PDA

View Full Version : One for the Devs & Community Devs - Please HELP!

dulux-oz
March 12th, 2017, 01:30
Hey Guys,

What would be causing the system to get "stuck" on a tab on the Character Sheet?

Based off the 4E Ruleset, we've added a new page by using '<tabs_charsheet name="tabs" merge="replace">' on the "charsheet" windowclass. Everything seems fine and we can switch from page to page without problem, until we select the new page and then we can't switch off of it (within the character sheet - we can select other objects inside and outside FG). The only way to resolve things is to re-start FG.

Its almost as if the tab-control has become disabled when the new page/tab is selected - like its being "hidden" behind another (invisible) control or something - but I've checked and I can see anything that would be doing this.

Has anyone seen this behavior before and/or could offer a possible trouble-shooting route - its a bit difficult to post screenshots and/or code-samples (I'll do it if necessary) because I'd have to post the entire Ruleset (and we don't want to do that - yet).

Thanks in advance for the help - and we really DO need your help, because this bug makes the Ruleset un-publishable.

Cheers

Paul Pratt
March 12th, 2017, 04:04
dulux, is the new tab replacing an existing one? Or did you add a new tab for another record?

I just made a quick extension using merge="add" for my new tab. The sheet is fine, I am able to navigate properly.

dulux-oz
March 12th, 2017, 04:11
New one - and I think I've worked out what's going on (well, worked out how to fix it, anyway)

I think we can safely close this one out - thanks :)

Paul Pratt
March 12th, 2017, 04:22
Well, I was able to recreate it. What was the cause?

What I had to do to get merge="add" to work was:

<windowclass name="charsheet" merge="join">

include the new subwindow definition

then: "<tabs_charsheet name="tabs" merge="add">

I included all the tabs and my new tab though.

If I included just the new tab it worked as you described above.

Is this similar to what you ended up with?

Just curious. When I did Dark Heresy and Warhammer 2e I changed CoreRPG. Working on a few new things and writing them as extensions. I have run into a few issues working this way. Your findings will provide some insight perhaps for others too.

dulux-oz
March 12th, 2017, 04:46
A width setting that was being overwritten/modified by another control caused another (invisible) object to partially overlay the tab-control - as I sort of sub-consciously knew (as I mentioned that possibility in the first post)

Sometimes the very act of asking a question (or typing it, in this case) triggers the sub-conscious mind down a slightly different logic path and you come up with the answer - its part of the basis for psychoanalysis and also for brainstorming in groups - by having to frame the problem in a clear and concise (and sometimes different) way forces the mind to tackle the issue from a different direction.

Its why I never discourage people from asking question :)

Thanks for beg my "sounding board" :o

Cheers

pindercarl
March 12th, 2017, 04:53
@dulux-oz Rubber duck debugging is a real thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging More typically, it is over the shoulder programming wherein you explain it to someone in person. I think forum posts qualify as something in the middle.

dulux-oz
March 12th, 2017, 05:01
@dulux-oz Rubber duck debugging is a real thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging More typically, it is over the shoulder programming wherein you explain it to someone in person. I think forum posts qualify as something in the middle.

Ain't that the truth :)

Although I prefer my "rubber duck" to be able to ask pertinent questions - hence me conversing with my peers and fellow devs

Varsuuk
March 13th, 2017, 00:46
Quack?

dulux-oz
March 13th, 2017, 01:09
Quack?

I prefer the term "alternate medicinal practitioner" myself.

And if that's a rubber duck shouldn't it be "squeak?"