but as an exception. Edited module records are indicated by the book and quill icon - book icon meaning the record is from a module, quill meaning it's been edited in the campaign.

... which would then exist as a member of your campaign and would be exported with the update?
Nope. That's why I said "then these are not exported as they are module records".

Only fully fledged campaign records that "have been copied from a module or created new" will be exported.

Varsuuk
March 13th, 2017, 21:47
The first part you quoted was me trying to see what you mean by editing module records. I guessed it might entail clicking on a book icon entry ( the example I used was an npc defined in the module) and clicking the lock to unlocked and then editing that entry.

From what U understood of the content of your response to what I said, it sounds like that was a valid statement. But not sure if instead you meant it to correct what I said?

The second quote you cut the sentence start off which says "versus copy/pasting npc ... which would, etc", i.e. I said if you edit by unlock, it don't export. if you copy and past and THEN edit, you export the changes.

Which all was my trying to understand the difference you planned to us since i had never edited a module and only ever copied and entry before edit but never exported the copy yet.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2017, 22:33
@Varsuuk Was there a question there? Have you read back through what I've posted and is it clearer now?

I suggest you wait until you get in front of a PC so you can try what I've described.