PDA

View Full Version : NPC Immunities

Varsuuk
March 12th, 2017, 09:31
For example, a skeleton is "Because of their boney nature, any slashing or piercing weapons do half damage, while blunt weapons do normal damage." but there is nothing specific on the NPC sheet for this.

In this case, do we add a Campaign effect for this and manually apply it at start of encounters?

Varsuuk
March 12th, 2017, 10:19
Meant "resistance" in title.

So, how do we do this in encounters?
(Mind you, I am converting a module without ever having PLAYED C&C... fun times huh?) ;)

Fighter with short sword attacks a Skeleton (hp 4) and hits.

Players drags the dmg dice, 1d6 to Skeleton. Roll ends up 6. Skeleton dies. [OOPS]

DM says, umm sorry - mistake, let me adjust Skel hps they were too low (sad bluff) - I change damage taken from 6 to 3. Skeleton has 1 hp.

The problem here is that I'd like to keep npc resistances / vulnerabilities not so obvious at first until they get to know a creature well. Doesn't look like that's an option when using this ruleset.
Looks like I should stop and watch some C&C videos to get feel for how things go. I took too much for granted from 5e (also see why C&C, for example doesn't get more traction on FG)

I'm guessing the player rolls normal dmg and CK adjusts, I don't see a way to do 1/2 dmg any easier yet.

Sleepy time...

JohnD
March 12th, 2017, 14:09
I could be wrong but I don't think that the effects are that advanced in c&c as 5e or Pathfinder. There is no damage type built in other than informational purposes only. So, the CK will have to do this manually. Perhaps a strictly informative effect would remind the CK, but that would have to be deliberately placed on the skeleton once it was added to the CT.

I may be wrong about this... someone who has more experience will undoubtedly chime in.

Varsuuk
March 12th, 2017, 16:51
Well, as you said, I may be wrong but applying logic and coding experience:

I see that creating "Branch (1d3)" (a goblin uses that as a weapon) works fine for dmg rolls.
As does "Spear (1d6)" but not "Spear." There is no difference, in fact, between "Spear (1d6)" and "Spire (1d6)" - no lookup is done, so the things outside of the () are descriptive only.

More telling is that if you go to Items, you will see there is no "damage type" or the like for weapons.

John, you never had to run or fight skeletons? How did the CK run the damage?

JohnD
March 12th, 2017, 17:15
There's no weapon or attack type lookup/reference. Its all ad hoc CK side. Personally I've never worried about it for skeletons, flat of the weapon and all that.

Varsuuk
March 12th, 2017, 23:25
OMG "flat of the weapon" that tickled some way back machine playing memories.