PDA

View Full Version : NPC from PC

JimSocks
March 12th, 2017, 04:01
So, I am SURE there has to be a thread about this SOMEWHERE, but my searches have come up empty...

Is there an extension out there that will allow me to build my most important NPCs as PCs first and convert them over? Thus allowing me to drag and drop abilities, equipment, and spells? Creating PCs just seems more fully-fleshed out and intuitive (as it SHOULD be I suppose). I just want to be able to easily create my story's main NPCs with lots of detail easily, and the NPC creator is a bit clunky for that it seems to me...

Has someone published an extension for this?

JohnD
March 12th, 2017, 04:43
What ruleset?

Edit: AFAIK, Savage Worlds is the only one that can do this.

shadowdragonlair
March 12th, 2017, 05:06
just make it as a PC and right click and take ownership that how i'm doing it for now

JimSocks
March 12th, 2017, 07:09
just make it as a PC and right click and take ownership that how i'm doing it for now

That's what I do for campaigns I am running, but this is for a module I am creating so it's no good for my purpose.

JohnD: Bummer. Thanks for the reply though!

Trenloe
March 12th, 2017, 21:33
Assuming you're talking about 5E?

The DMs Guide covers how to create NPCs and this is a different process from creating PCs. Plus the PC sheet is very different from the NPC sheet. So coding conversion of the PC data to a NPC would be fraught with issues as there is no clearly defined process within 5E to do this. There are many areas that would be left up to DM interpretation. Or you'd end up with a NPC record that was huge due to trying to cover every PC ability/trait/feat etc. within the NPC stat block.

JimSocks
March 13th, 2017, 03:58
PC characters can't be included inside modules right? I'm not near my computer or I'd check but I'm relatively certain they can't.

I would totally leave them as GM-controllable PCs if they could be rolled right into the module, but I don't want to have to include separate PC XML files alongside the module because for the masses that's a clunky solution.

What I am after IS complex NPCs with plenty of abilities. I've began building complete PCs and slowly porting them over to the NPC window. It's taking forever lol.

P.S. I am indeed running 5E, sorry for forgetting to mention that as it's pretty important for my question!

Trenloe
March 13th, 2017, 06:37
PC characters can't be included inside modules right? I'm not near my computer or I'd check but I'm relatively certain they can't.
You can, with a little bit of manual XML editing: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31321-Exporting-player-characters-to-a-module&p=270921&viewfull=1#post270921

A good example of the result of this is the pregens in the Lost Mine of Phandelver module.